Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Last half hour id say coming down at an inches per half hour rate. Everything completly white here now.

Posted

good covering here, even though the radar shows rain its big white flakes lol.

Peter, I need a favour, I have a load of wood in my garden I need rid of. Can I drop it off around the allotment for you to burn?

Posted

Peter, I need a favour, I have a load of wood in my garden I need rid of. Can I drop it off around the allotment for you to burn?

mikey mentioned it mate,can you throw it over the main gates.damn flytippers have been acting up again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Had some moderate snow at 12 20 till 1 then stopped. Any chance of snow showers tonight? And what time is that front expected to arrive for tommorrow for our region? How much expected etc? and will it stay as snow?

Posted

Well that was a snowy suprise this morning.!

Looked out the window at 7.20 this morning and it was raining,not even any sleet.Stepped out the door to go to work at 7.45 and it was snowing pretty heavy with already a light covering.:)

It left just under 2 inches before it stopped around lunchtime.

Slight thaw in the afternoon which has now frozen solid.:drinks:

The winter landscape is back.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Quite a surprise this morning to see heavy snow by 08:00! It snowed for 4 hours or so, but it only settled on top of ice patches left from the weekend's snow. I get the feeling that if it had been 1-2 degrees colder there'd have been a significant snow event today. I'm hopeful for tomorrow, but I doubt there'll be any more than 2-4cm at low levels. Luckily there doesn't look to be much back edge rain following the snow s the thaw might take a while.

Just as long as its gone by Friday, I intend to get to the Lakes whistling.gif

Edited by alza

Posted

By the way there a few snow showers which could just about clip the Teesside coast, maybe giving a dusting there this evening.

Posted

By the way there a few snow showers which could just about clip the Teesside coast, maybe giving a dusting there this evening.

COME ON !!!! WHEN WILL THEY HIT IF THEY DO?

Posted

COME ON !!!! WHEN WILL THEY HIT IF THEY DO?

I think you're too far inland, the very extreme coastal strip may get some at any time this evening.

Posted

I think you're too far inland, the very extreme coastal strip may get some at any time this evening.

Damn (N) anyways there is still hope! blush.gif

Posted

Damn (N) anyways there is still hope! blush.gif

You're not missing much as they're fairly insignificant, though I'm still tracking them so I can test my new Netweather radar subscription properly rolleyes.gif

Posted

You're not missing much as they're fairly insignificant, though I'm still tracking them so I can test my new Netweather radar subscription properly rolleyes.gif

I know but a dusting before the main course tommorrow wouldnt go a miss. whistling.gif

Posted

I know but a dusting before the main course tommorrow wouldnt go a miss. whistling.gif

I know, but be prepared that the main course is being served by a trainee waiter, so it may be dropped on the floor and therefore you might not get to see it! rofl.gif

That must be the worst analogy I've ever done, but basically my thoughts on tomorrow are that I don't have any. If I had to guess I'd say that most places will see 2-4cm at low levels, with the high ground seeing anything between 5cm and 10cm. Low levels could see 4-8cm, but that's an outside possibility at the moment. It'll be a nowcasting situation I think, using the radar :cc_confused:

Posted

I know, but be prepared that the main course is being served by a trainee waiter, so it may be dropped on the floor and therefore you might not get to see it! rofl.gif

That must be the worst analogy I've ever done, but basically my thoughts on tomorrow are that I don't have any. If I had to guess I'd say that most places will see 2-4cm at low levels, with the high ground seeing anything between 5cm and 10cm. Low levels could see 4-8cm, but that's an outside possibility at the moment. It'll be a nowcasting situation I think, using the radar biggrin.gif

What time is it due to hit us? ill be in school and wont get in till 3:50?

Posted

What time is it due to hit us? ill be in school and wont get in till 3:50?

Again, radar watching needed. Anytime between 3 and half 5 I would say whistling.gif

Posted

Again, radar watching needed. Anytime between 3 and half 5 I would say whistling.gif

Okay :) Are them showers still going to hit the coast and maybe although small possibility hit me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I assumed those showers would stay offshore but they are coming a little closer for now, so perhaps some flurries along the coastal extremities of Tyne & Wear and into Teeside. I expect nothing like what happened last Friday though.

Posted

I assumed those showers would stay offshore but they are coming a little closer for now, so perhaps some flurries along the coastal extremities of Tyne & Wear and into Teeside. I expect nothing like what happened last Friday though.

Hopefully ill get an unexpected dusting! whistling.gif

Posted

Those showers are frustratingly close to making landfall diablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

It looks like the small group of showers may just clip Tyneside / Wearside / Teeside, but I think N.Yorks are in the firing line for the larger of the group.

Cetainly nothing like last Saturday early hours. That will take some beating. When I looked out at 2.30am it was the heaviest fine snow I have seen for a long time.

Posted

Hi Thundery wintry showers - As most of the time you seem spot on.

Can you give us some info regarding this beast from the east and where the next cold spell may come from, although it makes for interesting reading in the model discussion thread, its starting to get a little tideous reading comments, such as the beast from the east is on the way or lets get the t-shirts out here comes the mild weather. I've been reading comments for the past 4 weeks now, with users saying the beast is on its way, is it me or are we just in a typical winter now, with the odd cold snap being thrown in and would I be right in thinking as the days grow longer and winter draws to a close, the days of a beast from the east become further and further less likely?

thanks again dave.

Posted

Those showers are frustratingly close to making landfall diablo.gif

Do yu think i may get some now biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Hi Thundery wintry showers - As most of the time you seem spot on.

Can you give us some info regarding this beast from the east and where the next cold spell may come from, although it makes for interesting reading in the model discussion thread, its starting to get a little tideous reading comments, such as the beast from the east is on the way or lets get the t-shirts out here comes the mild weather. I've been reading comments for the past 4 weeks now, with users saying the beast is on its way, is it me or are we just in a typical winter now, with the odd cold snap being thrown in and would I be right in thinking as the days grow longer and winter draws to a close, the days of a beast from the east become further and further less likely?

thanks again dave.

My current feeling is that the possible easterly for next week is looking very unlikely- the Atlantic is simply too strong and the blocking will end up in the wrong places- high pressure to NW and NE but low pressure to the W and SW firing in mild south-westerlies.

Towards mid-February the low pressure is likely to drift eastwards and some Atlantic blocking may follow behind giving a significant probability of some kind of northerly or north-easterly outbreak, perhaps lasting a few days or so. I think it is towards the middle of Feb when there may be another helping of the white stuff.

As the days grow longer the continent warms up and so an easterly becomes more likely to be dull and damp rather than bright and showery, and also far less likely to be cold enough for snow. However, an easterly with a "northerly" source (say, sourced over NE Scandinavia) can still be very cold and bring many snow showers- if anyone can remember March 2001, that month provided a couple of good examples on the 1st/2nd and the 17th-20th.

Posted

My current feeling is that the possible easterly for next week is looking very unlikely- the Atlantic is simply too strong and the blocking will end up in the wrong places- high pressure to NW and NE but low pressure to the W and SW firing in mild south-westerlies.

Towards mid-February the low pressure is likely to drift eastwards and some Atlantic blocking may follow behind giving a significant probability of some kind of northerly or north-easterly outbreak, perhaps lasting a few days or so. I think it is towards the middle of Feb when there may be another helping of the white stuff.

As the days grow longer the continent warms up and so an easterly becomes more likely to be dull and damp rather than bright and showery, and also far less likely to be cold enough for snow. However, an easterly with a "northerly" source (say, sourced over NE Scandinavia) can still be very cold and bring many snow showers- if anyone can remember March 2001, that month provided a couple of good examples on the 1st/2nd and the 17th-20th.

Thanks for the reply TWS

I agree, in the past ( recent years ) the best chance of seeing the white stuff has been the end of Febuary and early March. I remember Feb 27th 2002, Waking up to inches of snow, I know this because it was the weekend Boro won the Carling cup Final, I was walking to catch the bus to Middlesbrough with the snow blasting in my face lol. As soon as we left the North East not a cm of snow or cold, a lovely weekend in Bristol. Also in recent years there has been snow on my Birthday March 14th, although it doesn't last long, getting me onto my next point, surely if any spell of cold is to arrive it needs to arrive in the next week or so, the more the days pass the less likely it will stay. I also prefare Northerly blast as to the Direct blast from the east.

Edited by dave79

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

It looks like the small group of showers may just clip Tyneside / Wearside / Teeside, but I think N.Yorks are in the firing line for the larger of the group.

Cetainly nothing like last Saturday early hours. That will take some beating. When I looked out at 2.30am it was the heaviest fine snow I have seen for a long time.

The showers are now falling apart, never thought they'd come ashore here but i thought N york moors would have had a few cm but alas not to be. As for tomorrow its looking like the front coming in wont produce much in the way of ppn east of the Pennines, stalling and weakening as it approaches, but tomorrows another day we'll just have to wait and see....