Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

So is this polar low going to hit us ?

At this rate I need more than a polar low, its still lashing down here, why is it up the coast they see snow and its laying and as usual we get the rubbish :cold:

Posted

At this rate I need more than a polar low, its still lashing down here, why is it up the coast they see snow and its laying and as usual we get the rubbish :cold:

There is no polar low. They are rare beasts indeed, I believe the last seen in the UK was several years ago. The feature you are on about is a trough, nowhere near as exciting as a polar low.

Polar lows are not really forecastable further than 36 hrs out, and rarely more than 100 mile across, commonly 30-50 miles only. They can appear almost in an instant, in unstable Northerly flows and move in a Southerly direction. They can dump HUGE amounts of snow in a short space of time, causing tremendous disruption and can be very dangerous.

Put it this way, you'll know about it if you ever experience one, must admit I would love to see another one move down the North Sea this winter. If the charts for next week verify, we will have the conditions in which they can form, so fingers crossed.

Karl

Posted

a big elongated stream comming in north of Blyth now,looks like a prolonged bullseye for here.its rain over the sea then turning to sleet a few miles inland.once it gets up here it's huge bonny wet flakes lol.

looks like it's merged now,bullseye for consett.

it's your heavy industry and microclimate.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

At this rate I need more than a polar low, its still lashing down here, why is it up the coast they see snow and its laying and as usual we get the rubbish :wallbash:

No snow here right on the coast, lots of wintry ppn (sleet, hail and cold rain). Very wet, windy and pretty miserable outdoors. Temperature is over 3°C and dp's are around 2°C so at the moment coastal areas will continue with rain, sleet and hail, not that i'm suprised given the upper temps and wind off the 'relatively' warm sea. Well we did get a good deluge a few weeks back so glad to see inland areas getting it this time, although probably not getting the amounts the coast recieved then. (almost 4" in 2 hours)...

Posted

No snow here right on the coast, lots of wintry ppn (sleet, hail and cold rain). Very wet, windy and pretty miserable outdoors. Temperature is over 3°C and dp's are around 2°C so at the moment coastal areas will continue with rain, sleet and hail, not that i'm suprised given the upper temps and wind off the 'relatively' warm sea. Well we did get a good deluge a few weeks back so glad to see inland areas getting it this time, although probably not getting the amounts the coast recieved then. (almost 4" in 2 hours)...

i got pasted up here,and we had 35 days of snowcover.where's the daffodils lol.

still got 10ft piles in Morrisons carpark.should be gone by june though.

Edited by peterf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

i got pasted up here,and we had 35 days of snowcover.where's the daffodils lol.

still got 10ft piles in Morrisons carpark.should be gone by june though.

Still some in the car parks in Stanley too.

In some form, I have seen snow every day since 17th December, but that is counting dirty piles in car parks.

Heavy shower here now.

Next week looks interesting, a bit messy but the sort of setup which could give some of us some big dumpings!

Posted

A couple of inches of snow cover here this morning off the overnight snow.

The usual chaos on the roads,my sister was 40 minutes late for work,luckily i have the day off.:)

Posted

Looks like we might have fun and games up here next week if the updated Meto forecast veryfies, and there's no reason why it shouldn't.

Break out the snow shovels !!

Karl :rolleyes:

Posted

Looks like we might have fun and games up here next week if the updated Meto forecast veryfies, and there's no reason why it shouldn't.

Break out the snow shovels !!

Karl :rolleyes:

lets hope so, interesting that the current temp here is 3 degrees and the dewpoint is the lowest its been for a while its now -3, as night approaches hopefully we'll see some snow showers pop up, whats the forecast looking like tonight in terms of snow, light snow showers here apparantly.

Posted

Temp 1.8 here but dew point must be way down as the odd snow flake is the dry powdery type. Lazy wind, doesn't go round you goes straight through you!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Today im sure the weather was laughing at me!

It snow 5 times today for around 5minuites - 20minuiutes a shower and all left a covering but melted straight after wallbash.gif lol any snow coming tonight because if it does it wont melt :yahoo:

Posted

Looks like the showers in the North Sea are starting to pep up and head towards us. The difference over last night is that if they get here they should all be snow and lie away from the coast.

Karl

Posted

The met and bbc predict these showers to die out but they are pepping up and heading straight for me just as night descends.....

And Met office now issued a warning....

North East England: Darlington Hartlepool Middlesbrough Redcar + Cleveland Stockton-on-TeesWidespread Icy Roads1915 Wed 101000 Thu 11Following Wednesday's snow showers widespread ice is expected to form on untreated surfaces during Wednesday evening, Wednesday night and into Thursday morning. In addition to this further snow showers are expected to give accumulations of a centimetre or two in places.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on road conditions on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1714 Wed 10 Feb

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Moderate Snow here now drinks.gif Starting to give a dusting COMEON!!!! who sed dry easterly ? whistling.gif

TYPICAL the first time today the snow hasnt layed properly it is the best time aswell it would stay wallbash.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Is it me or those showers straight on target for us? What are they expected to fall as etc?

Posted

Is it me or those showers straight on target for us? What are they expected to fall as etc?

I'm watching them as well, likely to be marginal I'm afraid. I wouldn't rule out rain to lower ground in eastern areas but a wintry mixture is likely, further inland with elevation snow is likely. The showers are heavier than suggested by the Met office and GFS so this could help with snow for you, I would say 20% chance of snow, 20% chance of rain and 60% chance of a wintry mixture.

Whats your current temperature?

Posted

I'm watching them as well, likely to be marginal I'm afraid. I wouldn't rule out rain to lower ground in eastern areas but a wintry mixture is likely, further inland with elevation snow is likely. The showers are heavier than suggested by the Met office and GFS so this could help with snow for you, I would say 20% chance of snow, 20% chance of rain and 60% chance of a wintry mixture.

Whats your current temperature?

Not sure mate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Yes there is a is a bank of showers which have formed the last couple of hours which seem to be heading for our region. The wind is forcast to change direction from NW to NE so they could head inland. See link to 19.45 radar with arrows indicating direction of travel.

Its cold enough now, having been a 4c at 17.00 is now 0c. My concern would be that when the wind comes off the sea it will warm making it sleet a lower levels......

radar1930.jpg

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted

Not sure mate

Found a accurate weather station for Stockton On Tees

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ISTOCKTO2

Your current temperature is 2.3c with a dew point of -0.4c

Posted

Found a accurate weather station for Stockton On Tees

http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=ISTOCKTO2

Your current temperature is 2.3c with a dew point of -0.4c

Marginal Then whistling.gif showers will drag down the dp and cud make it just snow side of the borderline close run thing though