Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 19:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Light snow/snizzle here. Lightly slushy pavements but accumulation on cold ground/grass/existing ice. Not going to amount to anything in town but in the higher parts of the city and many other places looks like 1-2 cms.

Posted

I have to say I feel partly responsible for the current/impending thaw in Scotland. I will be in the Highlands for a week from Saturday and was outrageous enough to book a days skiing. I have obviously jinxed the whole job lot of you and for this I can only apologise. No doubt the Scotish Ski areas will be invisible under thick cloud and hanging on for dear life against hurricane strength south westerlies. Happily for you lot, Its just one week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Hi TD

It seems the weather is seriously on the turn for the weekend, such a shame as the skiing is amazing. Maybe it'll clear by the beginning of the week and you can enjoy snow on the mountains.

Where are you visiting? Aviemore area?

Posted

Hi TD

It seems the weather is seriously on the turn for the weekend, such a shame as the skiing is amazing. Maybe it'll clear by the beginning of the week and you can enjoy snow on the mountains.

Where are you visiting? Aviemore area?

I'll be staying near Kyle of Lochalsh but will be going to Nevis Range - by my estimation the most exposed of the ski areas! To be fair it would have to be an unprecedentedly monstrous thaw to get rid of all the snow, I'm a little worried about high winds though. Hopefully I'll get lucky and have a bit of sunshine.

Posted

I have to say I feel partly responsible for the current/impending thaw in Scotland. I will be in the Highlands for a week from Saturday and was outrageous enough to book a days skiing. I have obviously jinxed the whole job lot of you and for this I can only apologise. No doubt the Scotish Ski areas will be invisible under thick cloud and hanging on for dear life against hurricane strength south westerlies. Happily for you lot, Its just one week.

Dont know if you read this thread yesterday as there was a bit of talk about the snow depths at the ski areas (Cairngorm in particular) which might be of interest to you. I think skiing might be a bit of a struggle with the winds this weekend but should hopefully be a bit more managable next week.

Have a great time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

I'll be staying near Kyle of Lochalsh but will be going to Nevis Range - by my estimation the most exposed of the ski areas! To be fair it would have to be an unprecedentedly monstrous thaw to get rid of all the snow, I'm a little worried about high winds though. Hopefully I'll get lucky and have a bit of sunshine.

Hopefully a bit drier and much less windy after the weekend. I'm sure there will be further snow on the hills over the weekend. Have a lovely time. Kyle area is really nice area to be visiting.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Another cold day in Edinburgh, woke up to a small half-inch covering of wet snow, just enough to make everything a dirty white and to cover the ice and slush on the roads and lie on most rooftops.

TD, having seen pictures of the snow from friends skiing in Glenshee (though it's probably rather less in Nevis range), it'll take a mighty thatw to get rid of even a bit of that! At present, temperatures are nowhere near high enough to precipitate a big thaw at elevation on the mountains (or even any). Drumochter's snow gates were closed on the A9 again yesterday, indicating yet more fresh snowfall at elevation in the central Highlands. It does look like being too windy over the weekend for skiing (or in my case mountaineering) and with lots of cloud. I might expect a slight thaw, with a concommitant high avalanche risk, but you should be better off next week hopefully! Edit: Have a lok at www.mwis.org.uk, and the forecast you'll need for the Nevis Range is at: http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/WH.PDF The ski runs are at around 900m+ I think. Looks like atrocious weather on the hills for a few days, interesting that they are noting a very slow change of temperature with altitude in these weather conditions. Better from Tuesday they are saying too...

sss

Edit: Just had a bemused look at the Met Office's latest weather for Edinburgh, showing rain all night and this morning. Had another look outside to check on this strange, white, frozen rain that is covering the ground... [i know that Gogarbank is pretty low and coastal, but I'm really not much higher than that - must be really marginal!] Forecast for Monday says rain for most, yet their chart says dry for nearly all. Ummm!

Edited by sunny starry skies

Posted

Only one run from one model but the GFS 06 hrs has potentially a lot of snow forecast for some parts of Scotland as the big Siberian High speads a little westward. Where this meets the Atlantic influence there could be heavy snow.

Likely to change but one to watch around the middle of next week.

h850t850eu.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Back to rain here. Temp. +1.3C DP +0.9C (+0.5C/hour).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Quite alot of snow around the Glasgow area this morning, sat on me train in a cold milgavie at the mo at -1c here just off to a very snowy motherwell in a mo.

Posted

snow on again here. has a good couple of cm's this morning, tbh wasn't really expecting any more snow. Keeping an interested eye on the charts for next week.

Having a horrendous day at work, so would like some good news later on the weather front!!

Posted

Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Regional Threads will be Closed at around Midnight tonight and a General Cold Spell Discussion for the Whole Uk & Ireland Will be Opened at the same time.

Regards

Paul S

Posted

D'oh !! ... and I've just signed up after lurking in this thread since the 17th December. cray.gif

Lol

You still have 9 hours!

Posted

Hi Moffat Ross, welcome.

Hi everyone

Looks like our last night together so to speak! awwww! :):)

If we get more snow do you think we can all get back together??

Still looks like lots to interest us next week.

Posted

Still snowing here, is there not a case for keeping Scotlands thead going?

And hello to Moffatross, assume you are the same MR on WH. This a is a great site for helping pick those classic days on the slopes like last Friday smile.gif !!

Posted

Still snowing here, is there not a case for keeping Scotlands thead going?

And hello to Moffatross, assume you are the same MR on WH. This a is a great site for helping pick those classic days on the slopes like last Friday smile.gif !!

1 Cold Spell Discussion Thread should suffice and until another really snowy winter spell is nailed on then we will open up the regionals again :unsure: This decision has been taken by all of the Mods not just me btw

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Currently 0.5 C, dew point -1.1 C, fine, light wet snow falling on dirty, muddy, grit-covered pavements.

Now two days short of a calendar month without the temperature here breaching 4C. In fact only three days in that time have seen temps of >3 C.

(Image from Edinburgh University Weather Station)

ps - Anyone else here having/had major problems buying a sledge? Edinburgh (and the WWW) completely sold out.

Posted

one of the most wintry days here so far of this month long cold spell, been snowing since about 2am this morning not particularly heavy but amounted to round about 4-5cm! fantastic cold spell! and what thaw!! :unsure:

first two pics are from today and third was taken off bbc website this was down in cambuslang about 5minutes away from me and a water pipe burst and this was the result icy ha! Cheers

Scott

post-704-12634850532028_thumb.jpg

post-704-12634850843328_thumb.jpg

post-704-12634851080228_thumb.jpg