Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

well as much as I gotta say this - sat images from the meto site are showing this system now moving through pretty quickly - also from the radar images the beacons are getting the lion's share of the precip as we seem to be suffering from a snow shield around Ponty - so - I think we await the next event folks - GFS showing some early morning activity for tomorrow in west wales and then possible snow and cold for tuesday night into wednesday after a slightly milder day in the day tuesday!

The precipitation has reached Caerphilly. Very light and rain-like at the moment.

Is this likely to be heavy here? Only that we are going for lunch at sister-in-law's in a bit and brother-in-law has to drive to England somewhere tonight and we may be able to get away from there earlier if we tell them he'll have to get away early to miss the 2 foot drifts (or is that wishfull thinking - both the drifts but mainly the getting away from there early)

wouldn't worry - 2mm drifts ain't gonna happen either!

Posted

well as much as I gotta say this - sat images from the meto site are showing this system now moving through pretty quickly - also from the radar images the beacons are getting the lion's share of the precip as we seem to be suffering from a snow shield around Ponty - so - I think we await the next event folks - GFS showing some early morning activity for tomorrow in west wales and then possible snow and cold for tuesday night into wednesday after a slightly milder day in the day tuesday!

wouldn't worry - 2mm drifts ain't gonna happen either!

It's dying out lol.

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

12:53 - just starting a light flurry in the Rhymney Valley - c'mon snow do your thing could do with another day off tommorrow

Hi Steve,

Yup - nice flakes here in Bargoed - I don't think we going to get a day off though - not supposed to last long and the ground temp is a bit too warm. However, would be nice to be wrong! Make the most of this as from what the charts have been showing not much more to come this week!

JK

Posted

Hi Steve,

Yup - nice flakes here in Bargoed - I don't think we going to get a day off though - not supposed to last long and the ground temp is a bit too warm. However, would be nice to be wrong! Make the most of this as from what the charts have been showing not much more to come this week!

JK

I wouldn't say that GFS 06z has got some great cold/snowy possiblities from tuesday night onwards for this week

Posted

Thanks. It's stopped here already, wasn't even those 2mm. Ah well, I'd best go and join the family for lunch.

Posted

snowing in Ponty - here we go - finally - only lightly - seems the main track of the showers is to the east of us

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Very fine snow now and although there's a slight covering,ground temps are too high for it to settle for any length of time,imo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Have had some very small snow falling very very lightly here but to hear that there is rain in Cardiff. That can't hold well for when it arrives here :crazy:.

Posted

Latest news regarding Climate change (global warming) - a theory I don't agree with - the enviroment agency are warning that the government wants everyone to turn off their xmas display lights over night!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see the next plan already - my girlfriend will be able to use her car and I'll be able to use mine only on alternate days of the week! - this is getting mental!

They'll have us living in caves before the end of the century is out and then find out that the earth warms and cools in cycles naturally!

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Raining here now was snow earlier

Posted

I thought it's meant to get milder?

Not defo yet - GFS is showing more snowy fun from tuesday night onwards through to friday - could be good for cardiff too as the snow is coming up from the south - a better direction as it doesn't have to get over all those mountains to deliver

Posted

I thought it's meant to get milder?

The MO would have us believe it is going to get milder, and only colder towards the end of the week after next... So are we getting an easterly by the end of this week or not??

West seems best for snow this weekend as yesterday's falls over parts of Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire are still there, lovely and white!

Posted

The MO would have us believe it is going to get milder, and only colder towards the end of the week after next... So are we getting an easterly by the end of this week or not??

West seems best for snow this weekend as yesterday's falls over parts of Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire are still there, lovely and white!

the cold will ease going into tuesday but will plunge back down from the north tuesday into wednesday with the atlantic low coming in up against it - the detail will not be known as to how the cold will affect the low - but it could mean we get quite a bit of snow if the north easterly blocking holds fast - we should know more going into tomorrow - knife edge situation

Posted

Latest news regarding Climate change (global warming) - a theory I don't agree with - the enviroment agency are warning that the government wants everyone to turn off their xmas display lights over night!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see the next plan already - my girlfriend will be able to use her car and I'll be able to use mine only on alternate days of the week! - this is getting mental!

They'll have us living in caves before the end of the century is out and then find out that the earth warms and cools in cycles naturally!

They should turn the Christmas lights off at night, In Leeds they do.

Posted

Maybe someone could tell my local tescos to turn the car park lights off in the day!!!!

Looking forward to some more white sticky flakes on tuesday night!! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

They should turn the Christmas lights off at night, In Leeds they do.

Yes they should, even if GW were not true! Why be wasteful and polluting for the sake of it.

Posted

Yes they should, even if GW were not true! Why be wasteful and polluting for the sake of it.

I agree with not being wasteful but it seems like a trend to me to continue to erode our freedoms and enjoyment of life today for the sake of something that's still not proven - I always switch off a light in a room I'm not using to save energy - but xmas lights are part of our traditions for brightening up our gloomy country in the shorter days and nights in winter!