Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Hi guys,

Any thoughts on the annotated radar pic below??

post-509-12633292042028_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

The sheer metronomic regularity of the temps at the moment are quite something, oscillating between 1 and 2 for the last two days at Manc Airport...

so that's what it's called - i thought my sensor had packed in yesterday.

currently - 0.8c here, last night the lowest was - 0.1c

both today and yesterday peaked at + 1c.

very little difference and all feel absolutely perishing

Ian

Posted

It looks like most of the precip is between light and mod now on the latest radar. So i think this trend will continue and will continue to fizzle. However snow showers could push Northwards these are likely to be ligh.

Posted

It's amazing how relative you become, compared to what you've had before. It's 1c here, and in any normal winter this would be called a 'cold snap' lol After our two frozen sub zero weeks, with record low temperatures, it almost seems a mild spell lol

...back onto the here and now, i'm not really expecting too much in the way of snowfall from the southerly band. I expect it will fizzle and lose it's intensity by the time it reaches our parts. However with the winter we've had so far who knows. The thaw will be stepped up a gear come the weekend though, and yes even hillier areas will see it then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

It's amazing how relative you become, compared to what you've had before. It's 1c here, and in any normal winter this would be called a 'cold snap' lol After our two frozen sub zero weeks, with record low temperatures, it almost seems a mild spell lol

...back onto the here and now, i'm not really expecting too much in the way of snowfall from the southerly band. I expect it will fizzle and lose it's intensity by the time it reaches our parts.

You're probably right dodge re what we'll get from this band, but stanger things have happened. Re temps - I remember winter 81/82 when temps finally got back to 7/8c - it almost felt like t-shirt weather. You must still have loads on the ground up your way.

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

...back onto the here and now, i'm not really expecting too much in the way of snowfall from the southerly band. I expect it will fizzle and lose it's intensity by the time it reaches our parts. However with the winter we've had so far who knows. The thaw will be stepped up a gear come the weekend though, and yes even hillier areas will see it then.

The band appears to have died a death and stalled, but light snow here is a plus until the thaw undertakes itself. Im happy with our current winter and would not mind it getting up to 10-11-12C from now onwards, cheaper on energy and safer for all.

I still think this winter is going to turn out more suprises, i just hope for a long period of 'milder' air, just so i can sort my pond out, i think ive lost all my fish now due to this ice (whole pond froze) and its quite a large pond.

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

temp 1.6c

DP -1.0c

pressure 1002.5 hpa

humidity 80%

i think the band of ppn is weakening, and is not moving far at all we will be lucky to see anything at all at this rate, imagine if it had stalled over this area with heavy snow with a right royal pasting... add in the winds and chaos would decend upon us.

feb 1996 style!!

Posted

whats due at the weekend, dodge. and when?

:unknw:

Posted

feb 1996 style!!

That was so historic James - the phrase itself brings back the best winter memory ever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

That was so historic James - the phrase itself brings back the best winter memory ever.

everytime i think about it it brings a smile to my face!! even tho that night i was stuck at school!! my mum rang up 3 times that morning and said can she come pick me up as they were getting snowed in at the coast, when 22 miles inland and 150m asl it was wet snow all day and not even laying!! that evening when no buses turned up it layed and put down 15 inch level with much deeper drifts.

and i dont think any other snow event will come close....imo

Posted

Yes i too remember feb 96 awesome snowfall must have been 1 foot level snow at sea level.

Found this video (not mine)

Enjoy the memories! I was living in Malvern, near Worcester at the time. (moved to the Fylde in 2001) We had 50cm of level snow. Incredible.

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

Oh man-I've just come in from the pub-walked into strong seasterly wind-the pavements have a thin layer of ice on top of old snow, the wind is biting.

I'm going to go for snow here tomorrow early on, about 8.30 onward.

Edited by martinj2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Hmmm why is this system not weaken that fast, it might just make it into Birmingham.

T.S

check out the rain today radar seems to be moving in fast

snow been reported in stafford now

C.S

Posted

Whist the front looks like it will be a fairly weak affair by the time it reaches the region, there is the chance of some moderate snowfall still in hillier parts, and most of the region looks like it will get a slight cover at least. The front looks like stalling a little over Pennine and northern areas, this is important as a slower moving front will aid evaporative cooling and it is this factor which will determine how heavy the precipitation will get.

So yes whilst we would expect any snow to be light there is still the chance for it to surprise us and give temporary moderate falls at times.

Tomorrow is looking a colder day than today and yesterday, some places in the region will struggle to hit 1 degree I imagine.

Today was colder than yesterday here and with a gusty wind it felt very raw indeed much colder than the sub-zero sunny days we saw last week. No additional thaw has taken place.

The cold weather continues..

Posted

Just started drizzling in the wind here, and I have to say it's not feeling all that cold out there at the minute. Can't imagine we'll get any snow as we're always on the wrong side of marginal anyway here but anywhere with height might get a dusting if it makes it that far. Fairly light precip on the radar now, but still a lot of it. Wrong thread I know but Ireland has some really heavy precip again, and it's just not shifting, good grief!

Edited by Louise

Posted

any chance of an intensification near the coast with moisture drawn from irish sea? although coasts may well get rain?

That's what I'm hoping for Chris. 2c with DP of -1c and poss evaporative cooling. Could be worth watching and hoping...

Posted

Keep an eye on what it does as it passes over the North Wales mountians. Could well take some energy out of it. Looks a beast of a band though looking at the rain today radar.

Posted

Keep an eye on what it does as it passes over the North Wales mountians. Could well take some energy out of it. Looks a beast of a band though looking at the rain today radar.

Weather is now changing here in Haydock (near Wigan) wind has picked up (bitterly cold) and the sky type has changed to bright orange. Raintoday looks interesting, very intense still really and moving up faster than before. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, it certainly feels/looks different outside to an hour ago when the sky was duller and the temperature was well cold but not drastic.

Maybe useful to know this, maybe not lol

John

Edited by gearbox1001