Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any Snow Left ? How Long Did It Last ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Still a few patches of snow up on the moors around Waskerley which I can see from Consett, County Durham.

Much more in parts of Weardale, my parents went last Friday and have photos of snow piled up taller than the car all along the road, and also some snow which has been cut into (not piled up or drifted) about 2ft deep. Probably melted quite a bit now though after a few mild days.

yes was like that here up top of a hill near me but it is all patchy now id say itll be gone by the end of next week.. with this mild weather and rain.

Posted

Still patches on the Pennines around Manchester

Still a pile in the car park at Old Trafford:

4438590375_3dca366fa3_b.jpg

Photo taken on Monday, but it was stil there yesterday.

Andrew

Posted

Still a pile in the car park at Old Trafford:

Ferguson put Eric Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson under there I think.....whistling.gif

(sorry Mods off topic I know but couldn't resist)

4438590375_3dca366fa3_b.jpg

Photo taken on Monday, but it was stil there yesterday.

Andrew

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Still snow at the bottom of my mum's garden in Aberfeldy, Highland Perthshire. Now under 50% but the 73rd day with snow, 63 of which had > 50%. Best since 1979.

Tomorrows rain may well see off the last of it though but the piles in the field where the council put the snow from clearing the streets will be there for weeks yet.

Still patches in sight from Dundee on the South side of the Sidlaws at about 800 feet but getting smaller.

Posted

Anybody got any picture of one of the 3,000ft plus mountains in Scotland or if I may be pushy the 4,000ft plus mountains with there current snowcover. I guess theres still a fair bit.

Not quite 3000ft but here are some shots from the top of the Lecht late last week.

post-4308-12688716437155_thumb.jpg

post-4308-12688717503555_thumb.jpg

post-4308-12688718406055_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Still patches on the Pennines around Manchester

Reminds of the shopping malls of the USA, when its 55f and mounds of snow , very cereal

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Reminds of the shopping malls of the USA, when its 55f and mounds of snow , very cereal

Cornflakes or wheatabix?:)

Don't think the hills of Wales would have any snow left now after 14-15c days.

Posted

Cornflakes or wheatabix?biggrin.gif

Don't think the hills of Wales would have any snow left now after 14-15c days.

Seems to be some snow near the top of Snowden at least

http://www.snowdonia...on/weather.html#

Cereal serial 'cerreal' ??

Why did my English teacher say try using English rather then your own dialect all those years ago

Edited by stewfox

Posted

:winky:

Seems to be some snow near the top of Snowden at least

http://www.snowdonia...on/weather.html#

Cereal serial 'cerreal' ??

Why did my English teacher say try using English rather then your own dialect all those years ago

No keep the dialect! It would be surreal to change to Inglash

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

There is still a little bit of snow on the Clwydians - although it is now restricted to one or two very thin gullies. I have been able to see some snow from my house every day (I think) since mid-December. There is a pub near Mold that was having some roadworks outside for weeks. When it snowed heavily in early Jan the roadworkers piled the snow up to form a 20ft mound in the pub carpark. I am pretty sure it's still there, although very dirty and only 3ft now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

I can still see a few snow patches left on the north side of Holme Moss, but the last few patches here disappeared during last week. For the patches still left that still means over three months continuous, which must be challenging 62/63 for longevity ? (surely has beaten 1947 since that didn't start until after New Year). I would hazard a guess and say this is the longest stretch of continuous snow cover (at least for the surviving patches anyway) for this part of the Pennines in living memory ?

Posted

I can still see a few snow patches left on the north side of Holme Moss, but the last few patches here disappeared during last week. For the patches still left that still means over three months continuous, which must be challenging 62/63 for longevity ? (surely has beaten 1947 since that didn't start until after New Year). I would hazard a guess and say this is the longest stretch of continuous snow cover (at least for the surviving patches anyway) for this part of the Pennines in living memory ?

Wasn't there an snow drifts left well into May around highest parts of the Manchester area Pennines in 95/96?

1978/79 has the record of days snow lying over high ground in England and Wales, far higher than this year.

Mark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Snow patches left on Moel Siabod, Pen-Yr Ole Wen and Snowdon, I went through some meself this week-end. Very slushy stuff though...

Posted

Still plenty of snow above about 800m over the lakeland fells especially in northern and eastern sheltered parts, it is becoming very slushy and with the heavy rain is likely to quickly dissapear over the next few days.

Posted

1978/79 has the record of days snow lying over high ground in England and Wales, far higher than this year.

Mark

Care to quote some figures ?

Most low lying areas lost the snow 24th Feb 1979 . I would guess 2/3 weeks later for higher areas happy to be corrected

March 1979 CET ranked 122nd coldest April 1979 167th coldest with Dec 1978 164th Coldest hardly months to write home about

March 1947 CET 50th coldest saw longer lying snow in March

Posted

Care to quote some figures ?

Most low lying areas lost the snow 24th Feb 1979 . I would guess 2/3 weeks later for higher areas happy to be corrected

March 1979 CET ranked 122nd coldest April 1979 167th coldest with Dec 1978 164th Coldest hardly months to write home about

March 1947 CET 50th coldest saw longer lying snow in March

Some data from TM a few weeks back, from British snow survey.

certainly the case around these parts too. Buxton recorded 71 mornings with lying snow in 46/47, 74 in 62/63 and 83 in 78/79 ( figures relate to entire snow season from Nov-May ). Compare this with Woburn in Bedfordshire where there were 58 mornings with lying snow in 46/47, 69 in 62/63 but only 28 in 78/79.

A bit nearer to your area Catcleugh in Northumberland at 250mts had 84 mornings with lying snow in 78/79 including 64 from Dec'-Feb'. The maximum level depth was 59cm on Feb' 16th. I'd imgaine the higher villages such as Nenthead must have had close on 100 mornings with lying snow in the entire 78/79 season, possibly even more than 100 as Chelker in North Yorks (223mts ) reported 97 mornings, Malham Tarn ( 395 mts ) had 89 and Moorland Cottage near Seburgh ( 343mts) had 93.

The coldest villages in the N Pennines will have had well over 100 days snow lying.

Mark

Posted

Im guessing the hills in Scotland and Northern England are going to get a major top up Monday/Tuesday then further snow showers in the week!

Posted

Im guessing the hills in Scotland and Northern England are going to get a major top up Monday/Tuesday then further snow showers in the week!

yea theres only a few patches of snow at the top of hills here but i dont care as we are bound to get them topped up.... maybe if the front goes like the one we had here a few weeks ago the hills could get 1 foot in drifts??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

In the immediate area around where I live most have melted but there are still a few hanging on! If can hold on till Tues/Wed then we might get a top up.

Posted

Still a solid thick bank of snow on the western slopes of Whernside and most probably along the eastern summit ridge.

Northern fells are going to get plenty of heavy snow this week, with deep drifts which will likely time some time to clear helping to further prolong the length of snow cover this season appreciably.

The mountain weather forecast was saying 3 ft level snow drifting on the southern uplands from the upcoming system, thereafter with a cold polar flow plenty more snow showers can be expected on the fells. Certainly not a week to be walking on the higher fells in the north. Very difficult conditions with whiteouts at times and severe windchill. Early April in the northern fells can be as brutal as mid winter and often catches people out - hope people are prepared.

Posted

I was planning to be wild-camping around mid-April in the Lakes. With this Arctic Pooling (aswell as the train strikes) looks like that'll be put on hold until spring truly comes round in mid-May.

As for the Snow Patches, I haven't seen Kinder Downfall due to Chinley Churn being in the line of sight, but Brown Knoll which is at around 1600ft has a few muddy patches of snow left in the deeper Gulleys the last time I looked earlier this weekend. I'd imagine the higher Pennines would still have the Blankets of Snow since Late December, quite a feat.