Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hmmm - just got a Met Office advisory for heavy snow on Wednesday... cc_confused.gif

Yup, unbelievably the sickos up there are going to dump all the good stuff just to the West of London for the zillionth time, definitely need some new script writers. . . :)

. . lets hope for some egg on faces and big upgrades nearer the time :)

Edited by Gulf Stream Hate Campaign Leader

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

lots of tooing and frowing with the models atm, i dont think next week is settled by a long way, lets hope we have have some upgrades to come, the high is there and while its there we have a chance with cold air to tap into.

Posted

Wheres mr murr, havent seen him on here in the last couple of days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Really hot or really cold

Lovely morning here sun is shining steam coming off all the fences it's a pleasure to see

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

just to clear things up for Jan and anyone else interested. i posted this a while back > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8443745.stm

basically you have to be proved to have been careless in clearing your pathway

hope that settles any doubts :(

Thanks for that, MAF.

And from the same piece re your responsibility for the state of the path inside your property:

On your own land, it is a different matter. In England and Wales, you owe visitors a duty under the Occupiers Liability Act 1984 to take reasonable care to ensure that they are reasonably safe. So if you know someone is likely to walk up your garden path, like the milkman, and you know it's slippery, you must take reasonable steps to clear it and grit it if necessary.

But some people say it is your civic duty to help, even those high up. Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond, whose home is in Strichen, Aberdeenshire, has reportedly urged people to help neighbours.

"These are the worst weather conditions we've had for 30 years," he was quoted as saying in the Times.

"I would urge people to engage in self-help so that they have access to their driveways and pavements. They should do the same for their neighbours who might not be able to help themselves."

Of course there is shovel etiquette when it comes to clearing pavements and paths. Just shunting it in front of the neighbours' gate would probably be considered rude.

The gutter might seem a better bet. Or your own garden.

So do the nice thing, the right thing - and the legal thing.:good:

Posted

Evening all,

Are there any weather warnings out tonight for ice, ive just been out to pick up my daughter (10minute journey) and i saw THREE!! GRITTERS!!

more than i saw in the whole of the last cold snap :(

Posted

I think our office must be expecting HUGE amounts of snow to fall here tonight and tomorrow as our workmen have just been out and covered the car parks in an inch of grit, the whole place is white with it. Amazing as when we needed it last week they didn''t have any. What fun this winter is turning out to be!

Posted

Nice.

Something big is brewing...

I think you will love the GFS and GEFS ensembles even more....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Ok guys, Im a COMPLETE NOVICE and have been watching your posts for a while but do we think tomorrow will bring anything to NW London/Herts? Or are we dismissing this and now looking at the next few weeks?

thanks all and keep up the fab workdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

smile.gif just joined! hi everyone!

ive been reading netweather forums for about a year and really enjoy them thanks

Ok guys, Im a COMPLETE NOVICE and have been watching your posts for a while but do we think tomorrow will bring anything to NW London/Herts? Or are we dismissing this and now looking at the next few weeks?

thanks all and keep up the fab workdrinks.gif

looking quite likely for wet snow all around w/s london depends on ppn intensity to settle properlycold.gif

Posted

You can just feel that things are about to go pop again and this thread is going to spring into life any day soon.

Lloyd, nothing to get excited about yet, we're just not going to have the temperature profiles for anything of note tomorrow (maybe high ground). . . ( :lol: ). . . we'll probably see some flakes at some point though I would think, but we need to wait until the weekend and onwards for any fun to start.

If things keep trending the same way then then the beast shall return for next week - I for one hope it kicks our butts :air_kiss:

BTW thanks for all the PMs but I'm not selling my champagne anymore - unless Pete Tong comes back :lol:

Edited by Gulf Stream Hate Campaign Leader

Posted

well the wind has certainly picked up overnight and is a chilly South Easterly. all we need now is for the front to stall over London and the winds to do their bit and we may see some snow to lower levels smile.gif

just checking the forecasts and it certainly looks like cooling down a bit come Sunday. although i dont think it has been that mild since the snow went :unknw:

Edited by MAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

I dont think its gonna be cold enough to see lying snow here in London today .... maybe towards the weekend we mght be lucky... rolleyes.gif

just to add current conditions 3.5c dew 1.5c wind SE peak gust 5 mins 6 knots overcast grey. 1010.4 mb

Edited by MikeStanton

Posted

I dont think its gonna be cold enough to see lying snow here in London today .... maybe towards the weekend we mght be lucky... rolleyes.gif

just to add current conditions 3.5c dew 1.5c wind SE peak gust 5 mins 6 knots overcast grey. 1010.4 mb

well temps around 4.0 °C around the South East currently. and dew point around 1.0 °C so a slight drop could lead to some wintry PPN. tracking the PPN on the radar. it is now snowing in parts of berkshire with a heavy burst in Slough

agree though, that its probably too mild for it to settle. but would be nice to see coming down if it does :drinks:

Edited by MAF

Posted

Heavy rain/sleet here at the moment with the odd wet flake mixed in. No way it will settle even if it turns completely to snow - ground is way too wet. However, I live in the valley, so it may be more snowy at the tops of the hills.

Edited to say that heavy wet snow is falling now drinks.gif

Edited by Mrs M

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Sleeting in Brighton.

Posted

Turned back to light rain now but left a covering on grass and cars after about an hour of heavy snow. Quite a bonus when I wasn't really expecting anything!

Posted

Sleeting in Brighton.

quite a large line of PPN coming in from the Channel towards you there Chio.

i thought this PPN was meant to be moving West to East. seems on the radar its more South-North :drinks:

Posted

Sleeting in Brighton.

Snowing in Benny Burgess Hill Chiono !!!! :drinks:

Posted

Snowing in Benny Burgess Hill Chiono !!!! yahoo.gif

how long is this expected to be in the South for Coast? i saw a forecast showing it around at 15:00 still :unknw: