Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Looking 50/50 now. Temp down to -0.5c and showers still heading this way....

Lucky you i probs will see rain temp now 2.6C and dew point -0.2C

Posted

Those showers are heading straight for me I'm just worried about the temperature could anybody tell me whether the temperature in Washington is right for me to see snow.

I've got a good feeling about it but don't have a weather station to check.

EDIT: Still got a clear sky now (9pm exactly) so might be waiting longer than 15 minutes. Anyway I wait in anticipation but looking at a 70/30 against snow imo.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Here is the 19.30 Vs 20.30 radar. They seem to be heading in a more southerly direction than I first thought and the northerly edge may just clip me. looking good the further south and east of Newcastle you are. Should be hitting the coastal areas in the next 15 mins. Its started to cloud over here and the temp has rocketed to 1.5c, so it look like rain for sure.

730vs830.jpg

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted

Heavy sleet showers here in lower Consett is it snow on the tops? Just asking as I'm lying in bed ill! Looking messy for next week, nowcasting seems the best form of forcasting as models for weeks now cannot agree.lazy.gif

Posted

If we do have a wide scale snow event it will be during the school half term, depending on your opinion this is either excellent or terrible. I'm a bit of both, I love the snow and don't really mind when it falls but would also not mind the days off school the week after so if we could see Washington D.C scale snow there both guaranteed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Tuesday and Wednesday could turn very interesting around here, if it snows it will be very marginal, but higher ground could get some large accumulations, and lower ground could get some too?

The 850s look very marginal at -4 to -5, but in heavy precipitation wet snow could make it down to lower levels.

Thickness will be less than 528 DAM but only just, so that suggests wet snow.

Temperatures will be the main problem, we need them to drop rapidly as the lower 850 and thickness values move in, otherwise it'll simply be too warm for snow regardless of anything else.

Personally I think there's a chance of some heavy snow this week at low levels, and heavy snow is likely on higher ground. After Wednesday more snow possibilities may arise, the GFS 6z shows a heavy snow event for the NE on Friday, but we need to get Tuesday and Wednesday out the way before we go on the hunt for more snow. Also, this week will rely on nowcasting, and snow depths will be almost impossible to predict, if there are any.

Edited by alza

Posted

Wow its quiet in here considering this week's potential! Tuesday and Wednesday could still see some snow, but I think the front will be too far S/E now when it stalls. However, areas of precipitation are likely to pop up as we're going to be quite close to the centre of the low all week. Then there is increasing confidence for some very heavy precipitation towards the end of the week, and whilst it would be marginal, a low pressure system just off the coast is the best way for us to get a severe snow event. February 1978 had this, and a foot fell widely, though that was far less marginal than the coming week. All this week there is the chance of some marginal snow events, but they'll pop up at very short notice if they come along.

Posted

Is it me or we could end up into many surprise blizzards this week? clap.gif I am after now is a long period of snow now I want my 8hours beaten! drunk.gif

Posted

Is it me or we could end up into many surprise blizzards this week? clap.gif I am after now is a long period of snow now I want my 8hours beaten! drunk.gif

Not sure we'll get blizzards anywhere in the NE this week, proper blizzards are hard to comer by. However, I do believe that snow will fall every day this week, just not everywhere. Some places will get it every day, others won't. Wrt precip, I don't think you can expect high accumulations anywhere other than if you've got height, for instance Consett may be a good place to sledge by mid week. Come the end of the week it looks like we MAY end up with colder air moving in, removing the marginallity and this COULD result in some of the snowiest weather seen for years. It's a million miles away atm however, a very exciting week coming up, I expect this regional thread to be very busy all week with reports of sleet, snow, rain, in fact anything could happen at any time, sometimes without much warning, in my eyes the most exciting kind of weather. The radar will be worn out by Friday lol.

Enjoy what's coming,

Karl

Posted

Just seen this from the Meto, I'd be surprised if rain and sleet gave significant snowfall!!!

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Mostly rather cloudy with further rain and sleet at times and with a risk of some significant snowfall in places. Remaining rather cold.

Updated: 0341 on Sun 14 Feb 2010

Edited by alza

Posted

Just seen this from the Meto, I'd be surprised if rain and sleet gave significant snowfall!!!

Now that is covering your back and contradicting yaself! whistling.gif

Posted

Now that is covering your back and contradicting yaself! whistling.gif

I think it proves that no one knows what's going to happen though. :rofl:

Posted

I think it proves that no one knows what's going to happen though. smile.gif

Yes i agree but they should have put a wintry mix is forcast with low confidence instead of that rubbish lol

Posted

i cant see anything of concequence on the latest charts.i'll wait for the 12z to see if there's much change.

bbc website is a joke.

the forecast video

Last updated at 19:29, Friday 12 February

Forecast updated Monday to Friday only

very poor show by the beeb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

i cant see anything of concequence on the latest charts.i'll wait for the 12z to see if there's much change.

bbc website is a joke.

the forecast video

Last updated at 19:29, Friday 12 February

Forecast updated Monday to Friday only

very poor show by the beeb.

That's the regional video, the national one normally updates quite regular.

Looks like we won't do as well as some to our north and south in the next couple of days, but I still think higher parts like Consett will see some snow and maybe a covering.

After that still changing a lot on each run, but there is a chance of heavy snow towards the end of the week, with high ground most at risk.

Hopefully there will be a chance of snow at low levels too, it would be nice to get this thread busy again.

Posted

That's the regional video, the national one normally updates quite regular.

Looks like we won't do as well as some to our north and south in the next couple of days, but I still think higher parts like Consett will see some snow and maybe a covering.

After that still changing a lot on each run, but there is a chance of heavy snow towards the end of the week, with high ground most at risk.

Hopefully there will be a chance of snow at low levels too, it would be nice to get this thread busy again.

exactly my point Mark,the regional forecasts are always head and shoulders above the nationals.

it's not much to ask them to update it on a monday morning.

another thing,the location option is a waste of time.type in Consett and you get the forecast for the toon.

the topography and climate up here is a million miles different to Newcastle.

so all in all i think it's a very poor effort.

Edited by peterf

Posted

Dusting of snow overnight. The weather has been very benign for over a month now. A few light falls of snow, but still awaiting some severe weather, heavy falls of snow have been lacking here this winter