Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Not to sure who's online around the Bristol area, but just looking out of the office window, and there's a excellent sunset - really nice red sky...

Anyway - where's this supposed snow meant to fall at the end of the week, is it Cornwall, Devon?? - Not to sure if it will get to Bristol/Frome??

All the best

Amazing sunset :drinks: and temp already down to -1.6C

Posted

The sea was still cold, even with full wetsuits. But hell, that doesn't change whichever month we are in.

Yeah, know that feeling. Still in a shorty in August, just about manage board shorts in late September!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Yeah, know that feeling. Still in a shorty in August, just about manage board shorts in late September!

Crazy isn't it!

Bit like tennis when its -4c according to the car! Damn that was cold.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Snow? No snow? I am hoping to go to Barcelona this weekend, I don't want to book a flight which will only get cancelled. Flipping weather!

It does seem to be getting colder though and it's my playground duty today, I feel your pain Missy. :crazy:

Thank you dancing daisy ,it wasn't pleasant today I can tell you ,but I was prepared.

Temp is -2.1c .Must get some sleep ,I'll need to be up earlier to sort out the windscreen in the morning.Oh my now -2.6c.

Edited by littlemissy

Posted

Almost time to get the NAE charts out again, along with Ians updates on blog or here.

The wind direction looks very promising for areas west of and including dorset/somserset. Should be a very interesting weekend, particularly for Devon and Somerset which funnels the showers down the levels.

Posted

Good god it's cold! and it's not going to get any warmer today is it. sad.gif

This weather forecast was brought to you by a cold person in Somerset.

Don't worry, I have no intention of giving up my day job.

So it looks as if Somerset is going to get the snow this time around then, it would seem that my weekend plans will involve lots of messing about on the internet then. cray.gif

Edit>I should probably watch weather forecasts before going into snowbound tantrums in future. Ian F doesn't appear that confident about the snow and his interpretation of weather gubbins hasn't been wrong for my area as yet, woo hoo! smile.gif

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

chilly morning here with an over night low of -5.2c the outlook still does not look anything but average at the moment with our cold snowy spell thur/friday down graded to nothing but rain again. wallbash.gif

Posted

Cold, dark and did I mention cold? Well if this was the mild day, god help us.

Anyway, -5.9C over night, and don't I know it, playing tennis n all. Roads nice and icy this morning.

Spotlight going for snow from Friday and over the weekend for Devon, so can't complain there, doubt it'll be much, but good to see none the less.

Posted

Cold, dark and did I mention cold? Well if this was the mild day, god help us.

Anyway, -5.9C over night, and don't I know it, playing tennis n all. Roads nice and icy this morning.

Spotlight going for snow from Friday and over the weekend for Devon, so can't complain there, doubt it'll be much, but good to see none the less.

Not Torquay though Matt, i'd guess!laugh.gif

Coming down tom for a long weekend. Hoping that by time i get back to BTL on Sunday we'll get some snow.

Posted

Good forecast from Ian on points west however not all that exciting for us with hardly any chance of snow in our region. wallbash.gifcray.gif

"Much as expected, the latest Met Office modelling continues to suggest a minimal risk of any snow for the West Country from Thursday overnight into Friday"

Posted

Good forecast from Ian on points west however not all that exciting for us with hardly any chance of snow in our region. wallbash.gifcray.gif

"Much as expected, the latest Met Office modelling continues to suggest a minimal risk of any snow for the West Country from Thursday overnight into Friday"

To be fair M, that Thurs/Fri event was consigned to the dustbin for over a day now - it hasn't really been on. Maybe a few days ago it was looking a possibility.

Sunday afternoon/eve looks more interesting and if wedo get a cold northerly for a few days it could be quite unstable, with snow potential.

Posted

To be fair M, that Thurs/Fri event was consigned to the dustbin for over a day now - it hasn't really been on. Maybe a few days ago it was looking a possibility.

Sunday afternoon/eve looks more interesting and if wedo get a cold northerly for a few days it could be quite unstable, with snow potential.

Yes your quite right there is reason to be hopeful I am just still a little frustrated after missing the best of our winter so far and got mildly excited when i first looked at that chance hence my moaning wacko.gif

Does look a little like the fun will be more towards corn/devon unless we get a small trough in the northerly flow, problem is we never really see much from north and so often you watch the radar all day as big hefty showers just die over south wales as mountains suck all the energy out of them. mad.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Looks like another cold spell is on the horizon, hopefully this time next week this place will be buzzing with excitement.

We still have a chance of snow for our area on Sunday too.

Posted

Another colder day than the actual temp was suggesting, (which was 4C) and a definate chill in the air from the increasingly northerly wind.

I think I'm in Bath this weekend, which will just about figure if it snows down here! Although Sunday looks the best day.

Posted

Hi, peeps! I was thinking just now......when did we last have an onslaught from the SW that brought mild and wet weather? I cannot recall. We are most definitely having a different kind of Winter, aren't we? Our weather seems to have been coming just from the East and North. Even if we don't see much snow over the next few days, at least February seems to hold good prospects.

Definitely a different kind of Winter. Bearing in mind also the lovely snow we had in February last year and the two non-hot Summers that we have had, is this some kind of a turning point towards a cooler climate for us?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

PS I went to Wickes builders merchants yesterday to get some rocksalt. They are the only people around here who seem to stock it. Needless to say, they were out of stock. Even the local supermarket is low on table salt, with a notice up saying supplies are short due to the bad weather. I bought a couple of packs, kindly leaving some for other folk :lol: , but I need something to help me off the road and onto my drive....tight turn, on a corner, steep slope.

I heard that cat litter is good, but very messy (no jokes please :lol: ). A few people here used it and the mess is dreadful. Just thought I'd mention it! :lol:

Edited by noggin

Posted

If we see a series of cold winters over the NH and even more importantly cool summers, we will see the Arctic ice slip south over the coming years.

It is, interestingly, the cooler summers and not necessarily the colder winters that cause ice ages... whistling.gif

Posted

If we see a series of cold winters over the NH and even more importantly cool summers, we will see the Arctic ice slip south over the coming years.

It is, interestingly, the cooler summers and not necessarily the colder winters that cause ice ages... whistling.gif

just to get off this topic for a minute ive just logged in to ask opinions on what could be coming up in the 2nd wek in feb looks bitterley cold with a very intense HP building and slipping westwards from scandi any thoughts on this possible event?? cheers

Posted

just to get off this topic for a minute ive just logged in to ask opinions on what could be coming up in the 2nd wek in feb looks bitterley cold with a very intense HP building and slipping westwards from scandi any thoughts on this possible event?? cheers

Thought? Well 2nd week in Feb is a long way off but as everone points out this is emerging as more like our winters of old. Contrary to popular legend they were not all continuously cold (only the very rare ones) and SW still missed much of the snow. However, as we are influenced by Sea Temps and as these continue to fall until late Feb, the chance of snow here tends always to be strongest in Feb or even March.

I would not like to bet on the second week but would think there are still strong odds for the second or third week in Feb.

This is not science or a trend in the charts so far out, merely what we might have seen 20 to 30 years ago. Over the past 20 years in Dorset we have had more settled snow in Feb onwards than before Feb. In one memorable year (forget which one, about 6 years ago) we were swimming in the sea and sunbathing in March and two weeks later having snowball fights!

Edited by egret

Posted

Thought? Well 2nd week in Feb is a long way off but as everone points out this is emerging as more like our winters of old. Contrary to popular legend they were not all continuously cold (only the very rare ones) and SW still missed much of the snow. However, as we are influenced by Sea Temps and as these continue to fall until late Feb, the chance of snow here tends always to be strongest in Feb or even March.

I would not like to bet on the second week but would think there are still strong odds for the second or third week in Feb.

This is not science or a trend in the charts so far out, merely what we might have seen 20 to 30 years ago. Over the past 20 years in Dorset we have had more settled snow in Feb onwards than before Feb. In one memorable year (forget which one, about 6 years ago) we were swimming in the sea and sunbathing in March and two weeks later having snowball fights!

all sounds like fun to me and i have to say over the past 3-4 days the models seem to be sticking to this theme and like you said feb is usually our money month just like it was last year so lets drink to that :shok::blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

BBC local forecast does my head in, completely different from the nationl forecast.

National say's snow for Sunday, local say's not. But she did talk about rain next weekcc_confused.gifnonono.gif

Posted

It is my daughters birthday at the beginning of March and there hasn't been many years where there hasn't been a snow flurry at some point.

All of this cold/mild/rainy/cold/snow weather is playing havoc with peoples immune systems, lots of people are ill at work with one thing or another, and I cancelled my weekend plans because of the bl**dy supposed snow. I will forgive all though for a fabulous spring and summer. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

It is my daughters birthday at the beginning of March and there hasn't been many years where there hasn't been a snow flurry at some point.

All of this cold/mild/rainy/cold/snow weather is playing havoc with peoples immune systems, lots of people are ill at work with one thing or another, and I cancelled my weekend plans because of the bl**dy supposed snow. I will forgive all though for a fabulous spring and summer. smile.gif

Hi , i think you may be a little hasty there cancelling your plans , you may get snow showers yes , or even more , but i highly doubt it would be disruptive enough so you cant do anything ! I hope im wrong for you tho , but i doubt it .rolleyes.gif

Posted

I doubt the west country will see any snowcover or even snowshowers for most from this "arctic" blast over the next few days with rain and slightly milder conditions by monday/tuesday. closedeyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

We have the most amazing dark cloud zooming by overhead! Just wondering if it will pour down, we need to put the lights on!!!

Just a few specs from it!!!

Edited by textmum