Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any Snow Left ? How Long Did It Last ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

78/79 beats 47/63 for number of days snow over high ground of Northern England and N Wales. At Forest in Teesdale there were 83 days snow lying in 1947 but probably over a 100 in 78/79.

From the Midlands Southwards milder incursion meant conditions weren't as prolonged.

Mark

That's certainly the case around these parts too. Buxton recorded 71 mornings with lying snow in 46/47, 74 in 62/63 and 83 in 78/79 ( figures relate to entire snow season from Nov-May ). Compare this with Woburn in Bedfordshire where there were 58 mornings with lying snow in 46/47, 69 in 62/63 but only 28 in 78/79.

A bit nearer to your area Catcleugh in Northumberland at 250mts had 84 mornings with lying snow in 78/79 including 64 from Dec'-Feb'. The maximum level depth was 59cm on Feb' 16th. I'd imgaine the higher villages such as Nenthead must have had close on 100 mornings with lying snow in the entire 78/79 season, possibly even more than 100 as Chelker in North Yorks (223mts ) reported 97 mornings, Malham Tarn ( 395 mts ) had 89 and Moorland Cottage near Seburgh ( 343mts) had 93.

Posted

78/79 beats 47/63 for number of days snow over high ground of Northern England and N Wales. At Forest in Teesdale there were 83 days snow lying in 1947 but probably over a 100 in 78/79.

From the Midlands Southwards milder incursion meant conditions weren't as prolonged.

Mark

What was 1950-51 like? That was a very snowy season for upland parts of northern Britain.

Posted

That's certainly the case around these parts too. Buxton recorded 71 mornings with lying snow in 46/47, 74 in 62/63 and 83 in 78/79 ( figures relate to entire snow season from Nov-May ). Compare this with Woburn in Bedfordshire where there were 58 mornings with lying snow in 46/47, 69 in 62/63 but only 28 in 78/79.

A bit nearer to your area Catcleugh in Northumberland at 250mts had 84 mornings with lying snow in 78/79 including 64 from Dec'-Feb'. The maximum level depth was 59cm on Feb' 16th. I'd imgaine the higher villages such as Nenthead must have had close on 100 mornings with lying snow in the entire 78/79 season, possibly even more than 100 as Chelker in North Yorks (223mts ) reported 97 mornings, Malham Tarn ( 395 mts ) had 89 and Moorland Cottage near Seburgh ( 343mts) had 93.

Great stats, where did you get them?

Higher parts of N Pennines are significantly colder than those sites you have mentioned. Upper Weardale/Teesdale area will have been nearer 110/120 perhaps. I have a paper by S.D Burt (Snowfall in Britain during the winter of 1978/79) the only figures are 166 Days for Great Dun Fell, 202 Days Cairngorm, 200 Aonach Mor.

Mark

What was 1950-51 like? That was a very snowy season for upland parts of northern Britain.

I know Gordon Manley thought that was snowiest winter at higher levels but that was written pre 78/79. Spring 79 was cold thats what extended the season at higher levels. Dont know what 1950/51 spring was like?

Mark

Posted

A cold one, colder than spring 1979

I'm going to go down to Meto archive this summer, I'll have a look at Forest in Teesdale records.

D.S Burt paper says 78/79 was snowiest across N England/N Wales in 32 years at least. I think that when British snow survey started.

Mark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Great stats, where did you get them?

Higher parts of N Pennines are significantly colder than those sites you have mentioned. Upper Weardale/Teesdale area will have been nearer 110/120 perhaps. I have a paper by S.D Burt (Snowfall in Britain during the winter of 1978/79) the only figures are 166 Days for Great Dun Fell, 202 Days Cairngorm, 200 Aonach Mor.

Mark

Stats are from 'The Snow survey of Great Britain' which used to be published by the Met' Office but which, I'm afraid, no longer exists.

The 1950/51 season certainly seems to be considerably snowier the further north you go. Buxton had 48 snow lying mornings in that season, a total that was exceeded in several years including 1954/55, 1968/69 and 1969/70.

West Linton however in the Southern Uplands had 65 mornings with snow lying in 50/51 and this figure was exceeded only by 46/47 ( 66 ) 62/63 ( 82 ) and 78/79 ( 62 )

At Balmoral the 50/51 season was the snowiest in the record from 46/47 to 78/79 with 102 mornings. The next nearest was 69/70 with 96.

Contrast these figures with those from Woburn and Boscombe Down which recorded 12 and 10 mornings respectively in 50/51, a number exceeded in almost a dozen other years between 46/47 andd 78/79.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I would shudder the thought of how many snow days Banchory here in Aberdeenshire has had. We still have an easy 6" on the ground, i would guess at about 40 days since Dec so far...maybe even more, places such as Braemar prob havent had any days free of snow since Dec, they still have 2feet on the roofs

I would shudder the thought of how many snow days Banchory here in Aberdeenshire has had. We still have an easy 6" on the ground, i would guess at about 40 days since Dec so far...maybe even more, places such as Braemar prob havent had any days free of snow since Dec, they still have 2feet on the roofs

Some places up north must be going for triple figures (100+). We're heading for at least 35 days snow cover (and probably more given that there's still several inches on the ground) and that's in the lowlands at 100m. Goodness knows how long the snow will persist higher up and further north :o

Posted

Only the odd pile of cleared snow left now but just up the road on the lower hills of the Cheviots it has been glistening white since December 12th and looks like being like that for some time to come.

Posted

Some places up north must be going for triple figures (100+). We're heading for at least 35 days snow cover (and probably more given that there's still several inches on the ground) and that's in the lowlands at 100m. Goodness knows how long the snow will persist higher up and further north :o

Yeah i know, tell me about it, they only just managed to get to Cairngorm Ski resort. The train is still blocked. The snow depths are 150cm lower and 250cm upper. There are 25ft drifts in some places...absolutely crazy amount of snow in Scotland this year, long may our winters like this continue

Posted

The Peak district are still white with deep snow, Snow laying since December up there and pretty much similar around here since then. ;)

Posted

General snow cover away from south and west facing slopes above about 500m over the Lake District. There has been a general cover above about 700m since around the 17th December. Depths of snow are high easily a foot or so above about 700m, but at no point this winter have we come close to the depths we recorded in Feb 96.

Posted

Still a huge pile in the car[arks at Old Trafford football ground. All ploughed up to free up those valuable parking spaces - £10 a head. Must get a photo before it melts.

Andrew

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Just patches in the shade left here from last Fridays snow.

As Rollo says the Cheviots have masses of snow;

http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?50,2094

The North Pennines still have a lot of snow which can be viewed from Yad Moss's webcam

http://csc.tayloredtechnology.com/ski/large.aspx?picture=Yadmoss-1-03-03-2010-08-44.jpg

Depths of snow are very deep and on the higher slopes generally consist of around 1-1.5m of wind packed snow.

Edited by Snow White

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just patches in the shade left here from last Fridays snow.

As Rollo says the Cheviots have masses of snow;

http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?50,2094

The North Pennines still have a lot of snow which can be viewed from Yad Moss's webcam

http://csc.tayloredtechnology.com/ski/large.aspx?picture=Yadmoss-1-03-03-2010-08-44.jpg

Depths of snow are very deep and on the higher slopes generally consist of around 1-1.5m of wind packed snow.

Here two piles remain from December's snow in the school car park my youngest goes to for indoor football training. Shows how cold it has been as the snow here was never that deep.

Meanwhile at my mum's garden in Highland Perthshire there are still about 20 cms of completely frozen snow remaining. Will not go quickly I think without heavy rain.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Still plenty of patches on the hills around here, I wonder they will make it 3 months...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Still plenty of patches on the hills around here, I wonder they will make it 3 months...

Their has been at least a patch of snow up on the moors at Ringinglow near Sheffield since Mid December.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

yes top of mountain behind me been there since about the start of december but only patches as its beside sea well near... then inland about 10 miles the mountain has about 2 foot of snow at top which has been there about 4 months now too.. not going anywhere and its around 12-13c outside and its still their hasnt melted much at all today. suppose freezing nights will help it.. i wonder how long it can stay...

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Can't see the snow patches on nearby hills anymore from the bedroom window- they lasted since January 1st.

However in the north of Ceredigion, plenty of snow patches above 300m, and Pumlumon (700m) has extensive cover.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Today on Ingleborough, enough to have plenty of fun up there!

post-8083-12680067190055_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Picture this morning from local weather site near my mum's house in Perthshire. 100 mtrs asl approx. Melted patches showing through now on the South facing field. Her garden still has unbroken snow away from under the trees despite recent warmer temps.

http://www.aberfeldyweather.com/phy/clim/490/DSCF5286.JPG

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Picture this morning from local weather site near my mum's house in Perthshire. 100 mtrs asl approx. Melted patches showing through now on the South facing field. Her garden still has unbroken snow away from under the trees despite recent warmer temps.

http://www.aberfeldyweather.com/phy/clim/490/DSCF5286.JPG

Still there this morning but melting after the overnight frost. One more day to equal 81/82's 56 snow lying days.

No chance now of getting near 1979's 70 days though unless we get a 1975 type late March early April.

Still there this morning but melting after the overnight frost. One more day to equal 81/82's 56 snow lying days.

No chance now of getting near 1979's 70 days though unless we get a 1975 type late March early April.

I wonder how long the patches will last though, once the 50% Met-O rule has gone? I reckon some of the patches round here could last a fortnight more, if the weather stays dry.

Posted

Can't see the snow patches on nearby hills anymore from the bedroom window- they lasted since January 1st.

However in the north of Ceredigion, plenty of snow patches above 300m, and Pumlumon (700m) has extensive cover.

Could not see it from 4 miles away, but went to Pencarreg hill this afternoon, and just a very small patch remains up there in a shaded hillside hollow.

Could also see the snow on the distant Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains.

Posted

Everything above 200-250m in Lothian, Fife and Perth & Kinross still shining white :drinks: