Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Still light snow but barely a dusting. In some areas a dusting but in others just wet ground. Im VERY dissapointed. wallbash.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Snow fizzling out now, it left a dusting of less than 0.5cm :)

Posted

Snowing moderately again drinks.gif Looks like 10 more minutes on the radar.

Posted

STILL snowing albeit lightly and the dusting is well that and there are many areas without cover.

Posted

STILL snowing albeit lightly and the dusting is well that and there are many areas without cover.

Snow on everything here, but only just.

Posted

Its stopped here now leaving only a dusting which is nothing to what was forecast.

Next week is looking interesting now though.<_<

Posted

Still snowing albeit lightly but it aint adding to the cover at all really. I have a dusting but in some parts there is wet ground and no snow so overall very dissapointed. Any chance of those showers in scotland coming down I doubt it though wallbash.gif

Stopped snowing completly now tonight was a pathetic attempt if Im honest anyone with a full cover and a 1cm depth + should count themselves as lucky .

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Still snowing albeit lightly but it aint adding to the cover at all really. I have a dusting but in some parts there is wet ground and no snow so overall very dissapointed. Any chance of those showers in scotland coming down I doubt it though wallbash.gif

Wet patches!?! Everything frozen here, looks like that's it for the snow now, until next week if the easterly comes off. GEFS ensembles paint the picture well, the 6z still had around 40% going for mild, on the 12z only about 10% go for mild, and there is good confidence that early next week will see 850s tumbling to between -8°C and -13°C. That is deep cold, and coming from the east so you can forget the lack of precipitation.

If this easterly/northeasterly comes off this winter would be truly remarkable!

Posted

Alza yes i know i couldnt believe it when i went out were there were wet patches but there is around 70% of a dusting

Posted

Unbelievable the dusting i had has melted! wallbash.gif

Posted

Yesterday evenings slight fall is still lying and with the temperature still at or just below freezing has not melted yet,bearing in mind what the big three are saying this morning 2-4 days without the white stuff is no big deal. This thread should be buzzing next week.

Posted

Yesterday evenings slight fall is still lying and with the temperature still at or just below freezing has not melted yet,bearing in mind what the big three are saying this morning 2-4 days without the white stuff is no big deal. This thread should be buzzing next week.

aye temperatures arent set to get any higher than 5/6 degrees at the most around here this weekend, then by monday snow showers off the north sea pretty much until the lower resolution of the gfs starts smile.gif i think after that we are going to all be well and truely ready for spring if it comes off aha smile.gif. gfs playing its old game of a storm at the end of the run but we shall seee.

Edited by Andy Sabb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

lets see what the 12z rolls out.things could be interesting for next week,time will tell.

Well that didn't disappoint!

Great run with plenty of potential for snow the majority of next week. I wonder if we could reach a foot again? I don't think many would bet against it.

Already got next Wednesday and Thursday off work :)

Posted

Great run with plenty of potential for snow the majority of next week. I wonder if we could reach a foot again? I don't think many would bet against it.

Already got next Wednesday and Thursday off work :clap:

If the current charts verify then it could well be like February 1979 again!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Like in the model output thread I will preach some caution in here tonight. There is no guarantee that these runs will come off as the models are only just latching onto this pattern and it could easily flip back tomorrow. If the same kind of scenario is showing tomorrow, with good agreement, then it may be time to start getting excited, but today I think is a bit too early.

If it does come off, though, I will be getting that sledge ready and be looking forward to a lot more of that convection over the North Sea.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Aye , caution but tis' looking favourable with 3 runs in a row showing the return of those blues..! Ive seen decent snowfalls over this winter already as have most of us but this one (if it comes off) has to be huge disruptive snowfalls and a week of sub zero temperatures to get me excited i really want to see something spectacular 1979 being the last 'real' disruptive and spectacular bout i enjoyed. Call me nostalgic but this winter has had the feel of those cold dark winters of the 70's... My brother arrives from Brazil tomorrow where theyve been enjoying 30°C temps gonna be a real shocker for him next week....:)... Well here's looking to a busy thread hopefully Monday we'll be posting the beginings of something special..:)

Posted

Already got next Wednesday and Thursday off work :)

bloody hell looking good.

Like in the model output thread I will preach some caution in here tonight. There is no guarantee that these runs will come off as the models are only just latching onto this pattern and it could easily flip back tomorrow. If the same kind of scenario is showing tomorrow, with good agreement, then it may be time to start getting excited, but today I think is a bit too early.

If it does come off, though, I will be getting that sledge ready and be looking forward to a lot more of that convection over the North Sea.

i'll wax ya runners lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Further to my previous comments through the season regarding "how much would it take to give me my fill of the weather pattern with sunshine and snow showers delivered by towering convective clouds", I'm beginning to suspect it would require me to be snowed in for a significant period of time- and even then the "fill" would probably only be temporary. You don't really know how much of something you can take until you actually experience it lol!

Remarkably my enthusiasm for the synoptics progged at T+120 doesn't appear to be much lower than it was when I was seeing similar progs for around 17/18 December.

Talking of cold dark winters, I've found the strong inverse relationship between temperatures and sunshine particularly odd this winter- not so much the association, but the strength of it. It seems that whenever anything remotely mild appears we see hardly any sunshine and vice versa!

Posted

Further to my previous comments through the season regarding "how much would it take to give me my fill of the weather pattern with sunshine and snow showers delivered by towering convective clouds", I'm beginning to suspect it would require me to be snowed in for a significant period of time- and even then the "fill" would probably only be temporary. You don't really know how much of something you can take until you actually experience it lol!

Remarkably my enthusiasm for the synoptics progged at T+120 doesn't appear to be much lower than it was when I was seeing similar progs for around 17/18 December.

Talking of cold dark winters, I've found the strong inverse relationship between temperatures and sunshine particularly odd this winter- not so much the association, but the strength of it. It seems that whenever anything remotely mild appears we see hardly any sunshine and vice versa!

Ill drink to that.:lol:

Hail watch begins on sunday afternoon as the colder upper air spreads in from the east,if the gfs is correct.

It always seems to start with hail/graupel in these situations until the much colder air becomes established.

Posted

If the current charts verify then it could well be like February 1979 again!!

February 1979 = 12 inches (30cm) :whistling:

March 1979 = 20 inches (50cm) :lol: :D :D

Both were severe blizzards in Newcastle. I doubt next week will be as bad as that, although the uppers will be very cold and an intense cold snap could be on the cards, the cold isn't quite as intense as in February 1979 though the set up is similar. March 1979 was a different set up with low pressure bringing in a stalled weather front for a few days I think, though winds coming in off the North Sea would've helped.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow until Monday, luckily it looks like I'll be back for the fun! :D

Posted

There was also February 1978 when snowstorms cut off Newcastle around this time:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1978/Rrea00119780212.gif

Posted

There was also February 1978 when snowstorms cut off Newcastle around this time:

http://www.wetterzen...00119780212.gif

Yes, a foot then (30cm) as well. I think this looks more like February 1978 than 1979, but I don't believe in pattern matching and I don't think you can predict snowfall amounts by matching the upcoming cold spell with previous ones. However, it gives me confidence that a similar scenario saw so much snow which mostly fell in a few days. yahoo.gif

Posted

So well well next week could top my biggest snow cover of my life which is 20cm so hmm come on !

Posted

pressure is generally lower on this cold spell contrast to january so maybe we could be in for more snowfall :whistling: especially if any troughs form.

overall i think it will be snowier, yet not as cold compared to january. strong easterly/northeasterly winds never seem to give the coast much extreme low temperatures - however we do get the most snowfall from these situations :lol: so fair do's really laugh.gif

hopefully this time around my sixth form will have the generosity to close aha. doubt it thoughhh ha, even though i secretly love walking back in the snow whistling.gif