Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

There is a possibility of the ppn over France making it's way to the S/SW/SE later tonight With all the fun and games at the moment, let's not rule anything out.

A very strong possibility.

It would be rain if it did hit us tomorrow which NAE progs for the eastern parts of the region. Temps would be to high.

Posted

Hope NL does not mind me posting this.

Amazing what you can see, if you look hard enough.

Let battle commence.

I'm backing the Siberian Serpent. diablo.gif

Kudos to Netweather member NL for a brilliant representation of the battle. clap.gif

Lmao, very good adaptations of weather forces.

Posted

It would be rain if it did hit us tomorrow which NAE progs for the eastern parts of the region. Temps would be to high.

Could hit later tonight. Keep a good eye on that ppn

By the way, did you know that TEITS is a lucky winter/snow omen. Well, whenever he mentions 'shower/bath time' we get closer to another very cold period!!

Guest archiesmummy

hi everyone

i know the met office have been way out sometimes but just noticed for parts of the east mids they are warning of snow and ice on sat (snow higher ground) and i remember MAF saying he had seen snow showing on the BBC website for sat, is this something that could affect us? we are showing rain and i know the temps are rising, is there anything to suggest they may not?

Posted

Lmao, very good adaptations of weather forces.

never right off the awesome power of the ATLANTIC MACHINE it can be totally devasting when it wants to be by the way just wondering what all ya thoughts are on this thing in the channel dont think this was forecasted today looks interesting. oh and by the way yes i live in bristol and we had loads of snow last night but im off to essex friday so any update on there weather would be good for the weekend cheers:drinks:

Posted

never right off the awesome power of the ATLANTIC MACHINE it can be totally devasting when it wants to be by the way just wondering what all ya thoughts are on this thing in the channel dont think this was forecasted today looks interesting. oh and by the way yes i live in bristol and we had loads of snow last night but im off to essex friday so any update on there weather would be good for the weekend cheers:drinks:

Depends what part of Essex your going to mate?

Either way, don't think you will encounter any problems. Most of the snow has/will of melted by then.

Posted

Depends what part of Essex your going to mate?

Either way, don't think you will encounter any problems. Most of the snow has/will of melted by then.

stanford mate but im just hoping next week the cold air comes back theres signs it could so fingers crossed:good:

Posted

met office forecast for weekend

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Rain spreading from the southwest on Friday and Saturday. Some heavy downpours are likely on Saturday, with gale force winds likely too. Drier and brighter on Sunday with winds easing.

Updated: 1545 on Wed 13 Jan 2010

Posted

People in the Model thread continue to look for the next real cold spell but this one hasnt even given up

yet :winky:

Temp 1

DP -1

WC -2

WD EAST

Snowing lightly again here in East London with a nice fog too...fantastic Winter weather of old

and still have lying snow in side roads etc............This Cold spell is hangin on and really it

hasnt become mild at all...Ok thaws etc but still lovely Winter weather with temps still staying

on the cold side...I know a few days slightly less cold predicted but for me the current weather

is beautiful...reminds me of the 80's :winky:

Edited by ChartViewer

Posted

Is it defo going to warm up? How much confidence do you have that it will? and when are we looking at to see an increase slightly in the temps and dew points?

Posted

Is it defo going to warm up? How much confidence do you have that it will? and when are we looking at to see an increase slightly in the temps and dew points?

Hi,

Models predicting temps of around 6-8 by Sunday so it feel less cold.

However some are suggesting the Mongolian/Siberian High (lol thats how big that high is!) may back West into midweek which 'may'

give us colder temps again...Not as cold as the previous start to this cold spell but certainly

back to -1 -2 by night. How long that lasts is up in the air at present.

Im just enjoying the current weather which I find great....fog, light snow, temps of between 0 and 2

:winky:

Posted

Hi,

Models predicting temps of around 6-8 by Sunday so it feel less cold.

However some are suggesting the Mongolian/Siberian High (lol thats how big that high is!) may back West into midweek which 'may'

give us colder temps again...Not as cold as the previous start to this cold spell but certainly

back to -1 -2 by night. How long that lasts is up in the air at present.

Im just enjoying the current weather which I find great....fog, light snow, temps of between 0 and 2

:winky:

Thanks !

I love all this weather stuff all so unpredictive, it does what it wants and no one can change it :winky:

Posted

Ouch. ECM not playing ball this evening for the easterly reload.

Yeah very disappointing because it was looking like champagne time again, need to see the GFS stick to its guns tonight and see what the ECM ensembles say but IMO until the ECM starts trending for the Easterly then there will be no Easterly.

TBH I think all things considered we're still odds on to get an Easterly, the blocks feels like a friend to me, but nevertheless if Pete Tong shows up I've still got a healthy stock of tissues left over from radar watching. . .

P.S. TEITS is still confident of the Easterly. . .

Edited by Gulf Stream Hate Campaign Leader

Posted

Whats all this about Freezing Rain and Possible Snow to the North of London on the TWO Homepage ??

Anyone else looked into this ??

Kind off caught me out as I was watching Liverpool get Humiliated

Paul S

Posted

Just thought I'd take this opportunity to reflect on the recent cold spell. Until today I thought we were never going to see a real snowfall out of this spell. I guess things come to those who wait!

Last Tuesday night saw a very disappointing amount of snow fall here even though inches and inches fell only 10 miles to the west of me. This was slightly made up during Wednesday afternoon (6th Jan) when we must have had a good couple of inches fall which was still sticking around in parts over the weekend.

We then had the false alarm of Saturday night when the met office and BBC forecast up to 10cm here and what did we end up with - nothing.

Just when I had begun to lose hope last night arrived. To be honest I hadn't been taking the forecast seriously what with Saturday's let down. When I woke up at 6 there was probably about an inch lying on top of the car. After sliding into work on roads which hadn't been gritted it then continued to snow heavily for the next 5 hours giving us a fantastic 4/5 inches - and it was the perfect snow to make snowballs with.

We then ended the afternoon with an hour of the fluffiest snow I have seen for years - fantastic.

Whatever winter throws at us now I have had my fix of the white stuff!

Posted

Whats all this about Freezing Rain and Possible Snow to the North of London on the TWO Homepage ??

Paul S

Evening Paul, copied from my earlier post in the EA thread;

If there is any rain tonight it will be freezing rain, which is more dangerous than snow! Lots of precip in the channel and some intense bursts, which if crossed our region would fall as sleet / snow in heavier bursts especialy away from coasts with some elevation. Fax for Sat is edging in the right direction for snow on higher ground (Chilterns) on Sat - http://www.wzkarten3...ics/brack3.gif. My current feeling is for some sleet at lower levels and Snow on high ground to the north of the region but it may be a blink and you miss it affair.

Re next week and beyond - My current punt would be cold again by Tues with a few light snow showers before a break down at the end of the week with snow on the leading edge. There will then be 1/2 weeks of milder weather (atlantic dominated) before cold returns at the begining of Feb

Posted

Paul S

Hadnt looked at it till you mentioned it but I think its related to an area of ppn heading up from France. I think the BBC forecast also mentioned it earlier, More a possibility than anything nailed on. Now more importantly Im off to find the footy results as youve whetted my appetite !

Posted

Hadnt looked at it till you mentioned it but I think its related to an area of ppn heading up from France. I think the BBC forecast also mentioned it earlier, More a possibility than anything nailed on. Now more importantly Im off to find the footy results as youve whetted my appetite !

That band of ppn is a long way off but appears to be tracking straight for London. It couldn't happen again. Could it?

Posted

We then ended the afternoon with an hour of the fluffiest snow I have seen for years - fantastic.

Whatever winter throws at us now I have had my fix of the white stuff!

Yeah it's been a good one, destroyed the myths if there were any left, that we cant get good settling snow in London, did better than quite a few actually.

Tonights PPN has been progged by the Invent radar to come across most of us by 6am with some quite potent bursts south of London - I just dont get why it's so guaranteed to be rain or sleet - uppers no good?

Anyway, champagnes out with the GFS 18z at 168, hows about a nice little streamer to kick off the next cold blast:

h850t850eu.png

Posted

Surely we can't be treated to a good old streamer this year as well. It would go down as one memorbale winter if we did! As for tomorrow morning, I was wondering the same thing. Any experts help us out here?

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Well after slowly falling pretty snow up till lunchtime, just looked out the window and it is raining!

Lying snow started melting quite fast earlier this evening. Such a quick change in weather - back to usual service again it seems for a whilerolleyes.gif

Those of you wondering about snow from ppn tonight - I would forget it, unless you are north of London perhaps