Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

He didnt mention the snow turning to sleet & rain- East & NE kent at first but spreading west after around 24 hours of intermittent snow-

UKMO is good, once we get the recurve of SE winds that will bring back some lower dewpoints-

Steve

Was that quote from yamkin in regards to tonight/tomorrow? because so far all i've heard is that I will be getting 1-2cm at best around here.. do you think that my area could get a few inches as well? thanks

Was that quote from yamkin in regards to tonight/tomorrow? because so far all i've heard is that I will be getting 1-2cm at best around here.. do you think that my area could get a few inches as well? thanks

This event in terms of the PPN modelling from the NAE has always been SE of London down to Medway with a sharp cut off zones to the North & to a lesser extent the west & SW--

2cms, or if your lucky a bit more- we really need to see how the front interacts with the convective nature of the flow- its currently just getting into SE kent-

Steve

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

He didnt mention the snow turning to sleet & rain- East & NE kent at first but spreading west after around 24 hours of intermittent snow-

this is probably the end for NE kent-

UKMO is good, once we get the recurve of SE winds that will bring back some lower dewpoints-

Steve

Yep i'd go with that , the thaw is setting in 2C with more and more sleet... We need a constant stream of moderate snow to bring those temps back down

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Could someone please inform me where the snow for tonight is coming from?

Most probably from the sky :acute: .

Posted

Steve

Runs for cover

Posted

Temperature risen to +1.1C now, drip, drip,drip

Yes 1.3C here. Can only rise so far before the forthcoming snow isn't snow at all! Is this unexpected / temporary. If this is milder uppers will they lower again?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

This event in terms of the PPN modelling from the NAE has always been SE of London down to Medway with a sharp cut off zones to the North & to a lesser extent the west & SW--

2cms, or if your lucky a bit more- we really need to see how the front interacts with the convective nature of the flow- its currently just getting into SE kent-

Steve

Thanks good.gif

Posted

It's been a while since I was last in North West London, but does your picture show what it looks like these days?

:lol:

CB

The Greenland ice cap must have melted entirely while we weren't looking, CB. :clap:

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

Heavy and big flakes here now ,blowing all over the place,cool,lets hope we all get a good dumping guysdrinks.gif

You should have taken a walk up to Race Hill today or one of the hillier areas. There's been quite a big dump today already!

Posted

Hmm, 12z NAE shows rain/sleet and the snow moving off to the west for Mon 06z :/

Would that be transient Dave, or an evolution to milder temps

Jan

Personally I think it's faulty as this cold will be hard to shift.

The mild coastal temps today (Sleet/thaw etc) were expected, the main event is later on overnight and into tomorrow and will be snow!

Posted
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey

The Greenland ice cap must have melted entirely while we weren't looking, CB. wink.gif

:clap:

Posted

Sorry, bit of a specific question - but anyone know when the heaviest part of the front's due to cross SE London? Have to trek off to Wembley and don't fancy getting caught later if/when the transport system grinds to a halt...

Yesterday's radar had it coming across midnight/early hours...

Thanks!

Posted

You should have taken a walk up to Race Hill today or one of the hillier areas. There's been quite a big dump today already!

Cool,well it is still very heavy now and pretty big flakes,lets hope it carrys on over nightpardon.gif

Posted

ame='lupiejan' date='09 January 2010 - 18:28 ' timestamp='1263058126' post='1729674']

Personally I think it's faulty as this cold will be hard to shift.

The mild coastal temps today (Sleet/thaw etc) were expected, the main event is later on overnight and into tomorrow and will be snow!

Thanks. The models seem to be having a problem interpreting this front correctly

Posted

1.4C here at the moment but definitely not sleety (yet) - light to moderate snow but the flakes are floating well in the wind (how scientific can you get!!) :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold.. snow ..freezing fog..ice ..very hot

Steve

steve are we going to be ok where we are for heavy snow sad.gif ???????

Posted

12z UKMO Meso shows the mild temps will bring sleet/rain to coastlines, while inland, showers will readily turn to snow.

I am about a mile from Brighton sea front and it is snowing heavy with rather large flakes,yippeepardon.gif

Posted

Thanks. The models seem to be having a problem interpreting this front correctly

Paul Blight on UKww has just commented that there is an issue with the algorithm that calculates precip, and when it's light will incorrectly model it as rain/sleet etc instead of snow.

I am about a mile from Brighton sea front and it is snowing heavy with rather large flakes,yippeepardon.gif

Should of said, eastern coastline

Posted

Sorry, bit of a specific question - but anyone know when the heaviest part of the front's due to cross SE London? Have to trek off to Wembley and don't fancy getting caught later if/when the transport system grinds to a halt...

Yesterday's radar had it coming across midnight/early hours...

Thanks!

Sorry guys another Londoner here. What is the general feeling for tonight? And which parts of town are favoured. Fancy sledding tomorrow be want to know where to go (I'm guessing west London is not favoured tonight!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Hail Showers :p