Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hi there,

A little while ago, a poster, Snowstorm1/Michael, asked about community radio stations based further south, where he might be able to get practice weather presenting. I've just seen this link for Bishop FM, a community radio station based in South West Durham.

http://www.bishopfm.com/

http://twitter.com/bishopfm

It could be worth getting in touch with them and asking if you could do a stint as an in-house weather forecaster. As I mentioned in a previous post, Lionheart FM in Northumberland have a teenage weather presenter too!

Good luck

P.S. Fingers crossed for Monday :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

The GFS ensembles look fairly good for ppn amounts Sunday/Monday. There's quite a few members suggesting far more ppn than the control run shows so hopefully this will come through on the 12z.

Got a good feeling that places with a bit altitude could do really well from this, but I really hope all levels get some.

Good to see you on here again Hannah, finally we have something to look forward to after weeks of pretty much nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Heavy snow here for a good while now, starting to settle as well. There is a problem with the radar though so this precipitation isn't shown, the shower disappeared on the radar after 11:30.

Posted

Snowing quite heavily again but unlike yesterday its not sticking sadly. About 80% of my snowcover i had yesterday is gone now although there is still a bit on the grass but if anything, this snowfall is probably helping the thaw again.

Hopefully these showers can continue during the early evening time and we might get a slight covering at least.

Posted

Snow just stopped 2 minutes ago and the dusting I had is melting very rapidly already :lol:

Posted

:lol:

Hi there,

A little while ago, a poster, Snowstorm1/Michael, asked about community radio stations based further south, where he might be able to get practice weather presenting. I've just seen this link for Bishop FM, a community radio station based in South West Durham.

http://www.bishopfm.com/

http://twitter.com/bishopfm

It could be worth getting in touch with them and asking if you could do a stint as an in-house weather forecaster. As I mentioned in a previous post, Lionheart FM in Northumberland have a teenage weather presenter too!

Good luck

P.S. Fingers crossed for Monday :)

Hannah,

Hi, I haven't had a chance to see any Beeb forecasts today, what are they saying about snow chances this afternoon/tonight for Tyne and Wear?

Getting very dark here in Ryton now, has been for about 3 hrs now, looking quite threatening. Seems like it's been snowing further up in town, radar knackered atm so can't tell.

Much appreciated,

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Neil Bradshaw has a temp of 1.9 and dewpoint of -0.2:

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk/Today%27s_weather.htm

That's probably why the snow isn't sticking around and is if anything helping to melt any existing snow cover.

This is my favourite link for general rules of thumb regarding snow at a given temperature:

http://www.sciencebits.com/SnowAboveFreezing

I particularly took note of these posts:

This is interesting.

I read somewhere that a much simpler 'rule of thumb' would be to take the average between the air temperature and the dew point. It will snow even if the air temperature is above freezing as long as that average is at freezing or below.

Any comments on this?

This rule of thumb roughly traces the red line in the above graph, but not exactly. So it is in fact a very useful rule of thumb when you don't have a calculator to calculate the "frozen bulb" temperature. Good to know.

The average between the air temperature and dew point is a rough approximation of wet bulb temperature, which lies between these two temperatures.

Posted

I went for a drive from Ponteland(it was snowing slightly but no accumulation) to Belsay (about 7 miles North West) and it was all covered in a light fall of snow (probably fell last night) it was a real Christmas card scene-I will post a picture later.

Posted

Getting a little peeved off with this cold snap now, it seems to have a biased against me.

Yesterdays snowfall didn't hit us, we got a wintry mix that didn't like the idea of sticking around.

Today we got lots of snow, I went with the dog between one and two and loved walking through the snow, it was easily have resulted in an inch of snow covering but decided that it didn't want too stick on the floor.

I like snow but I like it even better when it sticks, maybe I'm just in a bad mood it was a lovely fall especially when I was under the subway.

Also while were on the topic of community radio stations, does anybody here no anything about how long it should take Radio Sunderland for Hospitals(Monkwearmouth or Monksworth sure its first) to get back int touch sent the email a couple of weeks ago to see if they take under 16s and had no reply yet.

PS. I live in Washington.(if you trying to find me through looking for the subway don't bother we've got hundreds)

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

What do you people think of my chances for tonight?

Local areas affectedWarning typeValid fromValid toNorth East England: Darlington Durham Hartlepool Middlesbrough Northumberland Redcar + Cleveland Stockton-on-Tees Tyne + WearWidespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow1825 Fri 191000 Sat 20Sleet and snow showers are likely to continue this evening and overnight, particularly affecting coastal locations in parts of northeast England. Accumulations of 3 to 6cm of snow are possible in places. This will lead to ice developing on untreated surfaces in many areas.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1621 Fri 19 Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

What do you people think of my chances for tonight?

Local areas affectedWarning typeValid fromValid toNorth East England: Darlington Durham Hartlepool Middlesbrough Northumberland Redcar + Cleveland Stockton-on-Tees Tyne + WearWidespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow1825 Fri 191000 Sat 20Sleet and snow showers are likely to continue this evening and overnight, particularly affecting coastal locations in parts of northeast England. Accumulations of 3 to 6cm of snow are possible in places. This will lead to ice developing on untreated surfaces in many areas.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1621 Fri 19 Feb

There should be showers around your area, best thing in this situation is just watch the radar and the skies. Hopefully we'll all catch some and get a covering by morning :lol:

Showers should be slow moving too so if there are any decent size showers one could drop a few cms.

The 12z GFS brings the snow on Sunday forward quite a bit, to 9am! Not such a large area of ppn either on this run. Monday looks pretty dry on this one too so looks like a downgrade. Hopefully we can get back to something like the 06z showed or else accumulations could be quite limited. Still more interesting that what we've had lately though.

Posted

Light snow again here, the GFS looks just as good for tomorrow as it did that Friday night a few weeks ago, so who knows what could end up happening.

Posted

Light snow again here, the GFS looks just as good for tomorrow as it did that Friday night a few weeks ago, so who knows what could end up happening.

Where? very little precipitation about, it looks cold/cool and dry to me :(

Posted

Where? very little precipitation about, it looks cold/cool and dry to me cc_confused.gif

Look on the radar mate the is some very intense precip heading for us :(

Posted

Where? very little precipitation about, it looks cold/cool and dry to me :(

I said just as good - that isn't to say I mean good, on Friday 29th January the GFS didn't look very good with the snow staying out at sea, but 2-6 inches (5-15cm) fell around Tyne and Wear and Northumberland in particular overnight.

The radar looks decent with snow moving into Northumberland, the further north you are the better as you stand a chance of catching the showers before they die out, by the time they get as far south as Durham I expect they'll be diminishing.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Moderate 'hypno' snow here not settling on the pavements yet but settling on the grass quite readily. Can see a pretty decent covering by morning as snowfall is forecast to intensify later.

Posted

I said just as good - that isn't to say I mean good, on Friday 29th January the GFS didn't look very good with the snow staying out at sea, but 2-6 inches (5-15cm) fell around Tyne and Wear and Northumberland in particular overnight.

The radar looks decent with snow moving into Northumberland, the further north you are the better as you stand a chance of catching the showers before they die out, by the time they get as far south as Durham I expect they'll be diminishing.

As normal best is north in the region lol :( hopefully ill get a covering tonight them showers look tasty to say the least:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

As normal best is north in the region lol tongue.gif hopefully ill get a covering tonight them showers look tasty to say the least:)

Looks like them showers coming down the east coast are intensifiying slightly aswell as becoming a little more widespread,could be a icey again in redcar,hopefully we might get a few cms overnightdrinks.gif

Posted

Moderate 'hypno' snow here not settling on the pavements yet but settling on the grass quite readily. Can see a pretty decent covering by morning as snowfall is forecast to intensify later.

What do you think the chances are for further down the coast mate, I ve been watching those showers for a while.

Posted

Light snow flurries here, despite the snow being very light I have a sugar dusting already so clearly whatever snow falls now will settle. :)

Btw I've just looked at the radar and anywhere within 10 miles of the coast should see a quick snow event this evening, and by that I mean 2-3cm widely with a few spots getting 4-5cm.

Large flakes are falling here now, and the sugar dusting is quickly becoming a proper covering :wallbash:

Yet another edit: I spoke too soon, just the odd flake in the wind now, the snow has melted from the road / pavements already, still a light dusting on the grass, wall, car and a few other places though.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Its been intermittent light to moderate snow here for the last 2 hours. The temp has fallen from 0.9c to now -0.2c. The radar is looking promising with snow moving down the east coast from the North. I think some areas could see 2-5cm of snow cover from this......

Capture.jpg

Posted

Its been intermittent light to moderate snow here for the last 2 hours. The temp has fallen from 0.9c to now -0.2c. The radar is looking promising with snow moving down the east coast from the North. I think some areas could see 2-5cm of snow cover from this......

Capture.jpg

Yeah but anyone who has the Netweather radar would be able to see that there is a gap heading for Tyneside. Newcastle might just about scrape a heavy shower which is heading to the west of the city, apart from the eastern end of Tyneside most places look like getting some snow soon. Even here there could be some a bit later on as more showers are developing just off the coast.

Posted

Any snow going to reach here? if so how long till they hit me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Yeah but anyone who has the Netweather radar would be able to see that there is a gap heading for Tyneside. Newcastle might just about scrape a heavy shower which is heading to the west of the city, apart from the eastern end of Tyneside most places look like getting some snow soon. Even here there could be some a bit later on as more showers are developing just off the coast.

That is what i have shown on the picture, but the shower direction is being driven by the LP in the N.Sea. As the centre is relatively close the true shower direction will be curved and not follow a straight path.