Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

It does seem we are now on for a cold blast next week, some interesting posts be posted in the model discussion thread, could this be the week were we see another feb 91, fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Off to Scarborough 13th Feb for a night or two, hopefully i'll see some snow! :hi:

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Hi Backtrack, i think you'd be better off in the Yorkshire/Lincolnshire and the Pennines thread if you want to follow the snow for the Scarborough. But youre welcome to pop in our regional thread if you feel the need...

Posted

Sorry,

Scarborough is classed as the North East though isnt it?

Posted

Sorry,

Northeast England starts Teeside ends Berwick in my book. With Teeside being southeastern part of the northeast and Berwick being northeastern part of the northeast. I know what you mean though, sometimes i hear on the national weather forecasts that storms/snow whatever is moving into North Eastern parts of the UK and when i look up at the tv, lo' and behold its approaching Hull..

The MetO class Scarborough in Yorkshire/Humber area and not Northeastern England.

Posted

Okay, thanks mate.

Should be good anyway on that bitter easterly wind. With the east favoured for snow anyway, im sure i will see some. :lol:

Posted

Okay, thanks mate.

Should be good anyway on that bitter easterly wind. With the east favoured for snow anyway, im sure i will see some. :cray:

Enjoy the raw B-easterly.(If it arrives).:cray:.. Get yersell down to the seafront and feel the force...!!!! It wont disappoint..:lol:

Edited by NL

Posted

Sorry,

as not sure of it's geographical location,but its my fav holiday location for the past 30 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

It looks like we'll have a busy couple of weeks in here as the cold weather is returning. Although I guess it never really went for some of us!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Showers already building in the N.Sea and heading straight for our region. In 24hours these look likely to be falling as snow and on higher ground lying. After that it looks promising for my snow shovel coming into use again......

Posted

Showers already building in the N.Sea and heading straight for our region. In 24hours these look likely to be falling as snow and on higher ground lying. After that it looks promising for my snow shovel coming into use again......

yes I seen them on the charts earlier building up in the north sea. The thing is freezing-point, tonight is cold and foggy, this happens before any spell of cold weather as it did in December and January, so hopefully we are in for something good. By the way have you seen the snowstorms on the eastern side of the usa, that is mega stuff happening there.

Posted

anyone just see the weekly forecast on country file, BRING ON WEDNESDAY :whistling: the whole of the north East covered in Snow showers, and on Thursday and Friday, he then went onto say wait until next weeks forecast, this could be a very good spell indeed :yahoo:

Edited by dave79

Posted

Latest radar shows the showers turning more wintry as temps and dewpoints start to lower so maybe a dusting by morning for higher parts of the region.

Looks like quite a long cold spell coming up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Didn't expect this, heavy shower here which is mostly hail but I think there's a bit snow too.

It's left a slight covering on the cars and paths.

Looking forward to seeing more activity in this thread again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Hail and Sleet here in Dipton, near Stanley looks like a good start to the main events, shame our council hasnt bothered filling any salt bins since last snow. Will be fun if lasts as long as expected.

Enjoy

Kev

Posted

Been at work through the night and on and off rain/hail/sleet/snow showers all night. No matter that pressure is high, as long as we have that drift off the North sea then we will always have a good chance of plenty of showers, no matter what the forecast may say!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Got to work in Consett and already a dusting on most surfaces.

At least with the high pressure and fairly light winds any showers we do get will be slow moving. A big slow moving trough would be nice!

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Whats our chances of a pasting this week? All the talk is of the far south east and nowhere else. Hope not cause it will be our last this winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

At 3:10 and lasted around 10minuites there was blizzard conditions but it soon stopped and didnt have chance to lay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

There was a snow flurry in Cumbria this morning which left a very light dusting, but between Hexham and Newcastle there was a shower which fell as rain and sleet.

Posted

dewpoints have been just too high today so far it seems for my location dry.gif a lot of sleet showers but dewpoint never low enough to allow snow, and temperatures reached 5C earlier.

has anybody else noticed that the local 7 day weather forecast on the site is showing snow forecast percentages under what they actually are forecasted to be by the GFS?, i thought it was just a glitch on the 6Z but its happened again on the 12Z. For example tomorrow morning at 3:00am the snow risk forecast says 65% whereas the 7 day forecast says 36% nonono.gif

Posted

Hi all, any guesses on the next 24 hrs. Everything seems so messy , in the way of models, precip, etc. Everyone arguing on the model thread (what's new hee hee), people getting frustrated that it's not going to be -10 with 6 feet drifts!

My guess, maybe a few showers tonight that will be sleety at the coast, maybe snow inland, perhaps a cm on the ground by dawn if yer lucky (? anyone else agree).

One or two more daytime showers tomorrow, that will probably fall as snow everywhere but not intense enough to lie in daylight hours.

After that, it's all guesswork (anything can develop in a short space of timewith a set-up like this) but I think it will be all fairly benign for the rest of the week, may get a couple of light coverings, nothing to write home about.

Looking a bit tastier from the weekend onwards, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

Karl

dewpoints have been just too high today so far it seems for my location dry.gif a lot of sleet showers but dewpoint never low enough to allow snow, and temperatures reached 5C earlier.

has anybody else noticed that the local 7 day weather forecast on the site is showing snow forecast percentages under what they actually are forecasted to be by the GFS?, i thought it was just a glitch on the 6Z but its happened again on the 12Z. For example tomorrow morning at 3:00am the snow risk forecast says 65% whereas the 7 day forecast says 36% nonono.gif

Andy,

Take precipitation forecasts with a grit-bin full of salt.

(If you can find one of course lol).

I don't bother with them myself, it only leads to either greater-than-expected rewards, or hude disappointment and promises of not looking any more!

Karl

Posted

Andy,

Take precipitation forecasts with a grit-bin full of salt.

(If you can find one of course lol).

I don't bother with them myself, it only leads to either greater-than-expected rewards, or hude disappointment and promises of not looking any more!

Karl

i do mate haha, i just use the percentage as a vague outline - like anything under 55-60 percent i will take as a no to snow. its just a bit annoying that netweather has decided to ignore the GFS and stick a random percentage on and call it rain/sleet unknw.gif

Edited by Andy Sabb