Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

see below.

Edited by marclt

Ground Hog Day is tomorrow in America - be interesting to see what Punxsutawney Phil does - an American holiday event

According to folklore, if a groundhog emerging from its burrow on this day fails to see its shadow, it will leave the burrow, signifying that winter will soon end. If on the other hand, the groundhog sees its shadow, the groundhog will supposedly retreat into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks.[

As per the film.

Posted

OOPS! Did I open a can of worms!?

not to worry... let's just hope for some cold air! Pretty chilly in carmarthen at the moment... all that cold air to be pushed away in the next few hours...

Maybe a bit of snow tonight on the warm front's leading edge??

Posted

Feb 8th is now being called Andy Music day in work - Keep the faith

On a seperate note - Andy you must have had a -12 at your elevation this winter - I've had -11 down here a few times already. Was talking to the bacon roll guy on the Beacons on Saturday and he told me they had had -16 registered (I had a black cat but he had a panther if you know what I mean)

Posted

was only a slight fly in the ointment with the atlantic low - seems the models are all now going for the blocking cold to win now - we are also possibly gonna get snow for a major part of wednesday this week - defo inland and east wales anyway - but could be anywhere in Wales - so short term looking good too - cold right now is never gonna be far away that's for sure

Still cant see andy where you get the possibilities of snow for wednesday with temps 6c to 10c , granted scotland and the neast could see a fair bit of snow.

Posted

Still cant see andy where you get the possibilities of snow for wednesday with temps 6c to 10c , granted scotland and the neast could see a fair bit of snow.

The beeb are going for snow in north east wales on wednesday (but they keep saying on all the forecasts they aren't totally sure about that - could go either way then) - GFS is showing temps around south east wales of -1 at 6am and 0 or 1 the rest of the day on wednesday - Think this will be a last minute nowcast when temps/dewpoints have been confirmed etc

rart_10020306_0112.gif?28417e51647e01ee503e16975baf3d19

Rtavn4217.png

Rtavn4817.png

Rtavn5417.png

Edited by andymusic

Posted

On a seperate note - Andy you must have had a -12 at your elevation this winter - I've had -11 down here a few times already. Was talking to the bacon roll guy on the Beacons on Saturday and he told me they had had -16 registered (I had a black cat but he had a panther if you know what I mean)

Thanks very much Steve - it's looking good right now with the latest ECM info - a beasterly easterly in the offing and looking quite severe

Posted

The beeb are going for snow in north east wales on wednesday (but they keep saying on all the forecasts they aren't totally sure about that - could go either way then) - GFS is showing temps around south east wales of -1 at 6am and 0 or 1 the rest of the day on wednesday - Think this will be a last minute nowcast when temps/dewpoints have been confirmed etc

rart_10020306_0112.gif?28417e51647e01ee503e16975baf3d19

Rtavn4217.png

Rtavn4817.png

Rtavn5417.png

Andy

FSXX00T_48.jpg

See andy swesterley wind behind the warm front !

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Andy

FSXX00T_48.jpg

See andy swesterley wind behind the warm front !

Rtavn362.png

-5 line uppers coming close to south wales - room for improvement as well - agreed it's a warm front coming in but it'll be touch and go

Posted

Whilst i respect Andy,and his endless optimism,i really cant see any meaningful snow for south wales this week,even at my height.Cant rule out the odd flake in the heavier showers but ground temps will be way too high for anything to settle.I'll be really happy if im wrong,though!!!

Next week however.....................

Posted

Whilst i respect Andy,and his endless optimism,i really cant see any meaningful snow for south wales this week,even at my height.Cant rule out the odd flake in the heavier showers but ground temps will be way too high for anything to settle.I'll be really happy if im wrong,though!!!

Next week however.....................

GFS 18z is slowly coming around to the BBC's idea now of the snow being slightly further north on wednesday - still an outside chance of something - and next week - well it could be WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

i just came in from taking the kids to netball and everyone was saying coming out how much warmer it is tonight,and they were all in shorts lol,i also dont think there will be any snow for wales this week,maybe on top of brecon but cannot see it anywere else at all but it does look better for the long term( well maybe) i think its up in the air and could go either way.

i hope it goes back to the cold and we get snow but if not i want summer to arrive faster and stay longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Good evening everyone :)

I guess this week will be wet with limited snow for some areas :whistling: Is the cold air going to make a comeback next week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

looks pretty good for cold from next sun/mon (according to the fellas that knowm their stuff on the model thread).

Not sure about weds this week tho. Not looking good atm.

Posted

looks pretty good for cold from next sun/mon (according to the fellas that knowm their stuff on the model thread).

Not sure about weds this week tho. Not looking good atm.

Inland and upland areas have an outside chance wednesday but next week could well be the prize!

I don't think there will be much snow this week for South Wales, apart form leading edge snow on the hills. As for the weekend and into next week, after the huge turn around in the models in the past 48 hours, who knows.

Posted

Inland and upland areas have an outside chance wednesday but next week could well be the prize!

Nothing will grind Ansy music down,you cannot put this man down!

I think he is single handedly keeping our winter cold, without him our winter would have slipped into ,mildness a long time ago.

If there was a hats off emoticon then it woud have been posted here...( ).

Ok the minus 12 was a oversight but hey it could well happen, the forecast of snow at plus 8 could well happen, that plus 8 may well be plus 2 or 3 going on the crazy models at the moment, and bear in mind that is generally a lower land forecast.

If there was one person, you would put on the end of mumbles pier to ward off the beast from the west it would be andy music.

Ok he would have to turn towards the sw to start with but, can you imagine the atlantic system standing up to this behemoth?

The atlantic system will wilt and melt like prok pie jelly when confronted by Andymusic.

I hereby give Andy music one inch of fallen snow from my garden in honour of his services to this winter so far.

Posted

Nothing will grind Ansy music down,you cannot put this man down!

I think he is single handedly keeping our winter cold, without him our winter would have slipped into ,mildness a long time ago.

If there was a hats off emoticon then it woud have been posted here...( ).

Ok the minus 12 was a oversight but hey it could well happen, the forecast of snow at plus 8 could well happen, that plus 8 may well be plus 2 or 3 going on the crazy models at the moment, and bear in mind that is generally a lower land forecast.

If there was one person, you would put on the end of mumbles pier to ward off the beast from the west it would be andy music.

Ok he would have to turn towards the sw to start with but, can you imagine the atlantic system standing up to this behemoth?

The atlantic system will wilt and melt like prok pie jelly when confronted by Andymusic.

I hereby give Andy music one inch of fallen snow from my garden in honour of his services to this winter so far.

I thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! - consider mumbles pier defended

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Judgement day is nigh.

Andy music day.

Andy may have to stand trial for severe weather crimes.

Such charges include :-

1. Predicting -12 in the face of an incoming south westerly.

2. Predicting snow with temperatures forecast to be 8 plus degrees celsius.

3. Insisting that the beasterly would begin from the 25th january 2010 and once again on the 8th of February.

4. Raising hopes to the ill informed coldies that heavy snow would most definatly be on its way.

I hope for Andy sake he does not have to stand trial, as his commitment has been immense.

Lets hope Andy is right.