Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any Snow Left ? How Long Did It Last ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Everything above 200-250m in Lothian, Fife and Perth & Kinross still shining white :lol:

Yep Shuggee - the Lammermuirs in East Lothian are shining in todays bright sunshine and blue skies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Everything above 200-250m in Lothian, Fife and Perth & Kinross still shining white :whistling:

Once up in the Perth & Kinross even lower in places. See todays photo from Aberfeldy at 100 mtrs asl. Now equalled 81/82 for snow lying days. Overnight frosts have kept the cover and there has been no rain to wash it away.

http://www.aberfeldyweather.com/

Posted

Yes - I was on the train today between Dundee and Glasgow. And the snow between Perth and Stirling is simply outrageous. Right down to track side and several inches deep - and the piles of the stuff alongside roads/car parks and even on Gleneagles station can be measured in feet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Today was the 57th morning of over 50% snow cover this Winter at my mum's near Aberfeldy at 100 mtrs asl..

This beats 1981/82's 56 days. At the current rate of melt though I suspect it will be < 50% by the end of the weekend so unless there is another cold snap 1978/79's 70 days is safe. <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Every morning I look at the Nenthead webcam expecting the snow cover to have largely disappeared but, yet again, it's still there, albeit now with a few bare patches but still over 50% cover. I'd be interested to know what depth they had before the thaw started for it to have persisted so long. The highest villages around here had about 6 days with snow cover from the beginning of March but there are only scattered drifts left now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Every morning I look at the Nenthead webcam expecting the snow cover to have largely disappeared but, yet again, it's still there, albeit now with a few bare patches but still over 50% cover. I'd be interested to know what depth they had before the thaw started for it to have persisted so long. The highest villages around here had about 6 days with snow cover from the beginning of March but there are only scattered drifts left now.

Out of interest do we usually expect the highest peaks in England to lose their snow cover end of April early May or is it far more variable then that ?.

I.e. is there a time in mild English winters when there is no snow at any height in England in say early March??

Snow patches surviving in Scotland seem to favour strong south westerly's?

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

I was up Bleaklow yesterday, the snow cover is going but it's going to be a while until the last of it is gone. Some thick drifts in gullies grykes that will take a while to be gone.

Posted

Just lost 50% cover in Dunblane today. Just up the road however there is still loads.

First pic is Sherrifmuir Road at around 300m. Second is view looking NW from Ochils, the valley in the midground is at around 100m altitude and still well covered, as mentioned by Shugee a couple of days ago.

post-8494-12684406593655_thumb.jpg post-8494-12684406936755_thumb.jpg

Posted

Still >50% snow cover this morning in my mum's garden in Aberfeldy but double figure temps have made it very wet. Will it last until tomorrow?

Here in Dundee it is 11.5C now with bright spells and a fresh North Westerly, the warmest day since 21st Nov last year.

Posted

Theres still snow drifts on the berwyns,And theres still one pile of snow left here well sheltered,it`s more or less hard rock snow now 9.3c max today.

Snow which has refrozen so many many times will take some thawing since January.

Posted

The nearest snow to my own house, that I know of, is a small patch in a gully about 2 miles north at about 350m.

I was cycling around the southern half of the Peak District today and there are numerous small drift remnants under the walls and in hollows from about 11 miles south of Buxton northward. Quite a lot of snow patches visible from a distance on Axe Edge and the area around it.

Posted

Snowline has retreated to about 600m over the lakeland fells, there are deep drifts below this level to about 400m in sheltered parts. Above 600m the snow is still very deep and will take a long time to shift.

I was on Whernside this afternoon and it was difficult not to avoid the snow above 600m, still a very wintry scene.

All very normal it is only March and snow often lingers well into April and sometimes early May on the highest ground in Cumbria.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

yes snow still on hill behind me... hills inland at top are all covered with about 5 inches which will be gone by the end of the week if it rains again! the grass is all bumby now up there.

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

Visited my mum this afternoon in Aberfeldy. Crief road down towards town like a river with snowmelt. Valley bottom and lower North facing slopes mostly clear now.

Surprised to see her garden still well over 50% covered [60 days now this Winter] though the clear area under her apple tree has grown significantly and is now about a quarter of the back lawn. Should make tomorrow but no more I reckon.

Noticed the field that the Council dumped the snow from the most recent [and earlier big snowfalls] in still has piles about 25 feet high which will last for weeks though it is pretty mucky now.

Posted

Does anyone know how much snow is left at places like Braemar or Dalwhinnie? I've searced around for web cams but with no success.

I'll be very interested to see how many snow lying days these places end up with and whether the total for 1950/51 can be beaten; this was 102 days at Braemar between October 1950 and May 1951.

Posted

Well these are the last small patches left in the woods at the edge of the farm at 100m asl. They have been there to a greater or lesser extent since the 18th of December and as it is now 4c this evening I think they will just about survive tomorrow especially as the ground beneath them is still frozen. The rain of the last two days has probably helped to melt them qite a bit and has made the ground very wet just as we thought we might get into the fields again. The hills around us still have huge scars and above 3000feet it is still completely white.post-2744-12686802309455_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12686802651455_thumb.jpg

Posted

Anybody got any picture of one of the 3,000ft plus mountains in Scotland or if I may be pushy the 4,000ft plus mountains with there current snowcover. I guess theres still a fair bit.

Posted

Anybody got any picture of one of the 3,000ft plus mountains in Scotland or if I may be pushy the 4,000ft plus mountains with there current snowcover. I guess theres still a fair bit.

I think you will find snow above 3000ft or 4000 ft well into May and some patches surving through the summer rolleyes.gif

I was suggesting when I open the thread re low lying areas and that seem to be under a 1000ft. Of course for Norfolk anything above 50ft is high whistling.gif

Posted

I know that the snow will be there for a while but living in an area that has no sign of winter left I've gone into snowthirst mode, that's why I was asking I suppose you could call it snow pawn.

Posted

Have a look at Winter Highland for pics and discussions about Highland snow. A recent topic on avalanches is interesting. Snow cover remains thick above 1000 feet from Perthshire through the Highlands to Grampian and some snow remains to below 500 feet in many North facing and sheltered areas.

http://www.winterhighland.info/

Posted

Still quite a bit of Snow on the Ochils behind me, which are only about 1000ft anyway. Will try and take a few snaps if home before dark.

Posted

Still good amounts of snow on the Wicklow Mountains South of Dublin. Reckon it will be there till June such is the ammounts. It would want to really hot up to melt the stuff before the end of May.

Posted

I can still see snow in the gullies on the hill opposite my house, its a north facing slope.

Shadowfax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Still a few patches of snow up on the moors around Waskerley which I can see from Consett, County Durham.

Much more in parts of Weardale, my parents went last Friday and have photos of snow piled up taller than the car all along the road, and also some snow which has been cut into (not piled up or drifted) about 2ft deep. Probably melted quite a bit now though after a few mild days.

Posted

Still good amounts of snow on the Wicklow Mountains South of Dublin. Reckon it will be there till June such is the ammounts. It would want to really hot up to melt the stuff before the end of May.

Firefly does a great job keeping us up to date for Scotland

Any volunteers for England Wales Ireland?.

I assume we have never had a year or it's very rare for snow patches to survive up to the next season in these places?

I assume the tops of Snowden and the like loose any remaining snow early June?

Any research done on this?