Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I am sure they are given info from the MetO, so not strictly her fault. :)

Countryfile main forecast gave us snow though...unsure.gif

yes correct,there might be a chance for the West country for snow Thursday..

And a gradual cooling down towards next week

Posted

Looking around the other chit chattings on this site, this coming week has been predicted to be;

mild

cold

bitter East wind

bitter Northerly wind

wet

dry

dull

sunny

Now, that is covering every base is it not? yahoo.gif

My local forecast changes so often I might as well not watch and get excited/depressed each time. The time has come, as the walrus said, to wait and see what awaits behind the curtains........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Was the local forecast from ITV? :pardon:

Going by the latest runs (12zs).. the UKMO and ECM are a peach for the SW with the GFS having things a little further East, but as we know, it usually does and things will be further west in reality.

Posted

The BBC Points West forecast at lunchtime (Richard Angwin forecasting) showed snow for Friday morning and afternoon! And he is one to not ramp up snow so going to be vital viewing of his forecasts all week as well as Ian Fergusson's on Breakfast tv.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So far I don'y think it looks that great for central western areas and bristol although corn/devon always seem to do fairly well from north/northwest. wallbash.gif

Plenty of time yet but from my experience it tends to just be cold and frosty in these setups with chance of transient snow in breakdowns dry.gif

Posted

The BBC Points West forecast at lunchtime (Richard Angwin forecasting) showed snow for Friday morning and afternoon! And he is one to not ramp up snow so going to be vital viewing of his forecasts all week as well as Ian Fergusson's on Breakfast tv.

Yes Angwin saying it might be a problem for our areas come Friday

Posted

So far I don'y think it looks that great for central western areas and bristol although corn/devon always seem to do fairly well from north/northwest. wallbash.gif

Plenty of time yet but from my experience it tends to just be cold and frosty in these setups with chance of transient snow in breakdowns dry.gif

Angers reasonably bullish for snow on Fri morn in the West. Typical, i'm in the English Riviera (torquay) from Thursday for a long weekend with the wife - wallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Certainly cooling down from Thursday onwards, infact Richard's forecast had daytime temps all week not above 4c. Thought there was a milder day Wednesday?

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

whatever the temp was today ,from lunchtime onwards it was blooming chilly on the playground.My hands were very cold(I'll make sure the gloves are in my bag tomorrow).

Showing -0.7 c atm.I'm not in the mood for snow.Give me time to remember being snug and warm by my wood burner when it last snowed though and I just might be! lol.

Edited by littlemissy

Posted

Yeah, was very dark and cold in Exeter today to.

Showing -0.9C at the moment with DP -2C

Posted

Snow? No snow? I am hoping to go to Barcelona this weekend, I don't want to book a flight which will only get cancelled. Flipping weather!

It does seem to be getting colder though and it's my playground duty today, I feel your pain Missy. :cold:

Posted

Snow? No snow? I am hoping to go to Barcelona this weekend, I don't want to book a flight which will only get cancelled. Flipping weather!

It does seem to be getting colder though and it's my playground duty today, I feel your pain Missy. :cold:

heavy snow forecast for Thursday night into Friday

Posted

I can't see inland areas getting much snow from a northerly, Scotland aside, east coast and west coast will get some showers. Assuming it doesn't all get shunted east and the big let down ensues.

Besides, planes take off in all sorts of weather these days. (Including some instances when they probably shouldn't)

Temp last night was -3.9C which led to a nice sheet of ice on the road where there is water run-off from the fields. Currently -0.9C. Winter is back!

Even the 'mild' day tomorrow is only looking to be 6-7C max in the SW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Chilly day today & a chance of a few light snow showers towards the weekend.

The charts at the mo a looking good for a continuation of cold weather into next month toodrinks.gif

Posted

noticeably lower daytime temps here tdy with slight sunshine and decreasing cloud cover, dont u just love the calm before the impending storm!!! does anyone have any estimations ?for the levels of precipitation from late thurs -thru fri ?

Posted

GFS 12z pushes it a little further west again (no suprise there) but its too early to be guessing PPN amounts, best bet is to wait for the NAE.

Posted

I can't see inland areas getting much snow from a northerly, Scotland aside, east coast and west coast will get some showers. Assuming it doesn't all get shunted east and the big let down ensues.

Besides, planes take off in all sorts of weather these days. (Including some instances when they probably shouldn't)

Temp last night was -3.9C which led to a nice sheet of ice on the road where there is water run-off from the fields. Currently -0.9C. Winter is back!

Even the 'mild' day tomorrow is only looking to be 6-7C max in the SW

That's what scares me! I am not great at flying as it is.

Ahh well, probably better to put it off for a few weeks then, travelling to Bristol airport may be the issue,(it is only 40 minutes up the road, but snowy/icy/slushy will not be fun to drive in) rather than the flight itself. sad.gif

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted

That's what scares me! I am not great at flying as it is.

Ahh well, probably better to put it off for a few weeks then, travelling to Bristol airport may be the issue,(it is only 40 minutes up the road, but snowy/icy/slushy will not be fun to drive in) rather than the flight itself. sad.gif

The flight would be fine. Planes are quite able to take off and land on snow and ice. (As I found out to my suprise in Finland) I'm not convinced the west inland will see much snow out of this N'erly.

You should take some flights over South East Asia, that'll kill or cure ya wink.gif

Edit: removed the n't from the are... error :)

GFS snow depth (which I know is a little error prone itself) goes for snow no further East than Exeter in a line NW clipping SW Wales over the weekend and into next week. Devon and Cornwall does quite well.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

The flight would be fine. Planes aren't quite able to take off and land on snow and ice. (As I found out to my suprise in Finland) I'm not convinced the west inland will see much snow out of this N'erly.

You should take some flights over South East Asia, that'll kill or cure ya wink.gif

Oh lordy, No!

I am that freak of a woman who sits on the plane, staring forward only and muttering under her breath, 'I am on a bus, I am on a bus...' 1/2 dozen Kalms and 1/2 a bottle of whisky is enough to get me on the plane though nowadays, so a result in my world. biggrin.gif

I don't let it stop me travelling, I love travelling, but after one horrific flight back from Greece where I was utterly convinced I was about to die which caused me to jump on strangers laps crying and praying, flying has become an issue for me.

So snow = a no way for me now.

I haven't seen a forecast today, are we definitely getting it in Somerset?

Just seen your edit...yeah thanks for that error! shok.gifrofl.gif

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted

Oh lordy, No!

I am that freak of a woman who sits on the plane, staring forward only and muttering under her breath, 'I am on a bus, I am on a bus...' 1/2 dozen Kalms and 1/2 a bottle of whisky is enough to get me on the plane though nowadays, so a result in my world. biggrin.gif

I don't let it stop me travelling, I love travelling, but after one horrific flight back from Greece where I was utterly convinced I was about to die which caused me to jump on strangers laps crying and praying, flying has become an issue for me.

So snow = a no way for me now.

I haven't seen a forecast today, are we definitely getting it in Somerset?

I've not seen any forecasts today either, but the radio this morning was going for snow showers over the weekend for Devon.

I did have an issue flying into Bangkok from Sydney, coming in between two towering thunder storms where they refused to serve drinks after the meal! :)

I've stopped drinking in the week in preparation for my Annapurna trek. Can't see it lasting once BBQ season hits, but the will was there :)

Posted

I've not seen any forecasts today either, but the radio this morning was going for snow showers over the weekend for Devon.

I did have an issue flying into Bangkok from Sydney, coming in between two towering thunder storms where they refused to serve drinks after the meal! wink.gif

I've stopped drinking in the week in preparation for my Annapurna trek. Can't see it lasting once BBQ season hits, but the will was there laugh.gif

No drinks after the meal!!!! Shocking behaviour. :aggressive:

Good luck with the trek and not drinking on a school night. It gets easier after the first 8 months or so...

Oh how I long for BBQ season, beer gardens, parties, flip flops and warm sunshine.

When is your trek planned for?

Posted

No drinks after the meal!!!! Shocking behaviour. tease.gif

Good luck with the trek and not drinking on a school night. It gets easier after the first 8 months or so...

Oh how I long for BBQ season, beer gardens, parties, flip flops and warm sunshine.

When is your trek planned for?

Not til November! haha!

Tell me about it! Now the snow has been and gone, I keep forgetting its only January! So 2-3 months before its going to be even remotely warm enough.

Think we managed a weekend camping on the 2nd of April last year, and that was alright in the day (out of the wind) but the evenings... well not warm enough to stay outside... shame :aggressive:

The sea was still cold, even with full wetsuits. But hell, that doesn't change whichever month we are in.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

I find posts about inland snow during Northerlies being rare in this region quite strange because there have been a number if occasions that troughs/cold fronts have bought several inches of snow - I can recall 4 or 5 in the last 5 or 6 years. And there was also 28 Feb 2007 (my birthday) which brought a few hours of heavy snow showers and 3 inches that lasted a long time on the ground.

To my eye the situation on Thursday night/Friday is somewhat different to the above with a small LOW/fronts slipping SSE with the cold air in place.

(Oh my :aggressive: an ice cream van just pulled up in my street with frost forming at dusk!)

Posted

Not to sure who's online around the Bristol area, but just looking out of the office window, and there's a excellent sunset - really nice red sky...

Anyway - where's this supposed snow meant to fall at the end of the week, is it Cornwall, Devon?? - Not to sure if it will get to Bristol/Frome??

All the best