Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

Maybe the showers are later than expected? I don't know maybe somebody can clear this up?

nope - weren't coming till at least after midnight anyway at the earliest for southerly areas

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I was just thinking to myself now while watching the bbc weather online broadcaste and i remeber about 2 years ago the minumum values that is -1 -2 was just said at that, now they say in the towns and cities rural spots will be a few degrees colder than that, and they have become more keen to use this phrase expecially during the last few months, a change of the times maybe? anyone else notice this also?

Posted

I was just thinking to myself now while watching the bbc weather online broadcaste and i remeber about 2 years ago the minumum values that is -1 -2 was just said at that, now they say in the towns and cities rural spots will be a few degrees colder than that, and they have become more keen to use this phrase expecially during the last few months, a change of the times maybe? anyone else notice this also?

I can assure you, there's been no editorial dictat on this for us at BBC Weather - albeit some of us, when the areal distinction is suitably profound, make a point of only showing rural minima, not urban ones.

However, bear in mind most listeners / viewers are within the urban bounds and so the use of values in those areas is no different to the TV/ Online forecast protocol you'd see in the USA, Australia or indeed anywhere else.

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted

I can assure you, there's been no editorial dictat on this for us at BBC Weather - albeit some of us, when the areal distinction is suitably profound, make a point of only showing rural minima, not urban ones.

However, bear in mind most listeners / viewers are within the urban bounds and so the use of values in those areas is no different to the TV/ Online forecast protocol you'd see in the USA, Australia or indeed anywhere else.

Thanks Ian, No don't get me wrong I'm not slating the Bbc for it I think it's a good thing that they note that tempreatures are likely to be lower in rural lying areas :drinks:. The showers seem to die as the move south? they wont be that intense then will they :/

Posted

Hi Ian - you got anymore info regarding the tussel the models are having at the mo regarding the blocking scenarios you'd like to share with us?

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Out and about in Wales today - crossed the Brecon Beacons where at 12pm the temperature was minus 1 and on to Newquay in Cardigan - never getting above 4 degrees all day. Stupidly got off the main road between Lampeter and Synod Inn to take photos and ended up sliding 40 yds down a hill unable to stop - no damage to any one but learnt a lesson - any how - although we only had a light dusting where I was in the Rhymney Valley - looks like those further West had more to shout about - with more snow coming in over the sea while we were in Newquay - all photos taken today first couple in Brecon, third one just above Synod Inn and the last one on the beach in Newquay - you can see the Clouds full of something on the beach and the snow capped peaks of the Lleyn Peninsula in the background - hopefully more snow to come tommorow so can get out and about again.

Good glad you saw a bit of snow. Think thats Cader Idris near Dolgellau, rather than the Lleyn which is usually snow free.

Edit: Upon further inspection could be Pumlymon, east of Aberystwyth, as that lines up behind Aberaeron from Newquay, not Cader Idris. The Lleyn is visible to the NW over Cardigan Bay.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Good glad you saw a bit of snow. Think that Cader Idris near Dolgellau, rather than the Llyn which is usually snow free.

yeah - the start of snowdonia national park! - another beautiful part of Wales (anybody think I worked for the tourist board munn)

Edited by andymusic

Posted

How come you've quoted your post lol? Isit to remind people?

No pressure on me then. :cold:

Not many showers really expected before midnight for southern areas, so not worth waiting up tonight.

There is more in the way of showery activity expected for early Sunday, with showers developing later. A trough is expected during the morning, and this is likely to give more widespread sleet and snow tomorrow morning, with more wintry showers expected daytime on Sunday than was the case for Saturday.

Maybe the showers are later than expected? I don't know maybe somebody can clear this up?

The showers were always expect later tonight, and it now looks as if they will be early morning for southern areas, as a trough pushes south, the showers may well continue throughout the morning according to a few models.

How come you've quoted your post lol? Isit to remind people?

Saved me saying the same thing again. :cold: Especially when the question has already been asked.

Posted

The showers were always expect later tonight, and it now looks as if they will be early morning for southern areas, as a trough pushes south, the showers may well continue throughout the morning according to a few models.

Saved me saying the same thing again. :cold: Especially when the question has already been asked.

Haha Dyn Gall (Clever Man)

Any snow should settle straight with no problem like yesterday's palava, Trouble with it coming in the morning is it will find it harder to settle than coming during the night, if it came say now and stopped at 5ish and then froze solid it would make the snow cover retain for alot longer.

Posted

Nice heavy shower just north of here will just miss, with further ones training off the Bay. -3c.

Posted

looks like the snow showers are starting to get organised now ready for an assault on the rest of wales (south and mid)

Posted

Showers seem allinged now in semi bands, trouble is they are loosing intensity when they get to ceredigion/cambrian mountains

Posted

Showers seem allinged now in semi bands, trouble is they are loosing intensity when they get to ceredigion/cambrian mountains

one nice looking shower seems to be making it's way over towards south east wales now - got alot of mountain area to cross mind but it seems to be expanding rather than contracting at the mo!

Posted

Showers activity revving up now, one line might be heading to me... probably vanish into the ether though by then.

ain't it wierd that a couple of weeks ago we had the mother of all blizzards with 3ft drifts etc and now we're concentrating on a poxy shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!crazy.gif

ain't it wierd that a couple of weeks ago we had the mother of all blizzards with 3ft drifts etc and now we're concentrating on a poxy shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!crazy.gif

True... no guarantee of more snow though if some models are right.... so I'm going to try to make the most out of whatever comes now.

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

I'd rather have poxy snow showers than rain and clear nights ! they can give a nice covvering and excites many people who don't follow the forecasts at all. i can't belive how many people don't watch the weather forecasts. My mother said to me yesterday there's no way we'll get any snow overnight - it's too clear and frosty ) only to be greeted with lying snow this morning, only a dusting but still pretty to many and also something to get the excitement back after all this model watching...it's doing my head in.

Any showers of snow ill do me, worth waiting for especially as they can be very intense and great to watch under the lamp post

Posted

Well this is turning into a no show for us here, anyone else had snow?

Posted

heavy snow here, looks like its been on and off all night as its quite deep out there

Posted

Well this is turning into a no show for us here, anyone else had snow?

nothing fallen here either but its very cold,looks like it could be a nice sunny day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Hard frost here, nothing more. Dark clouds encrouching from northeast but not expecting a thing today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

snowing very lightly here

Posted

we must aver had a fleeting shower can see little flakes around still very poor!