Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any Snow Left ? How Long Did It Last ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

the hill across from me has the whole top of its north side covered in snow id say its drifts that must be very deep as they have survived 9c temps and heavy rain and snow... and they are still there...

Posted

We've still got the remnants of a big snow pile in the car park at work from the snow we had in January. It's probably still about 15ft wide and 7ft high. It doesn't even look like snow now though as it's completely black and looks more like a big rock.

I've also noticed the odd patch of 'black snow' still lying around Consett as well. If we get this snow as expected this week then we'll officially have had snow on the ground since sometime in December. I'll have to confirm the date.

Posted

Went for a spin across the mountains round me yesterday was amazed at the amount of snow still lying the highest we got was around 500meters where there was a full cover in shaded valleys and rite down to around 200meters the drift remants are still there long patches of snow a good foot deep frozen solid. One in my back garden snow has stayed there since december the 17th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Are we on about Tuesday morning's snow, or Wednesday evening's snow? The answer to which is there are still patches this morning in gulleys etc. in rural areas, even at sea level.

Perhaps it's time to close this thread.

Why close the thread because you haven't got any from the original snow fall, the thread is self explanatory

Some suggest they have had lying snow for 30/40 days (even if thats 5% cover in gullies)

Went for a spin across the mountains round me yesterday was amazed at the amount of snow still lying the highest we got was around 500meters where there was a full cover in shaded valleys and rite down to around 200meters the drift remants are still there long patches of snow a good foot deep frozen solid. One in my back garden snow has stayed there since december the 17th.

So why should the thread be closed ?

Posted

Why close the thread because you haven't got any from the original snow fall, the thread is self explanatory

Some suggest they have had lying snow for 30/40 days (even if thats 5% cover in gullies)

I don't think the thread should be closed:/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

We've still got a few small ( in some cases, very small ) drift remnants dating back to mid-December which keep hanging on despite a lack of air frost and maxima generally between 2 and 5c.

Same here TM. I'm hoping they'll hang on until a possible top-up over the next week or two, which would mean snow patches surviving for two solid months, and I'm not sure the last time that happened here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

They've been skiing up at Yad Moss (near Alston) since mid December. I haven't been up since early January when the skiing was excellent but I'd imagine there is a deep consolidated base which considering the forecast for cold weather will mean there will be skiing until at least March.

Last year was a pretty good year up there but this year has been a throwback to the 80's.

http://csc.tayloredtechnology.com/ski/large.aspx?picture=Yadmoss-2-06-02-2010-13-53.jpg

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snowreport2.php

This area is run by volunteers and they do a fantastic job. The snow this year has brought many happy faces but hopefully its just the start of a return to cold snowy winters.

Posted

Erm..., there is lots of snow from many of the twenty snowfalls all over east central Scotland which I see everyday (see below in red writing). My point was that seeing as there have been many more snowfalls this winter since the 'original' snowfall in the south, the thread may have seemed to have run its course. And since I didn't close it bringing it up several days later to cause a row for the mistaken reason you state seems a bit odd. I do apologise for even suggesting it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Erm..., there is lots of snow from many snowfalls all over east central Scotland which I see everyday (see below in red writing). My point was that seeing as there have been many more snowfalls this winter since the 'original' snowfall in the south, the thread may have seemed to have run its course. And since I didn't close it bringing it up several days later to cause a row for the mistaken reason you state seems a bit odd. I do apologise for even suggesting that it might be irrelevant for some of us.

Personally speaking, as there is still snowcover at relatively low altitudes that has lasted since mid Dec the thread is till relevant. Hopefully the time to close the thread will be late March or April which will be an indicator of just how exceptional this winter has been.

Again only my opinion but I don't realy count piles of snow in car parks as counting as lasting snowcover. Natural snowcover such as drifts on hillside and patches of snow in shade etc I believe are better indicators.

Posted

Fair enough SW, but I've lost track of which snow patch is from which snow fall. But at least the thread's been re-invigorated!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Still some there on Wednesday 3rd but not going past Birdlip again for a while so you'll just have to let me know if any has survived

The snow patch is still going on Birdlip, went past it this morning and with the colder spell coming it should last a little while longer yet!

Posted

The snow patch is still going on Birdlip, went past it this morning and with the colder spell coming it should last a little while longer yet!

Great news thats 34 days then since the base was created.

Posted

Still one small patch of snow left over from the drifts that were created during the very heavy snowfall of early January here in The Surrey/Hampshire borders.

Posted

Yes the A417 snow patch at Birdlip, Glos lives on now ~ 30ft long x 3 ft wide by up to 1 ft deep that makes ~36 days and just when you think it can't get any better a picture will follow later !!!! Oh and swindon dog track man made snow pile still going too.

I really do lead a full and worthwhile life..............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well still plenty of large snow patches on the hills around here from the snowfalls of early Jan and there will have been a few patches from 17th Dec, so lying snow for two months is not bad going!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just a few small remaining patches in hilltop gulleys above 350m in this area. More distant and larger drift remnants visible today due to the excellent visibilty on Pumlumon and Cader Idris well to our north (high hills above 700m).

These are remnants from snowfall in mid January. Snow in some form has been visible to me most days since Christmas Eve, and all days since New Year.

Edited by Tonyh

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Yes herewith photographic proof of the Birdlip snow patch that i have been banging on about for the last month.post-8046-12659655062917_thumb.jpg

Officially reburied end of last week 18th so 44 days and counting.

With today's snow the base will last a little longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Officially reburied end of last week 18th so 44 days and counting.

With today's snow the base will last a little longer.

Which just goes to show no real mild spell this winter.

With regard to people reporting snow lasting above a 1000ft I was thinking the thread should be about low lying areas, as mods have been keen to close the thread down as there is no snow in their back garden . whistling.gif

Maybe we could get 50 days of snow on the ground below a 750ft in England could that beat 78/79 ?

Heavy snow again in North Oxfordshire. I havent kept a record of the number of days we have had snow this winter, I would guess 25+ with about 18 ish days its settled

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Which just goes to show no real mild spell this winter.

With regard to people reporting snow lasting above a 1000ft I was thinking the thread should be about low lying areas, as mods have been keen to close the thread down as there is no snow in their back garden . whistling.gif

Maybe we could get 50 days of snow on the ground below a 750ft in England could that beat 78/79 ?

Heavy snow again in North Oxfordshire. I havent kept a record of the number of days we have had snow this winter, I would guess 25+ with about 18 ish days its settled

78/79 is in a different league to this winter. At 155m asl in Co Durham there was 62 days continous snow lying. Overall total must have been around 75 days. Depths were greater and several blizzards made the condition far worse than this year.

Mark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

78/79 is in a different league to this winter. At 155m asl in Co Durham there was 62 days continous snow lying. Overall total must have been around 75 days. Depths were greater and several blizzards made the condition far worse than this year.

Mark

I agree with that. While this winter may be noteworthy for the lack of mild spells and, in some places, the longevity of lying snow it's still a long way short of conditions in 1979. It also needs to be borne in mind that there is a world of difference between 40 odd days with snow lying as per the met' office definition and 40 days with the last drift remnants lying. For instance in the 1978/79 snow season here ( October-May )there were 82 mornings with lying snow covering more than half the ground but there were 110 mornings when some snow was lying.

Posted

This winter Cheviot has been white continuously since the snows arrived early december,whilst this winter has been below average temperature wise for a long time now the winter of 78-79 was memorable for its frequent cold spells and above all the huge snowfalls we had mid -feb and mid-march.

Posted

I agree with that. While this winter may be noteworthy for the lack of mild spells and, in some places, the longevity of lying snow it's still a long way short of conditions in 1979. It also needs to be borne in mind that there is a world of difference between 40 odd days with snow lying as per the met' office definition and 40 days with the last drift remnants lying. For instance in the 1978/79 snow season here ( October-May )there were 82 mornings with lying snow covering more than half the ground but there were 110 mornings when some snow was lying.

78/79 beats 47/63 for number of days snow over high ground of Northern England and N Wales. At Forest in Teesdale there were 83 days snow lying in 1947 but probably over a 100 in 78/79.

From the Midlands Southwards milder incursion meant conditions weren't as prolonged.

Mark