Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

The showers are now falling apart, never thought they'd come ashore here but i thought N york moors would have had a few cm but alas not to be. As for tomorrow its looking like the front coming in wont produce much in the way of ppn east of the Pennines, stalling and weakening as it approaches, but tomorrows another day we'll just have to wait and see....

As usual its radar watching and see what falls out of the sky i suppose. I mean i bet very few of us expected too see any snow this morning and we saw a few hours of it albeit none of it settled as it was too wet on the ground and the snow was probably was a bit too wet too stick aswell.

I would think temps would be more on an issue than the PPN imo, looks marginal but the beeb is ramping it up so i suppose there is a chance.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I would think temps would be more on an issue than the PPN imo, looks marginal but the beeb is ramping it up so i suppose there is a chance.

I cant see how the temps pose any issues, care to elaborate GS..?

Temps are forecast to be between 1-2°C at sea-level and Dp's below 0°C, the cold air is reluctant to move away so quick, even Jay Wynne's weather presentation emphisized the contrasting temperatures dividing the UK and when the 'milder' flow does arrive we are still only reaching a max of 5°C as opposed to 10-11°C in the far SW of the UK.. I know the graphics on the BBC are a bit 'iffy' but the intensity of the rain/sleet and snow is somewhat compromised in the North East, even had rain over teeside with light patchy snow graphics towards the east coast. Guess we all have to wait until tomorrow to get some gist of what may happen..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Not much interest in todays event then?

GFS not looking as good for PPN amounts later, heaviest is forecast to be south of here. Looking at the radar though the heavy stuff around NI looks like it could move towards us, but no doubt the Pennines will do some damage.

Most of us should see at least 1 or 2cm I would guess, with higher places, Stanley/Consett for example getting around 5cm. That's just my guess anyway, I can't see any of us getting much more than that.

Just had a quick read of the model thread this morning and things seem really interesting with the models trending towards easterly winds and snow next week, but still plenty of uncertainty.

Posted

Not much interest in todays event then?

GFS not looking as good for PPN amounts later, heaviest is forecast to be south of here. Looking at the radar though the heavy stuff around NI looks like it could move towards us, but no doubt the Pennines will do some damage.

Most of us should see at least 1 or 2cm I would guess, with higher places, Stanley/Consett for example getting around 5cm. That's just my guess anyway, I can't see any of us getting much more than that.

Just had a quick read of the model thread this morning and things seem really interesting with the models trending towards easterly winds and snow next week, but still plenty of uncertainty.

Difficult to say this one but a few cms here and there east of the pennines,the snow is forecst to be light but what may give heavier falls is the persistence and this can be the case with warm fronts

Posted

Difficult to say this one but a few cms here and there east of the pennines,the snow is forecst to be light but what may give heavier falls is the persistence and this can be the case with warm fronts

Very hard to call, this one. Looking at the radar it's very hard to guess when the precip will hit Tyne and Wear. The back edge appears to be moving forward, but the front edge appears to be stalling somewhat. This means the precip band is narrowing, but is becoming slower moving, but at the same time it is definitely intensifying.

My own guess would be that it now doesn't arrive at Newcastle say, until about 10pm-midnight, but once it does it could hang around til dawn, with the snow gradually becoming less intense overnight. Poss 5cm low-level, 10-15 cm high ground, assuming there is enough left after the Pennines have eaten some of it !

Karl :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Unfortunately the precipitation looks like its got a large gap in it heading for our region, and the BBC graphics show what could well happen nonono.gif

Posted

Unfortunately the precipitation looks like its got a large gap in it heading for our region, and the BBC graphics show what could well happen nonono.gif

Maybe, the bands to north and south of us will rejoin after hitting the pennines. Maybe , not likely.

Posted

It's filling in nicely now and not too far away.

Still not expecting any more than 5cm even up here, but still it looks almost certain that we'll get at least some snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

How is looking for me to get some snow? What time is it going to hit roughly and how much?

Posted

The hole has filled in now, hooray!!

All we need now is for it to stall over our region, the rate it is shifting now we will only get about 3hrs of snow.

Apparentlt there are now traffic problems on the M6 due to snow.

Now estimate arrival in Tyne and Wear at about 7pm.

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Hope you get what Manchester getting ATM belting down nice big 50p size flakes a covering of about 2cm ATM and still snowing

good luck guys

C.S

Posted

How is looking for me to get some snow? What time is it going to hit roughly and how much?

I think it'll reach you between 17:00 and 17:30. I would guess you'll get 3-5cm, but if we're lucky and the ppn slows over us there could be more.

Posted

I think it'll reach you between 17:00 and 17:30. I would guess you'll get 3-5cm, but if we're lucky and the ppn slows over us there could be more.

Good :) Thanks for nice quick reply mate :D

Posted

Is it still coming between 5-5 30 ?

Posted

Is it still coming between 5-5 30 ?

Probably a little later now, should be with you for about 6.

Doesn't look like we'll get much though, further south looks best around Yorks/Lincs etc.

Posted

Probably a little later now, should be with you for about 6.

Doesn't look like we'll get much though, further south looks best around Yorks/Lincs etc.

Okay and im in the south of the region in Teeside so i suppose i could see higher accumlations than those further north.

Posted

Were is the snow?

Posted

Okay and im in the south of the region in Teeside so i suppose i could see higher accumlations than those further north.

Actually, I think places further north in our region will do better from this - the heavy stuff over Yorkshire has reached the East Coast now, so if it isn't snowing in Teesside now you've missed that lot. There is a narrower, lighter band travelling eastwards further north than this, but on the high resolution radar you can see a heavier burst heading for Tyneside / South Northumberland. Other than Tyneside / South Northumberland there will be less than 1cm, in these places I expect 2-3cm. Tyneside is marginal though, since the heavy burst isn't particularly large in size a slight change in Track and it would be too far north. The furthest south it will get will be Tyneside though, best placed is somewhere between Newcastle and Morpeth.

Btw, in case this is a total let down you could lighten your mood by looking at the models this evening - they're back to showing an easterly :cc_confused: Still setting in on Mon/Tues, so this flipping can't go on for that much longer.

Its a bit like a roulette wheel - Red, black, red, black, red ... black ... ... ... red ... stopped

Only in this case - Beasterly, mild, beasterly, mild ... beasterly ... ... ... ? ... stopped

The flipping of the models will surely slow down until it settles on an outcome, but hopefully it will stop on an easterly :)

Posted

Actually, I think places further north in our region will do better from this - the heavy stuff over Yorkshire has reached the East Coast now, so if it isn't snowing in Teesside now you've missed that lot. There is a narrower, lighter band travelling eastwards further north than this, but on the high resolution radar you can see a heavier burst heading for Tyneside / South Northumberland. Other than Tyneside / South Northumberland there will be less than 1cm, in these places I expect 2-3cm. Tyneside is marginal though, since the heavy burst isn't particularly large in size a slight change in Track and it would be too far north. The furthest south it will get will be Tyneside though, best placed is somewhere between Newcastle and Morpeth.

Btw, in case this is a total let down you could lighten your mood by looking at the models this evening - they're back to showing an easterly smile.gif Still setting in on Mon/Tues, so this flipping can't go on for that much longer.

Its a bit like a roulette wheel - Red, black, red, black, red ... black ... ... ... red ... stopped

Only in this case - Beasterly, mild, beasterly, mild ... beasterly ... ... ... ? ... stopped

The flipping of the models will surely slow down until it settles on an outcome, but hopefully it will stop on an easterly smile.gif

Its not snowing but the sky has gone pink!

Posted

Light/moderate snow here for the last half hour,which has left a dusting already.

The band of snow is quite narrow,so maybe a couple of cm's at the most.

Posted

FINALLY some very very light snow wallbash.gif Moderate snow now big flakes starting to give a dusting straight away!!! drinks.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

yeah snowing here too but somehow i feel robbed, yesterdays forecasts looked quite promising for us and we could of had that heavier stuff further South.

Never mind though, a dusting is better than nothing but it proves that frontal snow around here is not that good.

Posted

yeah snowing here too but somehow i feel robbed, yesterdays forecasts looked quite promising for us and we could of had that heavier stuff further South.

Never mind though, a dusting is better than nothing but it proves that frontal snow around here is not that good.

Back to light snow here blush.gif and i feel robbed too a dusting though on ground as flakes are quite big just need it to increase in intensity.

Posted

Moderate snow, a dusting :drinks: