Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I was down in Jarrow last night and there was a dusting this morning. Got up to Consett and there's nothing around this area, just some frost.

Hopefully next week can delivery it's getting a bit boring now!

Posted

For such an localised event judging by the radar, this snowfall is heavier than i expected. A nice covering on all surfaces at the moment, long may it continue. :(

I wonder if the lack of posts got to do with people staying up all night and missing all the fun we have at the moment or is it because its so localised that most people won't know what the fuss is about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Now this is unfair - look at how close that snow is! Hard frost here, but only the odd flake falling, and certainly nothing to show for it. That shower isn't moving anywhere fast, either. :p

Having said that, if you run the radar sequence through the shower is moving in a NW direction so I might just about get a dusting from it. The snow flakes are certainly getting more frequent here, about 10 every minute now.

Edit: proper snizzle now :lol:

post-9381-12664867540717_thumb.png

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Perhaps the lack of posts is due to the fact that the snowfall aint spectacular, infact its pretty dire..!! Had a slight covering here but its all but melted now, just looks cold and wet... roll on spring had enough of this cold now... I could be waiting a long time going by the latest model projections....Anyways my bad cold is getting the better of me had a crap nights sleep so i think i'll curl up on the settee with my duvet and a few cups of hot coffee..

Posted

Flippen heck, it is localised then!!! Because i got a good covering(yes it is a covering and not a dusting) here whilst parts of Gosforth and Shields have seen very little by the looks of it.

The snowfall at times was heavy with very large flakes although intensity has dropped quite a bit now and has done for the last 5 mins but its been snowing for a good hour now.

I'll go and measure it once the snow has fully stopped but i would say there is around 2CM although i'm not certain. Not bad considering that all i was expecting is a dusting.

Posted

Proper light snow now, and becoming moderate :D Settling already :D Look what happens when I look at the radar and complain!

Moderate - heavy snow now, the only reason I wouldn't just say heavy is that the flakes are quite small.

Edited by alza

Posted

Glad some here are happy but bored as hell the last month or so.The models keep showing all the action to our South yet again. The good start to the winter has drifted into bland non description weather.

Posted

I'm surprised at the intensity of this snow, the flakes are getting bigger now. Still only a dusting so far though.

Edited by alza

Posted

I'm surprised at the intensity of this snow, the flakes are getting bigger now. Still only a dusting so far though.

I was also surprised how quick and thick it came down here at times, very nice too see with no wind blowing it all around either so all landed on the ground.

Intensity has dropped off further with smaller flakes now but i'm certainly not dissapointed, just dissapointed how localised it is.

Posted

The new V5 radar shows just how localized this snowfall was/is.. from Hebburn/Heworth to the centre of Newcastle about 8mile east to west by 20 mile north to south and moving very slowly in a NW direction. Just very light sleet with the odd snowflake here on the coast. Best make the most of it GS and Alza as it looks to be decaying now. I would like to know how long it stays on the ground as the slight dusting i had melted very quickly, but then again being right on the coast temps are a shade higher than a few miles inland.

Posted

Still snowing here NL and the intensity has increased slightly but i think it will stop soon but it certainly lasted longer than i thought it would of and i got more snow than i expected(2.5CM in total which is not alot but when looking at the radar, you would not of thought 2.5CM of snow would of fell)

Anyways, got a pic from my phone(so not good quality) of the (surprised) snowfall we had this morning, taken around an hour ago.

post-6407-12664903181017_thumb.jpg

Posted

Still snowing here NL and the intensity has increased slightly but i think it will stop soon but it certainly lasted longer than i thought it would of and i got more snow than i expected(2.5CM in total which is not alot but when looking at the radar, you would not of thought 2.5CM of snow would of fell)

Anyways, got a pic from my phone(so not good quality) of the (surprised) snowfall we had this morning, taken around an hour ago.

post-6407-12664903181017_thumb.jpg

I'm impressed there Geordie..!!!:)

I'm only about 7 mile from you and not a bit of white stuff around must be the most localized snow event ive ever witnessed. Although it is now weakening its still hovering around the same place, not suprising you had over 2cm.!

Posted

I'm impressed there Geordie..!!!:yahoo:

I'm only about 7 mile from you and not a bit of white stuff around must be the most localized snow event ive ever witnessed. Although it is now weakening its still hovering around the same place, not suprising you had over 2cm.!

Thanks NL. :) I must admit, i'm shocked at how localised it was and how small it looked on the radar but yet it delivered in fine style around here and the intensity was certainly much greater than the Met Office radar suggests although more zoomed in radars like the one you used showed the heavier pulses.

Snow has stopped now and the thaw is underway, dripping snow off the trees now. I wonder if most of it can stay on the ground/grass for the whole day, i hope so.

Bit depressing this could be our only snowfall of this cold snap whilst those down south are in line for quite a few snowfall events. Hopefully, some more snow will hit our area soon and give us all a dumping.

Posted

Thanks NL. :lol: I must admit, i'm shocked at how localised it was and how small it looked on the radar but yet it delivered in fine style around here and the intensity was certainly much greater than the Met Office radar suggests although more zoomed in radars like the one you used showed the heavier pulses.

Snow has stopped now and the thaw is underway, dripping snow off the trees now. I wonder if most of it can stay on the ground/grass for the whole day, i hope so.

Bit depressing this could be our only snowfall of this cold snap whilst those down south are in line for quite a few snowfall events. Hopefully, some more snow will hit our area soon and give us all a dumping.

Some of the projected snow events for next week could easily hit us, for example South Yorkshire southwards would get a pasting if the 6z came off, and it wouldn't take much for everything to move northwards slightly. I wouldn't bet on it, nor against it.

Posted

nice little covering of snow this morning, being as lazy as i am during half term i only caught the end of the snowfall as i had a lie in haha. all signs of the snow have melted now though, i would say we had 1-2cm before the melt started.

would be really dissapointing not to get at least another decent covering during the next few days, i think as the low pressure system that tracks to the south of england travels north up the north sea we could get a decent snowfall as illustrated well by the GFS 12z

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100218/12/30/prectypeuktopo.png

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100218/12/30/h850t850eu.png

infact i would hedge my bets as a bit more than what that chart shows if the low decides to shift west a touch on its journey.

monday also looks interesting via the met office forecast, and this day has sprung up a few times now on the GFS for the north east :D.

Posted

Didf you say that the snow hit heworth, I'm used to live there if only i hadn't moved. Apparently we got a few flakes I but its half term so I was asleep. Anything on its way for washington tommorow or blaydon on Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Currently raining :) (N) Will this turn to snow? :)

Posted

Currently raining ohmy.gif (N) Will this turn to snow? biggrin.gif

Started of as rain here and turned to sleet, only light though.

Posted

Nice to see someone got some decent snow in the region today,and on quite low ground as well.:)

Nothing more than a few flakes here today,although it is snowing now but i would class it as super-light snow.:)

Seems to be some heavy cold air over the region at the moment,the sort that will take quite a bit of shifting.

Posted

Its snowing fairly heavily here in sunderland and lying

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Just looked at the 18z and it's great to see a chance of heavy snow on Sunday and maybe Monday. If that run came off places further south like the southern Pennines would get an absolute pasting Sunday and Monday, but still some for us further north. Hopefully that persistent stuff can shift north a little in the next few runs, or maybe I'm asking for too much.

Posted

Very fine dusting here overnight. Radar showing showers spreading down the coast, due to hit Tyne and Wear about 9.30. Wont amount to much but is always nice to see it falling eh?

Monday and beyond looking interesting, hmmmmm.

Karl

Posted

Snowing very lightly here on the coast, although the radar aint showing any ppn in the near vicinity (15min lag). If those showers hold together currently over North Northumberland a decent snowfall will occur along the coast.