Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 19:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Feel like Scotland is being hard-done by now Catch ... but you never know with this cold spell it seems.

Edit: all snow-grains here now too but would take an infinite amount of time to accumulate anything here in town.

I have been watching the precip band storming in from the west and *BANG* it's gone into thin air laugh.gif It is getting a doing but the cold air is hardly being flicked aside.

That's surely a good sign??

I wonder how well the weekend's precip will storm across the country??

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Hi CMD

They would have been better leaving the snow and letting the kids out! i agree. They are normally out in all weathers at our school too. they all have waterproofs for when the rain is very heavy!

The kids and teachers must be going nuts all couped up.

Hurricane force winds and blizzards - what a day that was - i can remember going to work that day!!! and coming home again!!

Feel like Scotland is being hard-done by now Catch ... but you never know with this cold spell it seems.

Edit: all snow-grains here now too but would take an infinite amount of time to accumulate anything here in town.

Our time wiil come again, I hope. A wee bit drizzly here if anything, I had expected at least something a bit heavier but it seems the precip has given up (as forecast, but much further south-west). Fax charts will be interesting later on today I think, just to see what is actually going on out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

It is actually proper snow here now, actually feels colder than it did this morning.

Hurricane force winds and blizzards - what a day that was - i can remember going to work that day!!! and coming home again!!

I can remember being in school, it wasn't too bad in Glasgow: but the drifts were huge when we got home to Kilmacolm!! I wish I had photos of it, but my parents' cars at the back of the house were just bumps in the snow. It was unreal. Front garden was almost uncovered though :lol:

My Dad was away working at the time and didn't believe that it was at all bad.

Edit: Is it just me or are temps dropping now?? :) Down below 1C locally

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Good Afternoon

We have had quite moderate showers here most of the Morin it has changing from rain to sleet over the past hours or so, but I would rather have snow to be honest, all this in between stuff is just becoming annoying nonono.gif . Feel like we've kinda miss out over past few daysdry.gif .

Good Afternoon

We have had quite moderate showers here most of the Morin it has changing from rain to sleet over the past hours or so, but I would rather have snow to be honest, all this in between stuff is just becoming annoying nonono.gif . Feel like we've kinda miss out over past few daysdry.gif .

Our time will come. Just remember we'll still be getting snow into March and April when the folks down south will be basking in the warm sun :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Hold on there Catch ... I want warm sun in April too !

Just wait till you get to my age sonny ....laugh.gif

Our time will come. Just remember we'll still be getting snow into March and April when the folks down south will be basking in the warm sun smile.gif

Hold on there Catch ... I want warm sun in April too !

Just wait till you get to my age sonny ....laugh.gif

You can still have warm sun in April and snow! Just at opposite ends of the month :drinks:

Or even in May, one good example being May 1995. One week it was 20C, the next we had snow, the week after it was 20C again. If only we could have that weather year again. Mmmmmmm.

Anyway......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Good Afternoon

Hi Allyw12, :rofl: :rofl: May I ask you a 'silly' question? :shok:

As I'm a Sassenach (I've been here for 21 years now! :rofl: ) is 'morin' Scots for morning??? I only ask coz I'm ignorant... :drinks:

Anyhoo, I think the dewpoint must be falling-off; the snow is melting but surfaces are drying very quickly, here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Hi Allyw12, good.gifgood.gif May I ask you a 'silly' question? oops.gif

As I'm a Sassenach (I've been here for 21 years now! good.gif ) is 'morin' Scots for morning??? I only ask coz I'm ignorant... blush.gif

Anyhoo, I think the dewpoint must be falling-off; the snow is melting but surfaces are drying very quickly, here...

Hi Pete

No its just me being lazy blush.gif and not typing morining.

Posted

I noticed today that the snow depth on the upper slopes of Cairngorm has reached 200cm which by my calculations is getting close to 7 feet in old money. I wonder what the deepest snow there has been on the ski slopes and how deep it may get this year??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Afternoon everyone... just in from work (was out at 4 am) and it was 1c when i left garelochhead for work and when i got to glasgow it was 1c.

Finished work around 1pm and left glasgow where it was 1c and in garelochhead just now, yip u guessed it 1c.

Was quite heavy snow grains in airdrie about 2 hours ago with still pretty good snow cover up there.

Big water main over the railway up at coatbridge burst overnight, quite something driving under it.

As for the platform damage now that some of them have lost their snow cover... well all the stations up the springburn line are a disgrace and quite frankly some shouldnt be open due to how rutted the they are whilst the coping edges are barely hanging on by their finger tips..:)

Posted

Afternoon everyone... just in from work (was out at 4 am) and it was 1c when i left garelochhead for work and when i got to glasgow it was 1c.

Finished work around 1pm and left glasgow where it was 1c and in garelochhead just now, yip u guessed it 1c.

Was quite heavy snow grains in airdrie about 2 hours ago with still pretty good snow cover up there.

Big water main over the railway up at coatbridge burst overnight, quite something driving under it.

As for the platform damage now that some of them have lost their snow cover... well all the stations up the springburn line are a disgrace and quite frankly some shouldnt be open due to how rutted the they are whilst the coping edges are barely hanging on by their finger tips..diablo.gif

I live besdie a rail track and i have noticed this weird noise when the trains go over, like a weird rattle noise. Its starting to freak me out lol

As I'm a Sassenach (I've been here for 21 years now! :) ) is 'morin' Scots for morning??? I only ask coz I'm ignorant... :yahoo:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you Pete, but if you've been here 21 years you are Scottish, whatever way you want to try and wriggle out of it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Afternoon. Temperature at 2.6C which is too high for my liking still but still had a dusting of snow today. Hopefully with precipitation temperatures will lower a bit and it will fall as snow.

10011406_1312.gif

Marginal here as always but further west looks ok. If it is snow then it looks fairly heavy across eastern parts though.

Looks promising for an easterly to develop though, does anyone remember February '91? Because it was a similar type of easterly.

12Z still backs the easterly after a short settled period.

Posted

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you Pete, but if you've been here 21 years you are Scottish, whatever way you want to try and wriggle out of it :(

So, how long do you have to live here to become Scottish - what's the escape period...? :(

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

So, how long do you have to live here to become Scottish - what's the escape period...? whistling.gif

You can check out anytime you like but you can never leaverofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

the ppn falling as snow here and im only 70m up, had an inch already and still snowing albeit lighlt but persistant...its heading up north for you guys slowly!!

Posted

the temps are increasing again here this afternoon, affecting even further inland this time - these SE winds methinks

+3.6 DP +2 (both highs of the day as of just now) - must be going to be a sharp cool down of the METO Ice warnings are to verify?

finally got Oil today and now have central heating yay.. the gutters are thawing nice and slowly, and so far so good!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hi Pete

No its just me being lazy blush.gif and not typing morining.

That's okay, then... :unsure: :lol:

I live besdie a rail track and i have noticed this weird noise when the trains go over, like a weird rattle noise. Its starting to freak me out lol

Me too! Weird innit? :unsure:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you Pete, but if you've been here 21 years you are Scottish, whatever way you want to try and wriggle out of it :good:

Okey dokey, CMD. I certainly think Scottish??? :lol: :lol:

No snow today btw?? :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The slow thaw continues with icy pavements and shrinking piles of dirty sugar everywhere. Warmer till Monday and most of the low altitude cover gone before the brief, damp & cool squib of an easterly middle of next week reminds us of what a Scottish winter really is. The three week freeze is already lost in the memory banks.

Summer please!

Edited by Hairy Celt

So, how long do you have to live here to become Scottish - what's the escape period...? :p

3 years then you're one of us.

the temps are increasing again here this afternoon, affecting even further inland this time - these SE winds methinks

+3.6 DP +2 (both highs of the day as of just now) - must be going to be a sharp cool down of the METO Ice warnings are to verify?

finally got Oil today and now have central heating yay.. the gutters are thawing nice and slowly, and so far so good!

Just a degree to go until we get some frost! Plus the Met-O seem to think there will be snow/sleet tonight:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Okey dokey, CMD. I certainly think Scottish??? :lol: :p

No snow today btw?? :cray:

If you think Scottish then you are Scottish!

Do snow grains count towards a day with "falling snow"?? :lol:

the ppn falling as snow here and im only 70m up, had an inch already and still snowing albeit lighlt but persistant...its heading up north for you guys slowly!!

Thanks james :) Send it this way, although looking at the radar it is going nowhere fast :( (probably :) for you!!)