Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

still 3-4 inches on the grass, and an inch or two of slush on the paths and roads. 1.5c.

Posted

rain/sleet this morning,had a spell of snow about 2pm, stopped now , very slushy outside now closedeyes.gif

Same here in South Liverpool. Most of ice has turned to slush and snow on grass getting thinner. Temp at LJLA 1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

light rain here, mixed with the odd flake.

temp 1.0c DP 0c

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

At work today we had light snow from 8am when I arrived right up to 3pm.

Temp here at home currently 2.0c and dp 1.3c

Posted

gosh its quiet on here tonight is that because its MELTINGwallbash.gif and theres no more snow to come ????????????????????????

Realistically this is the end of any snow which will stay lying for several days, however there could be some extremely heavy snowfall from the breakdown, but that could also fall as rain!

Posted

well i think its a wait and see day tomorrow as to how far north any ppn will get as its not nailed down yet.

it will be very windy tomorrow with the tight pressure gradient as the low bumps into the high, SE strong near gale force around coasts gusts up to 55mph in places and feeling raw with temps around 1 or 2c for most...

just imagine heavy snow and gales....dream on !!

post-9615-12632385199828_thumb.png

Edited by james12

Posted

temp 1.2c

DP 0c

pressure 1019.1 hpa

hummidity 94%

Posted

Hi,

Do you think there is a possibility that some of us, at least the the south of the region (like where I am in Liverpool) could get something out of tomorrow nights snow event? I have seen the GFS 12z precipitation chart and it seems to have the main band of precipitation reaching the southern parts of the North West, so providing things like dew points are ok is thier a possibility of some renewed snowfall Tuesday into Wednesday, and if that is the case how much could we expect and when could we expect it to fall?

Luke

Posted

Hi,

Do you think there is a possibility that some of us, at least the the south of the region (like where I am in Liverpool) could get something out of tomorrow nights snow event? I have seen the GFS 12z precipitation chart and it seems to have the main band of precipitation reaching the southern parts of the North West, so providing things like dew points are ok is thier a possibility of some renewed snowfall Tuesday into Wednesday, and if that is the case how much could we expect and when could we expect it to fall?

Luke

I think the most people in the south of the region can expect is some light intermittent snow as the band fizzles out. But you never know

Posted

Got to laugh at the BBC 5 day forecast. In the space of 3hrs for Wednesday it's gone from Light snow to Light Snow Showers to now just Cloudy lol It probably will be just cloudy but this was the forecast for last Tuesday when I got nearly foot of snow;

bbc5dayweatherjoke.jpg

Well it's good for a laugh I suppose.

Posted

it looks pretty marginal even down in the SW for snow i think, where it does fall will be dangerous i imagine with gale force winds and drifting snow, it may start as rain and turn to snow due to evaporative cooling...

as ever we miss out on most of the fun!!! you never know the low may make further inroads to the uk. keep watching the radar tomorrow even if the main band wont make it to here, there may be showers thrown up this way.

Posted

Hi,

Luke

Firstly for the north west i don't think this will be an 'event' really at all. The further south and west you are the higher the chance of precipitation, and assuming dew points are below 0c it will fall as snow, I'm not sure but from what I know that snow will not settle if the ground is above 0c, which it will likely be until a large amount of snow has cooled the ground. The best outcome would be the snow to start falling after dark, and have any water covering partially melted snow evaporated by then.

Posted

Interesting NAE for Wednesday evening (too good to be true of course!):

that looks promising.. how much can we read into that i wonder? NAE usually pretty good i think?

Posted

Cheshire and possibly parts of Merseyside and South Greater Manchester may catch some light snow into Wednesday, however, the front looks like it will have weakened considerably by the time it reaches the region and will simply fizzle out, its running into a cold block which is not relinquishing its grip, not often an atlantic front from the SW fizzles out as it heads our way.

The week ahead in the main looks devoid of any snow interest, there is a marginak chance that the front due to attack us by the weekend may on its leading edge bring some snow, but I think this will be of the very wet variety and only stick on higher ground.

All the snow has dissapeared below 200m around here, as to be expected given the fact that we only saw 3 inches last week. In fact although its been a notably very cold spell, for Cumbria it has not been very snowy at all, with the county as a whole generally only seeing 2-3 inches, we have done much better for snowfall in 'mild spells'. We need a NW flow or a stalling atlantic front for really hefty falls, or even better a sudden polar low forming or what happened last tuesday /wednesday to have developed 100 miles further north. Easterlies are useless for Cumbria, in fact we've seen no precipitation yesterday or today, consequently whilst its been a very cold start to January its been a very sunny and dry one.

Today though has been miserably dark with dull leaden skies, bring back the sunshine, I was hoping we were going to miss out on how miserably dark January days can feel, and the rest of the week is looking equally dark and cloudy, time to hibernate I feel.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Cheshire and possibly parts of Merseyside and South Greater Manchester may catch some light snow into Wednesday, however, the front looks like it will have weakened considerably by the time it reaches the region and will simply fizzle out, its running into a cold block which is not relinquishing its grip, not often an atlantic front from the SW fizzles out as it heads our way.

The week ahead in the main looks devoid of any snow interest, there is a marginak chance that the front due to attack us by the weekend may on its leading edge bring some snow, but I think this will be of the very wet variety and only stick on higher ground.

All the snow has dissapeared below 200m around here, as to be expected given the fact that we only saw 3 inches last week. In fact although its been a notably very cold spell, for Cumbria it has not been very snowy at all, with the county as a whole generally only seeing 2-3 inches, we have done much better for snowfall in 'mild spells'. We need a NW flow or a stalling atlantic front for really hefty falls, or even better a sudden polar low forming or what happened last tuesday /wednesday to have developed 100 miles further north. Easterlies are useless for Cumbria, in fact we've seen no precipitation yesterday or today, consequently whilst its been a very cold start to January its been a very sunny and dry one.

Today though has been miserably dark with dull leaden skies, bring back the sunshine, I was hoping we were going to miss out on how miserably dark January days can feel, and the rest of the week is looking equally dark and cloudy, time to hibernate I feel.

I suspect OON would disagree with you about the snow! But then he disagrees about everything :wacko:

Posted

Morning all. Temp +2, dp -1 and currently raining, making for very slushy and slimy conditions underfoot. Treacherous. Can't see us getting any snow, but will be pleased to be proved wrong :nonono:

Posted

Morning all. Temp +2, dp -1 and currently raining, making for very slushy and slimy conditions underfoot. Treacherous. Can't see us getting any snow, but will be pleased to be proved wrong :)

Morning Lousie,

If your getting rain then ill be suprised to get snow here further north. However like to make a point that the main atlantic system is very intense, more intense than i thought it would be. Currently steam rolling toward the UK/Ireland.

Interesting times for some i feel, Northwest weather forcast 9C on friday, going to be a big change :)

John

Posted

Morning Lousie,

If your getting rain then ill be suprised to get snow here further north. However like to make a point that the main atlantic system is very intense, more intense than i thought it would be. Currently steam rolling toward the UK/Ireland.

Interesting times for some i feel, Northwest weather forcast 9C on friday, going to be a big change :)

John

Morning John

Yes I noticed how intense the system is, certainly here it feels like the cold air's just vanished so I just can't see any cold v mild happening where we are.

Posted

Temp here is 2.1C with a dew point -2.1C. It's bitterly cold in that wind at the moment. I see BBC were way off with there timing. They expected this front to be over the whole SW by 6am this morning. It's now 10:30 and it's barely touched. It's a very heavy band, but I still think it will fizzle out before it hits us. Only time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well the NAE throws a differnet light on the front from the SW at 0600 Wed morning NW England can expect snow

if you look at the map it shows rain,but as nick on the SE thread has pointed out it is wrong and infact it should show

snow all to play for looks like we might see some of the PPN how much,where ETC,ETC all open to debate but the signs

are there

just keep watching the radar later and see what happens

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Temp here is 2.1C with a dew point -2.1C. It's bitterly cold in that wind at the moment. I see BBC were way off with there timing. They expected this front to be over the whole SW by 6am this morning. It's now 10:30 and it's barely touched. It's a very heavy band, but I still think it will fizzle out before it hits us. Only time will tell.

I'm thinking it will probably fizzle out too, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised!