Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

well it as sort of stopped here now.

In leck/Hatherley we have had about 2cm covering everywhere,no problem sticking earlier.

Still a good covering here and surrounding area's.

Though in town its almost all gone with A fast thaw.

Posted

well it as sort of stopped here now.

In leck/Hatherley we have had about 2cm covering everywhere,no problem sticking earlier.

Still a good covering here and surrounding area's.

Though in town its almost all gone with A fast thaw.

Morning Pat, glad to hear you got a covering from this mate :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

I think for many people there wont be a lot more snow this winter, as Philip Eden has said, that winters that start before xmas have usually ended by Feb!! I tend to agree with that, in my experience this has often been the case, sorry to be doom and gloom but I think we all have to be realistic!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Just talked to a customer in South Cerney who reckons they are snowed into their factory?

I used to live near there!

Anyway, morning all! Poured with rain all night, was still raining on my way to work today, but nothing now. Certainly no snow down here or up at home (though I'm heading back in a bit to check!) :)

As for winters beginning before Christmas... don't ALL winters start on Dec 1st? So thats a bit mythical, we saw barely any snow prior to Xmas here, a thin covering the Tuesday before, so that doesn't count! :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I think for many people there wont be a lot more snow this winter, as Philip Eden has said, that winters that start before xmas have usually ended by Feb!! I tend to agree with that, in my experience this has often been the case, sorry to be doom and gloom but I think we all have to be realistic!!

I am begining to think the same, I was very surprised this morning when we had wet snow. I reckon we have seen the back of the big snow falls for this winter.

Posted

A right mixture in Warminster this morning, probably because the milder air is too close.

There was very heavy rain that woke me around 05.00 but by 07.00 it was sleeting lightly with the temperature at 3.1c though falling. Through the morning it dropped slowly to 2.1c and precipitation varied between light rain/sleet - heavy sleet/wet snow - large wet snowflakes - light sleet/wet snow before stopping altogether around 11.45. The snow started to settle on cars but didn't manage to stick properly.

Since then it's been damp and the temperature has risen to 2.9c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

After a bit of snow earlier it is now all rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

We still have a light covering of snow here, most of it has thawed though.

Posted

We still have a light covering of snow here, most of it has thawed though.

We had a light covering aswel but rain and sleet washed it away.

Posted

Up by the racecourse in Bath, there is still a light covering...

I expect most of it to be gone by tomorrow morning though, (unless the temperature starts dropping off soon)...

Was nice to see a bit more of the white stuff today, if fairly short-lived...

Any chances of some more next week?... Model Output thread says that things look to turn colder early next week... Just need the ppn!!!

Posted

Curious. Last winter, it snowed somewhere every month from November to March!!!

Posted

Bozo weather statement of the week.....from our regional TV weather forecaster....erm, i mean presenter....Bob 'Crapton' on HTV.

"Today we've got Snow here in Glos and sunny and mild in Cornwall - can you believe it?!" Well, yes, Bob we can - Cornwall is in the mild far south west by the sea and North Glos is inland, further north, with elevation (yes, i know Cornwall has Bodmin Moor!) - two quite different micro climates, esp in a winter like the one we are experiencing and with what actually happened as the system hit colder air in the north of our region.

Why do the TV co.s continue to employ such weather imbeciles...how are the general population meant to believe and educate themselves to at least a minimum degree of weather knowledge?

I despair!

Posted

Bozo weather statement of the week.....from our regional TV weather forecaster....erm, i mean presenter....Bob 'Crapton' on HTV.

"Today we've got Snow here in Glos and sunny and mild in Cornwall - can you believe it?!" Well, yes, Bob we can - Cornwall is in the mild far south west by the sea and North Glos is inland, further north, with elevation (yes, i know Cornwall has Bodmin Moor!) - two quite different micro climates, esp in a winter like the one we are experiencing and with what actually happened as the system hit colder air in the north of our region.

Why do the TV co.s continue to employ such weather imbeciles...how are the general population meant to believe and educate themselves to at least a minimum degree of weather knowledge?

I despair!

Cold and damp here. Although the sun did come out, and there was a fantastic double rainbow earlier.

Cornwall and to some extent SW Devon does have a much milder climate than areas inland, thanks to the gulf stream etc, but at the sametime, the north coast has some fantastic weather and storms.

The Isles of Scilly are positively tropical!

As for the words HTV and educate, not often you seem them in the same sentance whistling.gif:drinks:

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Well we still had a slight coverng on the lawn when I got home from work, I suspect it will be gone by the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Just got back from a cycle ride. I like this weather at the moment - life as normal at low levels, and snow-covered hills. An enjoyable transition from a green Cheltenham to a white Birdlip, where the snow is 1-2 inches deep.

It was surprising just how much colder it felt up on the Cotswolds compared to in town. The snow must keep the temperatures down.

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

Hating this weather... damp, grey, cold!

Roll on spring! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

Off to Taunton for the weekend with a load of mates, is there any snow left up on the hills nearby which would be worth me bringing some sledges down? Thanks in advance

Posted

Off to Taunton for the weekend with a load of mates, is there any snow left up on the hills nearby which would be worth me bringing some sledges down? Thanks in advance

I wouldn't have thought so. I don't think Somerset got much snow on Wednesday and it's been raining heavily most of the night in the SW anyway.

I'm not in Taunton, mind, but have just made an educated guess.

Have a nice weekend, anyway! :drinks:

Posted

Interesting outlook from Spotlight this morning, going for only maxes of 5C on Monday, and 'feeling colder again' next week with winds from the East. Obviously ignoring the GFS :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

looks cool for us next week but not much chance of snow from the east in our neck of the woods.

Last of the snow drifts and piles are melting fast today. blink.gif

Posted

Yup, the last snow pile up at home looked a little thin on the ground this morning. But held on in there!