Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Wintry showers(rain/sleet/hail showers) will probably happen tonight but there could be a risk of the showers having more of a snowy flavour to them tomorrow.

I can fairly safely say that there won't be much snow around this week sadly but i would not mind being wrong on that one. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Wintry showers(rain/sleet/hail showers) will probably happen tonight but there could be a risk of the showers having more of a snowy flavour to them tomorrow.

I can fairly safely say that there won't be much snow around this week sadly but i would not mind being wrong on that one. rolleyes.gif

Hopefully we can have a 1-3cm covering on the ground tommorrow or at least a dusting widely drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Just had a heavy shower here which started as hail and turned to snow, left a covering everywhere very quickly. I was driving home and within about 200m I went from nothing, clear black roads to heavy hail and a white covering everywhere.

Hope we get at least a covering this week. I've got Wednesday and Thursday off work which were looking very good but not so much now.

Posted

Hopefully we can have a 1-3cm covering on the ground tommorrow or at least a dusting widely drinks.gif

I think most places will have a dusting come morning, I'm surprised by the reports of sleet, this morning we had 0.5c of snow cover. The drizzle which we had all night turned to snow at around 3am and lasted for a good 5 hours.

Posted

Just had a heavy shower here which started as hail and turned to snow, left a covering everywhere very quickly. I was driving home and within about 200m I went from nothing, clear black roads to heavy hail and a white covering everywhere.

Hope we get at least a covering this week. I've got Wednesday and Thursday off work which were looking very good but not so much now.

Yes,that was a decent shower which has left a very light covering.

A mix of hail sleet and snow in the showers so far.If we can get some slightly lower dewpoints it would help.

edit: just checked and the air temp is 0.3 with a dewpoint of -0.1 so not bad really!

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

Another decent hail/snow shower passing through at the minute.

Seems to be more activity on the radar as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

A decent shower seems to be heading right for Newcastle. The problem is its still 2c, so likely will be sleet and may turn to snow if its heavy enough. Inland should do ok though....

Posted

A decent shower seems to be heading right for Newcastle. The problem is its still 2c, so likely will be sleet and may turn to snow if its heavy enough. Inland should do ok though....

sleet here with the odd snow flake mixed in, nothing to write home about.

Posted

woke up to a good covering here.looks like another one rolling in now.

It's here now, bleeching down as you would say!

Minor roads around Stanley are really bad this morning. On one road even going 5mph cars were sliding into the curb.

This is going better than I expected so far.

Posted

It's here now, bleaching down as you would say!

Minor roads around Stanley are really bad this morning. On one road even going 5mph cars were sliding into the curb.

This is going better than I expected so far.

hi Mark,i think we are in with a good shout for snow off the sea today.

there has been a lot of doom and gloom on the model thread of late.as always we just have to wait and see what happens at the time.

too many people take the model predictions as gospel.

Edited by peterf

Posted

some real heavy snow at times,sticking to everything except the roads now.outdoor temp is up and down like a yoyo with each snow cell.

Posted

Looks like it's just us Peter!

Snow melting now in the sun, but plenty more showers waiting in the North Sea. Hopefully these will continue through the night then they can build up a bit rather than keep melting in between showers.

Looks like higher ground will have the advantage for at least the next week as it looks too marginal for low ground much of the time.

Posted

Just cold sleet showers and sunshine, temp 3°C in Stockton-on-Tees. There was a light covering at home this morning and the wife reports occasional wet snow showers this morning.

I'm hoping that it will get a little less marginal as the week progresses - the uppers seem a little colder at times.

Posted

Uppers should be a little colder tonight and i think this could be our only real chance of seeing some snowfall if you at lower levels.

I'm surprised at the lack of snow showers today, thought showers will be snowy but when the showers did arrive(which was not many it has to be said), it was a wintry mix of mainly rain but with hail then sleet on the backward edge.

Posted

Lower dewpoints coming into the region overnight in association with colder upper air should turn things less sleety for tomorrow and thursday as long as there are showers around of course!

Drove to work in a heavy snow shower this morning which made the roads dodgy yet again.

I've never seen a gritting lorry up this way since last december.:(

Posted

Lower dewpoints coming into the region overnight in association with colder upper air should turn things less sleety for tomorrow and thursday as long as there are showers around of course!

Drove to work in a heavy snow shower this morning which made the roads dodgy yet again.

I've never seen a gritting lorry up this way since last december.:(

Loads of showers out at sea and growing in intensity and size, and plenty headed straight for Tyne and Wear ( well, all of the North East really).

Had one heavy one here just now, unfortunately it was just RAIN !! Aaarrrggghhh.

Anybody got any idea when the DPs are forecast to drop low enough to produce snow. It just seems such a waste of precipitation when it's so marginal.

Karl

Posted

Loads of showers out at sea and growing in intensity and size, and plenty headed straight for Tyne and Wear ( well, all of the North East really).

Had one heavy one here just now, unfortunately it was just RAIN !! Aaarrrggghhh.

Anybody got any idea when the DPs are forecast to drop low enough to produce snow. It just seems such a waste of precipitation when it's so marginal.

Karl

From later tonight on wards most of the precipitation should fall as snow, bar the coast where it could easily be rain. The shower I just had was of snow and earlier they were of rain so the dew points are already dropping of.

Posted

Karl

The chart i posted has dewpoints of -1/-2 spreading in to the region in the early hours of wednesday morning which will help to make things less marginal.

Just had a decent snow shower here,which has given a light covering.

Could do with a frost to go with it though!