Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Whats all this about Freezing Rain and Possible Snow to the North of London on the TWO Homepage ??

Anyone else looked into this ??

Kind off caught me out as I was watching Liverpool get Humiliated

Paul S

Yes, 18z GFS and NAE take that area of rain over Normandy currently, N across southern and southeastern England in the morning, most temps atm in SE are above freezing though with extensive cloud cover, but if they do drop below could be some sheet ice where rain freezes on the ground locally.

Posted

Surely we can't be treated to a good old streamer this year as well. It would go down as one memorbale winter if we did! As for tomorrow morning, I was wondering the same thing. Any experts help us out here?

I''d be happy now with an early spring to be honest. The snow today in London was a real unexpected bonus and - count em - the fifth time snow has fallen and settled in the capital this season. That all said, a nice streamer with six inches of powder to top things off would be a great end to the winter, then all eyes on Mr Groundhog and his shadow as the days just start to tease out on February 2.

Edited by Downpour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

I've had heavy rain for last 20 minutes here in Peacehaven East Sussex, temp was 0.9c in my garden before the rain, it's now risen to 2.4 in last 20 minutes :D looks like my snow will be well on the way to melting now, at least I wont have to much ice to worry about on my drive to Burgess Hill tomorrow morning for work.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Just checked the temp in my garden and it has risen from 2C early evening to over 4C now! It sounds like someone has left a tap on - more than a drip, drip now as it was earlier

More like a pitter patter as several cms of snow are dissolving.

These temps seem a fair bit higher than the METO/BBC are suggesting tonight. The milder air must be coming in from the south off the channel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

So it would seem that that's it for now, although maybe pepping up again next week. I have to say that alongside the previous 15 years or so, this start to Winter has been more of a return to old. Although i've enjoyed it, it's been no '87 or '91 and so this cold spell is still a feeble homage to those years so far. However, i am now looking forward to the central heating being on a bit less, snow not all marched through the house by my two boys and hopefully, i can get out on my CRM for a blast.

It was fun while it lasted and, who know's, we may get some more! 6/8 weeks of winter to go yet!! :D

Posted

Watching that small area of rain between Brighton and Hastings moving north inland towards me, my current temp is -0.2°C, so wondering will it freeze on ground impact or will the temp creep above freezing when the rain arrives ... probably the latter though ground may still be close to 0 deg C.

Watching that small area of rain between Brighton and Hastings moving north inland towards me, my current temp is -0.2°C, so wondering will it freeze on ground impact or will the temp creep above freezing when the rain arrives ... probably the latter.

Nick, I'm guessing that the temp here (I live off the main Hastings to Tenterden A28) rose when the rain arrived about 30 mins ago.

Quite a temp contrast though from your area to mine - Tunbridge Wells is not far from me!!

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Nick, I'm guessing that the temp here (I live off the main Hastings to Tenterden A28) rose when the rain arrived about 30 mins ago.

Quite a temp contrast though from your area to mine - Tunbridge Wells is not far from me!!

Well, my temp has crept up since my last post to 0.2°C, so going the same way, nothing falling yet though. Concerned ground temp may stay at freezing though with no wind.

Well, my temp has crept up since my last post to 0.2°C, so going the same way, nothing falling yet though. Concerned ground temp may stay at freezing though with no wind.

I noticed a power line a couple of days ago that had a core of ice around it and a band of snow on the outside. You could see that is was weighed down from what would be its normal height.

The cable was strung out from its post across a main road through a thicket of snow laden trees to some buildings!

I noticed today while I was out and about in that locality that the cable was clear and the ice had gone, thankfully.

But if that is what snow can do, then it makes you wonder about freezing rain. Although I guess in this instance it matters less if air temps from just above the ground are above freezing.

Posted

I noticed a power line a couple of days ago that had a core of ice around it and a band of snow on the outside. You could see that is was weighed down from what would be its normal height.

The cable was strung out from its post across a main road through a thicket of snow laden trees to some buildings!

I noticed today while I was out and about in that locality that the cable was clear and the ice had gone, thankfully.

But if that is what snow can do, then it makes you wonder about freezing rain. Although I guess in this instance it matters less if air temps from just above the ground are above freezing.

I'm worried about icy rain too. I prefer to drive on something you can see!!

We have had only a slight melt today, hardly anything at all really. Still have around 4" on the ground.

Temp still just under 0c

P.S. TWO are saying snow for me in the morning!?? better than freezing rain I guess.

How I long for turning off the heating for a while and wearing something that does not make me look like a Yeti.

Just for a while. lol

Edited by cj114

Posted

Think ice on the ground will be the main problem tonight, as ground is probably frozen still and rain falling on it may freeze even if the air temp is above 0 deg C.

On the theme of ice, there are still some worryingly large icicles hanging from roof gutters above shop doorways in town, and I do wonder whether shop owners know the possible predicament of one of the biggies falling on someone outside their shop. The T-Mobile shop in town has had half its plastic sign broken due to icicles falling off the roof above!

I'm worried about icy rain too. I prefer to drive on something you can see!!

We have had only a slight melt today, hardly anything at all really. Still have around 4" on the ground.

Temp still just under 0c

After the heavy snow showers I had here all day on Saturday there was a slow thaw of the really thick snow on Sunday for a while but this stopped after lunch and no further snow melted at all till lunchtime today when the morning top up band of snow had just cleared. Since then it has got noticeably milder and milder and the thaw is really fast now. There was about 5" or 6" inches around midday, but that has reduced a lot now - over the course of this evening particularly.

Edit, Nick - yes I was icicle spotting today. Hopefully they all drop down when everyone is asleep!

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Whats all this about Freezing Rain and Possible Snow to the North of London on the TWO Homepage ??

Anyone else looked into this ??

Kind off caught me out as I was watching Liverpool get Humiliated

Paul S

The MetO are something else. They informed the Croydon Borough to expect rain from 0300hrs. The current band of ppn heading towards London is not what the MetO advised. There is a possibility that this particular band may fall as snow or freezing rain. The second band is what the MetO advised.

Dew Point is 0C and temp is 1C

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Nick, has it reached you yet? if so what is it?

Thanks

Carolyn

Precip is still about 5-10 miles south of me on radar, stuck my head out the door and nothing falling just a thick mist.

Will try and stay up and see what falls when it arrives!

Posted

Precip is still about 5-10 miles south of me on radar, stuck my head out the door and nothing falling just a thick mist.

Will try and stay up and see what falls when it arrives!

Thanks. It doesn't look too far away from you now.

Yamkin. You must have at least two feet of Snow to get rid of. lol

Have to say I was not impressed with the met office today, they said 2cm I got 8!!!!

Looks to have split and missed Nick.

No doubt it is on it's way to Croydon. AGAIN :cold:

Posted

Thanks. It doesn't look too far away from you now.

Yamkin. You must have at least two feet of Snow to get rid of. lol

Have to say I was not impressed with the met office today, they said 2cm I got 8!!!!

No doubt it is on it's way to Croydon. AGAIN :lol:

We got an additional 8.5cm in most places in Croydon. There is quite a lot of snow around, but the slow thaw is evident. The MetO advised at the time that we would get 1 - 3cm :wallbash: :wallbash: All councils pay the MetO for continuous weather updates. The MetO have unfortunately slipped up a few times recently which is not going down too well. Boris is demanding explanations from the MetO especially Wednesday continuous snow in Inner/Outer London.

Posted

No doubt it is on it's way to Croydon. AGAIN :wallbash:

Yep a common phenomenon here - especially with thunderstorms, at least the radar's accurate - there's nowt falling out the sky here.

Posted

We got an additional 8.5cm in most places in Croydon. There is quite a lot of snow around, but the slow thaw is evident. The MetO advised at the time that we would get 1 - 3cm :wallbash: :wallbash: All councils pay the MetO for continuous weather updates. The MetO have unfortunately slipped up a few times recently which is not going down too well. Boris is demanding explanations from the MetO especially Wednesday continuous snow in Inner/Outer London.

Interesting point. Forecasting winter weather in the uk is a tough business, but I think last night the ukmo was simply incompetent. It was evident to all but the most chronic mild ramper by 0000hrs last night that London was at high risk of a pasting, yet the ukmo chose to release a warning in the small hours when snow had already arrived. I went to bed before the action last very confident after looking at the radar but was amazed with the quantities. 5-6cm and a winter wonderland in Ealing. Not much fun for motorists however who were sliding all over the place on ungritted roads. What a winter this has been! Roll on more snow, or roll on spring!

Edited by Downpour

Posted

Have to say I had my doubts last night. But to wake up to ongoing Snow which lasted for 8hrs was just unbelievable.

Met Office mucked up in our neck of the Woods.

I know that Snow is very hard to forecast but the temps and dew points were right for Snow when I went to bed. Just surprised at the amount.

I have a friend who stupidly bought a rear wheel drive Car last year, I told her not to, she had seen me sliding around in my Merc etc.

So I fully expected her to change to front wheel. She didn't and has had a hard job keeping it on the road.

I however have been fine with my Honda, they are all front wheel drive.

Oh well, I have a long drive tomorrow, so hopefully people will drive according to the conditions.

Ciao [as Joe B says]

Yamkin. If you get another 6cm in the morning I will spit, I really will. lol :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Is anyone around in Sussex/Surrey to confirm what is falling there?

The temp is still marginal for snow - currently 2ºc here, havent't got a clue about dewpoint unfortunately, but I am in the middle of London, surely that ppn is falling as snow somewhere South of the capital???

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

It's tipping down in Dover now... it woke me up as we only have half a roof at the moment, no tiles. Saying my last goodbyes to our lying snow now, it's being erased!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Yup, the temp here has now gone up to 3ºc, so no surprises tonight. Off to bed, take care all!!!

Posted

Yup, the temp here has now gone up to 3ºc, so no surprises tonight. Off to bed, take care all!!!

Car temp read 4.5c as I drove to work with light rain and now have heavier rain.