Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

We have a ground frost now with the car iced up but no snow showers as yet,I would think the temperature will rise as soon as the cloud arrives so we will need something quite heavy to lower the isothermal layer to give anything laying this early in the evening.

Posted

Watch the trough out to the north sea, the green arrows are the likely direction. Could well get a good few cm's from that if you are directly hit, there are likely to be alot of showers associated with the trough which would help for those who miss it. post-8968-12657474503417_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

The weather took the mick there it was raining, sleeting, hailing,snowing and i was out in it for 30minuites wallbash.gif

Posted

We have a ground frost now with the car iced up but no snow showers as yet,I would think the temperature will rise as soon as the cloud arrives so we will need something quite heavy to lower the isothermal layer to give anything laying this early in the evening.

Rollo, how high are you, I am at about 105m asl and have no frost at all yet and only a few miles away (probably about 8 as the crow flies).

Have just had a shower of rain, with just a hint of sleet on the back edge.

I am fairly confident that we will wake up to a light covering in the morning though, maybe a cm, those in Consett, Stanley etc can possibly look forward to 3 or 4 and another slippery ride to work.

Has anyone seen a gritter recently?

Are the councils holding on to their grit supplies for next week I wonder?

Karl

Posted

Rollo, how high are you, I am at about 105m asl and have no frost at all yet and only a few miles away (probably about 8 as the crow flies).

I am fairly confident that we will wake up to a light covering in the morning though, maybe a cm, those in Consett, Stanley etc can possibly look forward to 3 or 4 and another slippery ride to work.

Karl

Ive seen four gritters in the past 2 hours from norton to thornaby

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Watch the trough out to the north sea, the green arrows are the likely direction. Could well get a good few cm's from that if you are directly hit, there are likely to be alot of showers associated with the trough which would help for those who miss it. post-8968-12657474503417_thumb.jpg

One of those arrows is pointing directly to me, shame we have the barrier that is the Pennines. I don't see any snow showers over NE England making it across the Pennines this week, watching the NW weather forecasts and seeing all those showers to the east of the Pennines is dissapointing, whereas the local weather forecasters seem to be rejoicing the fact that the NW is dry, a very nimby region centric attitude I feel..

Posted

Current shower is a lot heavier and more sleet than rain, some huge fat flakes mixed in. It's either evaporative cooling kicking in or the DPs are dropping. Either way it's an improvement.

Karl

Posted

Quite heavy snow shower here at the moment and lying thanks to a slight ground frost.

Plenty of showers to come for the region tonight which will turn more to snow at lower levels as the night wears on.

As for gritters,i've more chance of seeing E.T. :D

Posted

Quite heavy snow shower here at the moment and lying thanks to a slight ground frost.

Plenty of showers to come for the region tonight which will turn more to snow at lower levels as the night wears on.

As for gritters,i've more chance of seeing E.T. laugh.gif

Ive seen him 4times then lmao ! i know wah ya mean though whistling.gif

Posted

Karl

some medium to big flakes here now.nothing intense though.

Posted

a big elongated stream comming in north of Blyth now,looks like a prolonged bullseye for here.its rain over the sea then turning to sleet a few miles inland.once it gets up here it's huge bonny wet flakes lol.

Posted

well we should be seeing snow now looking at the bbc weather local forecast for ts6, heavy rain and the current temp is 2 degrees, dewpoint 1 degree, so I wont be seeing any snow anytime soon by the looks of things.

Posted

Need a clear spell now for this dusting of wet snow to freeze and i'm confident of a few cm's over night. It'll make up for a disappointing night with the footy. Clear now and temps are 0.8c

Edited by snow_mad_09

Posted

Need a clear spell now for this dusting of wet snow to freeze and i'm confident of a few cm's over night. It'll make up for a disappointing night with the footy

Dissapointing night with the football how? Boro WON whistling.gif Anyways currently in a dry period

Posted

aye its cooled down rapidly here.just been out to the car and its fozen hail all over it.next cell of precip is falling as snow just now.

Dissapointing night with the football how? Boro WON whistling.gif Anyways currently in a dry period

we got stuffed,Derby our new bogey team lol.

sorry snowmad,i had you down as a mackem lol.sincere apologies peter

Posted

some medium to big flakes here now.nothing intense though.

Around 200ft asl peter,it clouded over and the temperature rose to 1c and started to rain,currently its snowing-very wet stuff and not laying at all,we must have a chance during the early hours of a centimetre or two.

Posted

This is what I expect to happen, this is just for fun so don't take it as gospel, will be interesting to see what happens.

Forecast for tonights trough

The trough out to the north sea Is likely to hit our region at around 1AM, I expect all of Yorkshire to be affected by this trough. There will be showers and bands of precipitation associated with this trough as well so even if you aren't affected by the bulk of the precipitation you are likely to be affected by any of the showers or bands of precipitation.

The Map I have highlighted show the areas at risk, the trough is in the large red circle and the associated showers are in the blue area, the heaviest of the precipitation is likely to be in the brown area.

Be aware the the trough may miss the UK altogether and slide south/South West, this could happen and is a possibility that shouldn't be overlooked.

Highlighted areas of the UK

Green- Coastal areas, which are likely to receive a wintry mixture of sleet and snow, heavy precipitation is likely to fall as wet snow, possible temporary accumulations of 1-2cm.

Yellow- Slightly inland areas are likely to receive mostly snow and perhaps sleet in the lighter bursts, leading to 2-3cm of snow, lying snow should last throughout the morning.

Purple- Precipitation is likely to make it this far but not as heavy compared to the Green and Yellow zones, all precipitation will be of snow with possible accumulations of 1-2cm.

White Zone- pennine chain where the snow will die out.

post-8968-12657548949917_thumb.jpg

Posted
whistling.gif Im in yellow just lol marginal i think soo

Posted

This is what I expect to happen, this is just for fun so don't take it as gospel, will be interesting to see what happens.

Forecast for tonights trough

The trough out to the north sea Is likely to hit our region at around 1AM, I expect all of Yorkshire to be affected by this trough. There will be showers and bands of precipitation associated with this trough as well so even if you aren't affected by the bulk of the precipitation you are likely to be affected by any of the showers or bands of precipitation.

The Map I have highlighted show the areas at risk, the trough is in the large red circle and the associated showers are in the blue area, the heaviest of the precipitation is likely to be in the brown area.

Be aware the the trough may miss the UK altogether and slide south/South West, this could happen and is a possibility that shouldn't be overlooked.

Highlighted areas of the UK

Green- Coastal areas, which are likely to receive a wintry mixture of sleet and snow, heavy precipitation is likely to fall as wet snow, possible temporary accumulations of 1-2cm.

Yellow- Slightly inland areas are likely to receive mostly snow and perhaps sleet in the lighter bursts, leading to 2-3cm of snow, lying snow should last throughout the morning.

Purple- Precipitation is likely to make it this far but not as heavy compared to the Green and Yellow zones, all precipitation will be of snow with possible accumulations of 1-2cm.

White Zone- pennine chain where the snow will die out.

post-8968-12657548949917_thumb.jpg

interseting stuff 10123, good post, lets hope your right, if so that trough is heading my way but I would need the temp to drop a little otherwise it's rain we will be seeing.

off topic guys but wembley here we come, play off's all the way, best way to go up lol

Posted

Yeah.a good covering here as well and still snowing.

Met office have issued a warning for icy roads,so just a normal day then.:cold: