Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Lightish snow on & off most of the day, but a steady thaw of the lying snow (& we didn't have much to strart with!). I'm surprised none of the more "serious" posters picked this up. It was quite a common feature of Easterlies in the past. You get a few days of sunshine & snow showers (if you're lucky!). Then the cold air gradually runs out & you're left in a dull, raw, thouroughly unpleasant airstream. Damp with drizzle/snow grains & temperatures, ususally just above freezing by day & night. After a few days of this, you'll be begging for something, anything to come along & take the cloud & cold wind away.

to be fair i think a few of the more "serious" posters saw this coming. Much like the anticipated reload next week which I was hoping would occur, which now looks rather feeble imo

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Light snow falling here now.

Temp is falling nicely! 1.6c.

Posted

Slow thaw here today, tomorrow morning will certainly be fun with temps dropping to around about -2 it's going to be dreadfully icy out there with all the water.

I was just looking at the meto radar and it's doing something I've not seen before over Ireland - if you look at 17:00, 17:30 and then 18:00 over the Southern half of Ireland hopefully you'll see what I mean!

Edited by Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

the snow as, for the time being at least, lost some of its intensity although it is still falling and blowing about in the wind.

we've got a covering of maybe 1cm on the cars but nothing more.

the temperature amazingly is still at +0.1c and doesn't seem to want to drop any further.

Ian

Posted

I know what you mean it sometimes looks like a tornado made out of snow forming outside. It is mental all of a sudden the wind blows it up and then all of a sudden it blows loads of snow down. Hope the snow in Yorkshire makes its way over here.

Snowing moderately here, but no sign of any further accumulations.

Posted

Looks woeful for the south of the region particularly the mersey...may change later but the way things are currently going intensification as occured to the north of the region around 30/40 miles north.

That's what I saw!! What the heck?!

the coldest air is currently out toward the sw of ireland.

Posted

Looks woeful for the south of the region particularly the mersey...may change later but the way things are currently going intensification as occured to the north of the region around 30/40 miles north.

the coldest air is currently out toward the sw of ireland.

And the precip usually falls in a perfect circle does it?!

Posted

Snowing moderately here, but no sign of any further accumulations.

Snowing moderately here too but I don't think that wind is helping for any further accumulations the way its blowing the snow around outside. Here it has put down a small extra covering on the road on top of what there already was from earlier in the week.

Posted

And the precip usually falls in a perfect circle does it?!

just the radar return around the station is all it is, it will produce a perfect circle because of interferance. go to any american doppler station and you can pretty much see the same thing a lot of the time.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

The light snow has now turned to drizzle with large wet flakes mixed in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

I was up Kettleshulme-Wingdather way late this afternoon, pretty impressive drifting up there with the wind, proper wintry conditions to say the least.

Posted

The light snow has now turned to drizzle with large wet flakes mixed in.

to be expected since Liverpool's temps have been increasing slightly, along with the airport, which originally measured a drop as now increased to..this could get quite far inland.

Posted

Anyone think the cold record could be broken in Scotland?

-18c in Altnharra already!!!!!

to be expected since Liverpool's temps have been increasing slightly, along with the airport, which originally measured a drop as now increased to..this could get quite far inland.

My temp keeps dropping, down to 1.5c now!

Posted

Anyone think the cold record could be broken in Scotland?

-18c in Altnharra already!!!!!

My temp keeps dropping, down to 1.5c now!

I suspect there is a layer of warmer air beyond 2m which is causing snizzle and wet snow

Has been zero precip here at all, just bright orange snow clouds and nothing else, moving westards.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I do think the GFS is seriously going to struggle with a warm up now, giving strange low temperatures, having viewed the the latest GFS it give some bizarre temperatures like -10C which will not occur given the relatively high 850hPa temperatures and by then the chance of a thaw.

The thing is since the new GFS update was released it's been very cold and I think the GFS will start massively overdoing the extent of cold temperatures!

Posted

Not sure how it can since it will be contrary to wind direction

?

You got me there on that one. There is some strange temperature variations going on without any explanation. These temps are fluctuating though.

Posted

I do think the GFS is seriously going to struggle with a warm up now, giving strange low temperatures, having viewed the the latest GFS it give some bizarre temperatures like -10C which will not occur given the relatively high 850hPa temperatures and by then the chance of a thaw.

!

They can occur, Stephen. Under inversion conditions, they certainly can. You only have to look this time last year -9C at Yeovilton and yet the uppers were not cold.

Edited by Mr_Data