Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 19:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Great idea guys, how about a country thread, Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales would be easier to manage?

I'm with you all on this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

With at least this Scottish incarnation of the cold spell thread going at midnight, just wanted to say...

... had a brilliant few weeks on here, getting everyones reports, insights, highs and lows during this spell

... and seen several more accurate local forecasts when the Metoffice were sleeping on the job !

I look forward to catching up with you all again, hopefully sooner rather than later, in hours or days rather than weeks or months !

Heres to you all :gathering:

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Maybe the community group forum? One for Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales. Think this was done before!, but was stopped.

Edited by amanda_langlands

Posted

Well today the cold spell came home to roost my son on his way to school heard running water in a neighbours house and phoned me , I confirmed this and eventually got the fire brigade after speaking to the police as my neighbour is working offshore and we had no contact phone for him. The police broke in and the fire brigade turned the water and electricty off. Another neighbour about half a mile away returned from a months holiday to a flooded house! This afternoon I got stuck in the car on the farm road in 15 inches of slush and wet snow as the hard packed snow softened so my son spent this evening bucketing this to side. This is the third time we have scraped the road and I hope it is the last

Currently -1c and the slush and soft snow is rock hard again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

How about this for over the top snow?!!!

cairngorm mountain has been closed for a few days due to another 10 feet of snow!!

JCB's being used to dig the road out.

post-10837-12635019897828_thumb.jpg

post-10837-12635020017428_thumb.jpg

Posted

Well today the cold spell came home to roost my son on his way to school heard running water in a neighbours house and phoned me , I confirmed this and eventually got the fire brigade after speaking to the police as my neighbour is working offshore and we had no contact phone for him. The police broke in and the fire brigade turned the water and electricty off. Another neighbour about half a mile away returned from a months holiday to a flooded house! This afternoon I got stuck in the car on the farm road in 15 inches of slush and wet snow as the hard packed snow softened so my son spent this evening bucketing this to side. This is the third time we have scraped the road and I hope it is the last

Currently -1c and the slush and soft snow is rock hard again.

Meant to add that 8 miles away inland the two roads over the Dava moor are blocked by 9 foot drifts and efforts to clear them have been abandoned as there is nowhere to push the snow so a little bit of the fun has gone from having snow.

Posted

:gathering: Still snowing in places, many with plenty of lying snow still and not exactly going to be blow torch warm either. Ho Hum it's been fun catching up with all reports and banter and hope this thread reopens again shortly (under another disguise maybe???)

I guess the naughty step is going to be kept very warm shortly when we have to venture to the dark side :drinks:

:help: Shuggee, Ross B etc any objections from mods to starting a Scottish General Weather Thread? Just say the word and we will be there.

Meant to add that 8 miles away inland the two roads over the Dava moor are blocked by 9 foot drifts and efforts to clear them have been abandoned as there is nowhere to push the snow so a little bit of the fun has gone from having snow.

Might give weekend a miss then, I enjoy driving over the Dava road

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

:gathering: Still snowing in places, many with plenty of lying snow still and not exactly going to be blow torch warm either. Ho Hum it's been fun catching up with all reports and banter and hope this thread reopens again shortly (under another disguise maybe???)

I guess the naughty step is going to be kept very warm shortly when we have to venture to the dark side :drinks:

:help: Shuggee, Ross B etc any objections from mods to starting a Scottish General Weather Thread? Just say the word and we will be there.

Might give weekend a miss then, I enjoy driving over the Dava road

Isn't there an irish Community Group in Netweather? Perhaps there could be a demand for something similar for the Scots that could contain a current weather thread?

Anyway have enjoyed reading the input from most parts of Scotland over the last few weeks.

Nor.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Nice to see a bit of fighting spirit for our new-found netweather independence! The ECM is absolutely a dream run, with all the talk of the chance of snow being minimal being mainly for those further south (also for those further west, though less so further north). Uppers on even the mildest runs are around -5 in eastern/northeastern Scotland with the potential from some wintry showers from the southeasterly flow -

h850t850eu.pngAfter this point on the run the models diverge significantly, with the ECM developing a channel-bound (English Channel south of the Isle of Wight, not the Solway Firth that they tried to claim as the English channel on the raintoday radar and met. radar) low at 168 hours, keeping the atlantic at bay and the cold air continually flooding in from the continent (or really Mongolia if you track the high far back enough!). http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1681.gif Obviously this is only one solution, though as we saw yesterday model consensus can be easily destroyed by just one run, but the bottom line is we don't really know - look how different this chart is from the UKMO http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif .

However, even though the initial flow is atlantic, note the intense channel low forming off the main low. Perhaps the models have picked up on something new tonight, with the GFS still looking a bit all over the place after dropping the easterly a few runs later than the other models and reverting to mild atlantic weather in the 12Z.

So, in summary, a cool/cold continental flow looks likely for eastern Scotland for a time in the middle of next week, bringing back the threat of snow showers but more significantly bringing a low across to the south of us, intensifying the flow and allowing the really cold non-marginal uppers in behind as well as a potentially huge snow event. Bear in mind though that the Atlantic could just as easily overpower the high, not throwing any lows across to trigger the strong easterly flow and keeping the PV in Greenland, stopping the block extending west from Scandinavia through Iceland. And let's not forget the gales tomorrow: http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100114/12/39/ukwind.png http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100114/12/42/ukwind.png

Plenty to watch, hopefully from a Scottish perspective! Perhaps a 'Scottish wet and windy with snow on high ground spell discussion' tomorrow/Saturday? 'Scottish drizzle Discussion' a month or two down the line? 'Scottish heatwave discussion(and by that I mean highs of 12C)' in May?cold.gifclap.gif

LS

Posted

** Warning big quotes post as I better get them all in before midnight! **

Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Regional Threads will be Closed at around Midnight tonight and a General Cold Spell Discussion for the Whole Uk & Ireland Will be Opened at the same time.

Regards

Paul S

:cray: :cray: :cray:

Pray for another cold spell, so this thread can be restarted. In the meantime, bite your tongues while the SE-centrics sound off!

hehe, I personally will just have to stop reading so much, never mind taking part.. I come here for fun and banter, it's a hobby and when there's nowhere to go to get away from the SE bias, tayher than get annoyes I usually find it easier to log off and try a bit of DIY charting

Also might I add I will miss this Scottish thread been absolutely spot on and cheers for everyones input into it has been great sharing snow reports and conditions with fellow scottish folk:) Cheers

Scott

ditto!

We had a slight covering here, only lay on existing ice though and give it a nice fresh whiteness.

I personally think Netweather are missing a trick by closing down the regional thread. Most of the people on here will go back to 1 post a week, do they really want that? I don't.

I don't either, how will we find LS's forecasts or Mondy's sat pics, Acottish Skiers pics and reports, NorthernLights practicality and reports.. many more sorry if I missed you out! or just "hae a natter" - at least the stuff posted in here is mostly more relevant to Scotland - I have to say that last time I took to reading the General thread (think it was last year or even the year before that) it landed up being the same few posters with IMBY moans ALL the time, so much so that I think it became a self fulfulling prophecy, the more these particular people posted the less everyone else did, which only left the "dry" model thread :lol:

Don't see why we can't have a scottish thread for general weather discussion, e.g. what the models mean for up here. Our higher latitude means the weather in scotland is completely different from the south of England. This is typified by the charts you just showed. If the jet and lows are tracking across the UK, being to the north of the track can make huge differences to what weather we get.

What's stopping us continuing our own thread? Nothing I guess, unless we stop posting on it.

Suggest: "Scottish Winter Weather Thread"

Can evolve to spring, summer etc. At least we'd know where to find the posts of the usual suspects and say hello.

Now that's a very good idea, our weather is different regardless of Winter or Summer or the Winter/Spring/Spring/Autumn.. whatever ;) - Surely there has been enough said politely or otherwise about the S/SE/S central bias of the other threads to at least warrant somewhere we can post our charts and discuss them, how else are we to learn to apply local knowledge to them and have some banter fun at the same time?

With at least this Scottish incarnation of the cold spell thread going at midnight, just wanted to say...

... had a brilliant few weeks on here, getting everyones reports, insights, highs and lows during this spell

... and seen several more accurate local forecasts when the Metoffice were sleeping on the job !

I look forward to catching up with you all again, hopefully sooner rather than later, in hours or days rather than weeks or months !

Heres to you all :drunk:

ditto again :lol::drunk:

It's been a blast, literally as well as figuratively :yahoo: hope to chat with you all again soon, I'm one of those that will go quiet again now, since I joined I think more than half my posts have been in this thread (or the series of them) - but I may well be lurking ..

and last but not least, one final report...

No snow, a little hail earlier - temps dipped below freezing between 6 and 8pm but have since increased to +1 DP 0 - Not expecting much at all, but who knows.. ;) maybe c ya all sooner rather than later

TTFN

Edited by Snooz

Posted

Awwww i am gonna miss everyone :lol: It's been nice chatting with you all, you all made me feel very welcome but i get so lost in those other threads and don't really have anything worthwhile to add to them. Anything i did add was deleted. So will probably see you all when the next cold spell hits.

Its been fun, i will lurk but i probably wont be posting.

Hopefully see you all soon :yahoo:

Posted

There might be hope, have put it to the other Mods about 4 Regional Thread eg English, Irish, Scots & Welsh and I will post reply in here shortly, your voices are being heard and as Ross B said a lot more Scots posters are posting that would not normally post in the other threads!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Awwww i am gonna miss everyone sad.gif It's been nice chatting with you all, you all made me feel very welcome but i get so lost in those other threads and don't really have anything worthwhile to add to them. Anything i did add was deleted. So will probably see you all when the next cold spell hits.

Its been fun, i will lurk but i probably wont be posting.

Hopefully see you all soon biggrin.gif

I know how you feel. I think we have far too many members who are scared of the mad hustle and bustle of the Model output Discussion, which is a real mix of informative posts, regional-centric whining, people looking for a reaction and a lot of off-topic posts based on (I'll give you this evening's example) whether there was a bartlett high in FI on the GFS. I thought I had to waid in on that one as the serious posters were losing it a bit but it gets far too heated over nothing at all lots of the time, and most people end up getting drowned out or have their posts deleted. This thread helps build people's confidence, allowing us all to contribute without being made to feel useless, and also giving us some much needed localised perspective on the models which is just lacking on any other thread. In fact, this thread was the only reason I, and I suspect many others, plucked up the courage to join!

Anyway, where did Big Innes and Shuggee get to?

edit: Just saw Paul's post. biggrin.gif I can understand how hard it must be to moderate the forum, and I appreciate the valiant work they do to keep the threads on topic and informative for all.

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

What a surprise! That would be very much appreciated by everyone on here Paul! :yahoo: :lol:

Posted

There might be hope, have put it to the other Mods about 4 Regional Thread eg English, Irish, Scots & Welsh and I will post reply in here shortly, your voices are being heard and as Ross B said a lot more Scots posters are posting that would not normally post in the other threads!

Paul S

'twould be excellent - thanks for listening to us, Paul.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Fingers crossed. It would be lovely to have our own country threads and we have all enjoyed the Scottish thread so much and have posted so much more than we have maybe ever posted before!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Haven't been reading this thread the last few days... :( Snowing on and off today, in the end it's mostly slush :unsure:

Hoping that Paul is going to come back and give us some great news soon! :D:drinks: Seems like all us, scots know how

If not, it's back to hibernation for me....... until the next snow event ;-)

SM :good:

Edited by snowmess

Posted

Okey Dokey!

Have spoken with the powers that be................and

Tomorrow there will be a New Sub Forum above this one near where the Snow Reports Live called "Regional Threads" and all the Regionals are going to be moved there and stay put for the winter, so this thread will be kept open until tomorrow when it will be moved into it's new home!

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Hi everyone, also wanted to add how much I've enjoyed reading (and sometimes posting on) this friendly and informative thread. It really is incredible to think that this cold spell has been going from the 17th of Dec.

My favourite bit of info/moment was when I logged in late on the 22nd of Dec to read that there was something brewing in the North Sea that looked like hitting east central Scotland early the next morning. There had been no Meto warning given out for this, and when I looked out the next morning around 6.30am I was greeted with near white-out conditions !

Well done everybody, cheers drinks.gif

Posted

Okey Dokey!

Have spoken with the powers that be................and

Tomorrow there will be a New Sub Forum above this one near where the Snow Reports Live called "Regional Threads" and all the Regionals are going to be moved there and stay put for the winter, so this thread will be kept open until tomorrow when it will be moved into it's new home!

Regards

Paul S

Thanx Paul, I know you have made a lot of Scots very happy. :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I didn't realise just how much a Scottish thread is needed on here. It was only after a slight fau- pax with another Scottish member (and he knows who he is! :good: ) that made me think that the weather here is indeed different and even more-so with the Meto performance (or lack of) during this spell. You only have to read the input from the different Scottish regions to realise the difference in conditions across the country. Actually, east central hasn't done all that well with regards to deep snowfall so far, compared to other regions.

It surely wouldn't do the Netweather membership much harm either as those that have joined over the winter are used to posting in the regionals and have become familiar with their co members and would probably continue to converse with each other throughout the year. I am certainly learning more here and now than the 5 years I've been on Netweather!

Rant over!

Just saw Paul's post! Thanks Paul and rest of the mods for listening. We promise to be good and not cause any hassle! :drinks: :unsure:

Edited by Blitzen