Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Very mild here today, 11.5C max, currently 10.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

0.6C here... thats quite a difference to Cheltenham! Although, its clear here at the moment.

High today was 7.3C

I can't see much snow coming out of this, but we shall see.

Posted

Wow that is a big difference. Must be your altitude. Still 10.6 here.

Posted

I like it! :whistling:

we all know once the mighty ATLANTIC gets into full flow nothing can stop it not even 1055mb HP coming in from siberia. the atlantic is the most brutal force on earth and can swat its enemies with the minium of fuss when and where it likes. i mean look at the facts the door was only slightly ajar for the atlantic to come back in across us but it was enough and the sheer power of it did the rest now we have temps of around 8-10c genrerally in the south. has soon has that blocking high moved in the north atlantic it was in across the uk like a rat down a drain pipe it pounced with a predators instinct and in minutes the oppisition were destroyed. and we need that block back more than the siberian high otherwise the MIGHTY ATLANTIC will dominate the rest of our winter. i guess the only saving grace is the bitter air aint that far away so its always got a chance to push back in for 1 final hoorah thats if the atlantic feels in a generous mood that is.:whistling:

Edited by WESTERN SNOWS

Posted

Well the latest NAE plonks a 14 over Cheltenham, by 6pm on Wednesday.

But 14mm of what?

10012018_1818.gif

I'm yet to be convinced we will see much snow in Cheltenham, but I won't be surprised if there's snow on the hills.

Nevertheless, Ian's latest update looks interesting:

latest_snow-estimation_wed.jpg

OK as it comes out - T+36 on the NAE shows rain turning to snow by 6am on Weds

10012006_1818.gif

Some snowfall accumulating chiefly in Gloucestershire by 9am:

10012009_1818.gif

Looks heavy, whatever it turns out as. The Midlanders will be pleased with this one.

10012012_1818.gif

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

Well the latest NAE plonks a 14 over Cheltenham, by 6pm on Wednesday.

But 14mm of what?

well if todays temps are anything to go by then rain i just cant see how the cold air is gonna get this far down. for me it looks more like the midlands across east anglia and the north east but we shall see i guess.

10012018_1818.gif

I'm yet to be convinced we will see much snow in Cheltenham, but I won't be surprised if there's snow on the hills.

Nevertheless, Ian's latest update looks interesting:

latest_snow-estimation_wed.jpg

OK as it comes out - T+36 on the NAE shows rain turning to snow by 6am on Weds

10012006_1818.gif

Posted

On the other hand, the GFS has the ppt. stalling further SW, making it a Devon and Pembrokeshire event

uksnowdepth.png

Hi Western Snows :whistling: Bit lonely in here this evening.. I'm not yet convinced we will see snow either but I'll be keeping an eye on it tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if we have rain on low ground and wet snow about about 150m.

Posted

On the other hand, the GFS has the ppt. stalling further SW, making it a Devon and Pembrokeshire event

uksnowdepth.png

Hi Western Snows :whistling: Bit lonely in here this evening.. I'm not yet convinced we will see snow either but I'll be keeping an eye on it tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if we have rain on low ground and wet snow about about 150m.

hi jt yes its all gone a lil quite for now but like you sed worth keeping an eye on just in case but i think we got more chance of something in the last week of the month with the colder easterlie winds. lots of the model runs do suggest it and are quite consistant day to day on this so fingers crossed

WS

Posted

Hi guys

One thing we have to bear in mind with snow this wet in nature is the old 1cm=1mm rule doesnt apply as much - hence warnings for up to 10cms as top end values currently despite 12-14mm rainfall totals

However its very much a battle of the GFS vs NAe currently - and the GFS has been rather inconsistent with the forecast for wednesday from what ive seen

Infact if this evenings NAE is to be believed south wales and the south midlands will have snow rather drier in nature

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/18/basis18/ukuk/tmp2/10012012_2_1818.gif

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/18/basis18/ukuk/t850/10012012_2_1818.gif

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/18/basis18/ukuk/t925/10012012_2_1818.gif

0c from surface to 850mB level (and beyond) - its all going to depend on dew points really

Accumulation may be a bit tricky though at sea level - most snow cover is likely to be very temporary

This is assuming that the NAE is still playing things rights, of course we could be shockingly suprised as the GFS tries to claim the short range crown...

SK

Posted

Oh for goodness sake! I am starting to get highly irritated now. I have had little sleep, I have been working more or less constantly since 10am yesterday morning and I feel ill. The last thing I need is for more bl**dy snow!

I know I am being irrational and it is no one's fault, but I need to moan and I have had to stop moaning on Facebook for professional reasons so you lot have got it!

This weather forecast had better change. wallbash.gif

Posted

loving this thread ,over the past weeks especially n longer, an excellent mix of accurate meteorolgy , interesting guessology n witty (SOMETIMES) chucklology , KEEP THE LOVE FLOWING FOR THE SNOWING!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Welcome to NW!

Who knows, we could have some more snow soon to go a little crazy about....

Posted

sshhh!

I don't think Dancing Daisy wants to hear 'more snow on the way'.

This latest event brewing will probably miss me (sob) too near the coast and not far enough East looking at the BBC weather chart.

Fingers crossed, heck, everything crossed!

Posted

YES I NOTICE , the daisy is maybe not to keen on more o the white stuff!, dont ya jus love the unpredictability of our wonderous weather! gurt lush i tell yee, my sleep suffers when the threat is about, but it is so worth it , fingers crossed!!!

Posted

sshhh!

I don't think Dancing Daisy wants to hear 'more snow on the way'.

This latest event brewing will probably miss me (sob) too near the coast and not far enough East looking at the BBC weather chart.

Fingers crossed, heck, everything crossed!

Oh ignore me. I am not usually such a miserable cow, I promise! I have just got a hell of a lot on at the moment and the threat of more snow could quite possibly ruin my life!

</drama queen>

rolleyes.gif

Posted

I have been lurking for a while and my whole family thinks I am a complete weather muppet.

Don't let my name fool you all - 'quantock near 40' didn't have the same ring!

well to be a weather muppett is a must ,an a title i think i have tooo, way hay! sounds like a name for a new tv show !!!!