Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hello,thanks for the welcome,heres a picture from the bathroom window about half an hour ago,its -1.2 here.

post-11544-12648153293688_thumb.jpg

Posted

This confirms that the snow streamer is every bit as phenomenal as the radar suggests (the radar has had intense snowfall centred over the South Shields area for 2 hours). 11cm in 2 hours is truly remarkable.

I bet you wish you were in Cleadon now T.W.S. I wish I was but will be soon. :) Edit: and a lot more to fall in the next hours judging by the radar.

Edited by Blizzard_of_Oz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In some ways yes, as it sounds like it's been an amazing event there- really heavy blowing snow, of a magnitude that I don't think I've ever seen before over such a long period of time.

If this was a "normal" winter I'd be feeling pretty despondent about it, but as I've already seen 12cm at Cleadon on New Year's Day, and about the same again at Norwich on 9 January, I don't really mind. And at least Norwich is getting some snow- many inland parts of the country are unlikely to get any snow at all this weekend!

Posted

Oh yes it sounds amazing I have just been chatting to my Son in Shields and I was telling him about the winter of 1978-1979 when I was a lad of 14 great times no school for weeks and the first and only time in England that we could not even open our door because of the snow drifts. Do you have any record of the snow depth of that Winter it must have been around 16 inches at least.

Can't recall anything near that down here apart from last February about 10 inches but very short event considering 1978-9 up in Shields. Quite good falls here in December and January also, just hope that the Easterly comes off could be 1 hell of a cold spell and quite possibly a very snowy 1 here, whats your thoughts on it T.W.S I have only read about 3 posts from you in the last couple of days?

Edited by Blizzard_of_Oz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Wow really coming down thick and fast here!

Never going to reach the totals further east but still good to see, and far more than I expected from tonight, which was nothing!

I can imagine how it built up so quickly in South Shields, already looks like easily over a cm from just a few minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For now I'm undecided on this easterly- I think we're very likely to have a cold February now, but whether we get a direct hit from the east is still open to question with the model runs painting a varied picture. Hopefully it will become clearer over the next couple of days, as I need to do the month-ahead outlook for February.

A February 1991 style easterly would certainly bring a large amount of snow to the Cleadon area, and also the Norwich area, both of which are ideally placed to pick up large snowfalls from unstable easterlies.

As it happens, heavy blowing snow in Norwich at the moment- it won't last as long as Cleadon's bout, but a pleasant surprise as the band looked to be fragmenting down here but seems to have pepped up a little over Norwich. I won't make 11cm down here but I could still get a fairly sizeable covering out of this by dawn.

Posted

Yes the 00z will be out soon lets hope that it starts to agree with the other models and the ensembles, hopeful that things will be a lot more clearer on Mondays runs then its game on if that pressure builds over Scandi. but a long way to go yet.

Sunny Shields now becomes snowy Shields and instead of Sandancers we are now known as Snow dancers.

Posted

Just got in from work it took me 40 mins to get from Walkergate to Cramlington and weve got about 10cm of snow in Cramlington and its still coming down heavy

BTW i dropped someone off at Newburn at 1am and there was no snow on the way back Quayside no snow then got to Walkergate it was heavy thats 2 miles

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Aye 78-79 remember it well as i was a lad of 14yrs, remember we had a few weeks off school but i still had to do my paper round in knee-deep snow and trying my best to dodge huge amount of snow falling from roofs...!! (not many people had loft insulation then) i remember almost being buried from one 'roof avalanche' courtesy of a large house (Field House, Grosvenor Road..Its now an old peoples home). I can remember scraping the ice off the inside of my bedroom window as most houses back then didnt have central heating.... how did we cope..!! haha.. that really was an epic cold snowy winter.

Just had 10 minutes of no snowfall only to come back with another blizzard, looking like more to come so i think South Shields can expect another top up of 5cm or more before sunrise..

Edited by NL

Posted

Ha ha I went to Brinky School, yes it looks like heavy showers for the rest of the moring for you now and it looks like its heading more inland down here off the Norfolk Coast not expecting nowt mind just a dusting maybe if they make headway here.

Posted

Ha ha I went to Brinky School, yes it looks like heavy showers for the rest of the moring for you now and it looks like its heading more inland down here off the Norfolk Coast not expecting nowt mind just a dusting maybe if they make headway here.

I was a Harton Comp boy.... Well the radar hasn't updated for just over 45mins now so i dont know whether those pending showers have come and gone..!!. The visible satellite images show scattered showers coming in on a nor'easterly flow towards Tyne & Wear so on that note im off to bed and see whats in store for what awaits me in the morning. The radar has lost the plot... now showing data upto 8:00pm yesterday...dont know if its issues from the MetO or the introduction of the 'new' google map enabled radar getting all bugged-out.....

Edited by NL

Posted

Rain today is off try this 1.

http://www.meteox.co...&soort=loop1uur

If raintoday is off aswell then i suspect its a MetO issue,

Aye the trusty french radar... not hi-res but gives you some sort of clue..cheers.. Just been washed brushed my teeth and saw flakes flying by my patterned bathroom window, looked out of my bedroom window and Lo 'n' behold a heavy bout of snow...again..!! Hope my milkman can get his delivery completed i need some milk in the morning for my Nescafè moment whilst gazing at yet another winter wonderland.(3rd decent snowfall this09/10 'propa' winter.) And possibly more severe to come...!!!

Only had an extra 2cm since that 11cm, 2hr deluge earlier...

Edited by NL

Posted

Yes doing very well for snow up there, its started to snow here but wont last that long, I tell you if you want a good laugh of drunken people falling down in the snow try this its quality and live.

http://www.terena.org/webcam/

Ha ha, gonna bookmark that page... gonna see some poor folk comin' a croppa around there, just seen a person almost getting hit by a car,with all that snow and ice the car would never have been able to stop in time... are those blokes bogs (urinals) in the middle? i'm sure ive just seen some bloke relieving himself and with it being so cold i think somebody needs to come along and snap him off...!!!!

Posted

Went to bed to a light snow flurry last night but not a spot on the ground this morning :yahoo:

About 1cm or so in Stockton-on-Tees at work - I thought there would be more looking at the radar last night but I guess the NW wind picked up overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

About 4-5cm here, judging by the radar I got very lucky! The snow is very lumpy, but before it snowed last night there was some hail, so I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Does anyone else have 'lumpy snow'? cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

About 4-5cm here, judging by the radar I got very lucky! The snow is very lumpy, but before it snowed last night there was some hail, so I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Does anyone else have 'lumpy snow'? cc_confused.gif

I would take lumpy snow anyday,dont conplian LOL i have not seen a flake yet..............

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I would take lumpy snow anyday,dont conplian LOL i have not seen a flake yet..............

C.S

Lol I wasn't complaining, itlooks quite good actually! I just wondered how it fell like that!

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Not one flake fell here just that little bit too far inland!

Posted

A light covering here of under a cm but still looks good!

Good to see some heavy falls near the coast as these areas often miss out due to the warming effects of the north sea.

Posted

Morning guys, just a quick post before work, woken up to a couple of inches of snow, well surprised and very unexpected.

May have to make the most of it, reading the model thread it seems the easterly that has been mentioned all week, is dimishising, may well end up quite mild in the end.

Posted

wow. went to bed when it had just started snowing, just to make sure it had reached us, and then woke up this morning to this. i can't beleive how deep it is ive measured 12cm in my garden shok.gif did not expect this at all biggrin.gif