Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

B) that's just made me spit my wine all over the laptop......squid indeed!!!!

I've never met a squid that wasn't damp mind you! B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold.. snow ..freezing fog..ice ..very hot

People need to slow down and read the posts. Steve M has explained that our Snow in the SE is convective and this will be enhanced by the upper warm front currently poised across the channel. The parts currently predicited to have the heaviest snow are NW Kent, NE Surrey and NE Sussex.

that means we will miss outcray.gif

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

People need to slow down and read the posts. Steve M has explained that our Snow in the SE is convective and this will be enhanced by the upper warm front currently poised across the channel. The parts currently predicited to have the heaviest snow are NW Kent, NE Surrey and NE Sussex.

Is that in regards to the coming front moving North-West over the Channel from France. It was predicted to bring us light snow, and that's what it is bringing to those areas in France. However as we have seen today with this minor front developing into something bigger due to convection and instability, are we expecting this front to also pep up in intensity as it passes over the channel?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

i'll be happy if we get an inch or more here, you say NE surrey could do well? (my location never does well :wallbash: )

Posted

No. There is a front moving up from France that will give us the snow this evening

Jan

Jan,

Can I expect anything here, from the front? Probably just lighter snow/showers as it loses strength over land cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

I have just walked back from Woodingdean to top of Elm Grove in Brighton. Was snowing heavily around 4.30 and near blizzard conditions on the top of the hills with drifting of the lying snow from the fields. Very spectacular.

For those of you who know the area, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Warren Road between Brighton and Woodingdean completely blocked by mid-evening because of the falling snow and blowing snow.

Posted

So is SE Essex in line for the stuff on the continent forecast for tonight/tomorrow or is it all going North of us?

Anyone got a good idea?

Posted

Very strong NE wind 28mph,sleet and hail showers in Sandwich. :wallbash:

Current temp 2.9C

Amazing what a difference being away from coast and up a little bit (200ft absl) can make. Still "only" 1.3C here in Chartham just SW of Canterbury! :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

2c!! warmest it's been these last few evenings :wallbash:

Posted

Francis Wilson chief weather forecaster just interviewed on Sky News said that the SE including London will get 4 to 5 inches with drifts of a few feet. He thinks slightly milder conditions may come in next Sat/Sun, but the ppn from the West will be preceded by snow.

Francis has snow for the SE on Sunday to Tuesday.

Posted

Is that in regards to the coming front moving North-West over the Channel from France. It was predicted to bring us light snow, and that's what it is bringing to those areas in France. However as we have seen today with this minor front developing into something bigger due to convection and instability, are we expecting this front to also pep up in intensity as it passes over the channel?

Well I don't know technically, but the earlier lot built up so I'm going with that. :wallbash: :lol:

Snow flakes in the air again here!.

Posted

Francis Wilson chief weather forecaster just interviewed on Sky News said that the SE including London will get 4 to 5 inches with drifts of a few feet. He thinks slightly milder conditions may come in next Sat/Sun, but the ppn from the West will be preceded by snow.

yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

Posted

0.6ºc currently here is the lowest temp at this time all week! Far from mild, now just need to sort out the snow deflector that keeps diverting snow away from here! Can't complain as have 4cm or so of lying snow and an ice rink for a road - happy days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

and he better be right XD

He didnt mention the snow turning to sleet & rain- East & NE kent at first but spreading west after around 24 hours of intermittent snow-

this is probably the end for NE kent-

UKMO is good, once we get the recurve of SE winds that will bring back some lower dewpoints-

Steve

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

Heavy and big flakes here now ,blowing all over the place,cool,lets hope we all get a good dumping guysdrinks.gif

Posted

Mmmm I'll probably miss out but even so when is this meant to be? Tonight/tomorrow from that front coming up from France?