Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Wish the bbc would change there graphics more ofton still showing 12hrs of persistant light snow for Northwich

for tomorrow..............ERM i think not

C.S

Posted

They can occur, Stephen. Under inversion conditions, they certainly can. You only have to look this time last year -9C at Yeovilton and yet the uppers were not cold.

January 1982 being another example. Check out the charts near the end of the severe cold spell.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

January 1982 being another example. Check out the charts near the end of the severe cold spell.

Got to say this snow is being rather selective isnt it..no precip at all here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

They can occur, Stephen. Under inversion conditions, they certainly can. You only have to look this time last year -9C at Yeovilton and yet the uppers were not cold.

I'm aware they can happen under those conditions but in the areas shown? I'm very very sceptical.

The effects of inversion conditions are that it is a 'dome' effect which the lowest part of the extent by the coast and the highest part of the extend inland - I'm not sure it is not down to inversion because the GFS shows the following daytime temperatures recovering to 2C.

Very odd, in my opinion and very wrong... but as ever we'll see!

I know it has been cold but I get the feeling this new GFS model update is going to be as cold trigger happy as the previous model update seemed to be mild trigger happy!

Posted

Wish the bbc would change there graphics more ofton still showing 12hrs of persistant light snow for Northwich

for tomorrow..............ERM i think not

C.S

I have my doubts about that (and for my own area) too. The radar shows the bulk of - and heaviest - ppn drifting just to the north of here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

The snow has gradually got heavier through the afternoon here, now moderate-heavy snow (though it keeps stopping and starting) and it's sticking too :). Temp didn't get above 0.8°C here thankfully and is now 0.1°C.

Posted

Very light snow here, it has gone from light rain to light snow.

Stopped now.

Just come from the Cat and Fiddle, treacherous, drifing deep snow, almost blizzard, think it will be closed soon. A bit of height is a wonderous thing!

Posted

The snow has gradually got heavier through the afternoon here, now moderate-heavy snow (though it keeps stopping and starting) and it's sticking too smile.gif. Temp didn't get above 0.8°C here thankfully and is now 0.1°C.

Temperature is the real issue here. Still above freezing (0.8c for past 3 hours) it would make all the difference in the world if the temp. was at or below zero - particularly when ppn is light. With the breeze too, then the snow would drift. smile.gif

Posted

I read somewhere that temps will struggle to get above freezing here are they joking or what? Tomorrow temps will struggle to get above freezing..with snow being persistent for much of the day (Monday into Tuesday)..lol

that snow is turning to sleet very quickly all over the country

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

This should gradually get more interesting as it goes on - Temp now down to 1.4c - Just a little more and it will be able to snow propperly!

Posted

This should gradually get more interesting as it goes on - Temp now down to 1.4c - Just a little more and it will be able to snow propperly!

It can snow properly at 2C without it being wet slush..it depends on your dewpoint..dont you find it remarable how in the space of 2 miles your getting drizzle and snow, while here it tropical with no precip at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Just come from the Cat and Fiddle, treacherous, drifing deep snow, almost blizzard, think it will be closed soon. A bit of height is a wonderous thing!

The sign was there already this afternoon in Macc. Some mad snow drifts on the little roads up there...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It can snow properly at 2C without it being wet slush..it depends on your dewpoint..dont you find it remarable how in the space of 2 miles your getting drizzle and snow, while here it tropical with no precip at all.

Yes, but the radar shows the precip over your location? Stopped for now but temps are dropping! Down to 1.3c now!

Altnaharra is now at -20c! The record will be broken tonight!

Posted

I'm 2 miles the other way from you and I'm getting very light snizzle!! Maybe the Hale Parochial Council have told the snow it can't fall there....! :cc_confused:

Posted

I'm 2 miles the other way from you and I'm getting very light snizzle!! Maybe the Hale Parochial Council have told the snow it can't fall there....! :cc_confused:

haha your probably right at that

Posted

Temps are slowly dropping again

Current Temp 1.7C

Dew Point -2.7C

Wind Dir: SE Veering E

Current conditions: Cloudy no precip all afternoon / evening. Things appear to be changing on an hourly basis. I just hope we can get some of that precip to drop here, it will readily fall as snow due to the dewpoint not being marginal. Though I would like to see an decrease in the temperatures.

The North Sea has had a major effect on the temps today, modifying the continental air substantially, and the 528 dam thicknesses have dissapeared.

That's not quite right, despite the presence of blizzards over parts of Germany which were feared to possibly reach the UK, the thicknesses are higher on the near continent today than here, but still maintaining a sub-zero temperature profile. The North Sea is just able to warm the crucial lower layers of the atmosphere enough to give sleetiness or rain.