Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

Yeah i knew it was going to die out, but didn't expect it to die out completley just as it hit me. BBC even has snow progged for here around 6pm.. Maybe they will be right?

Back from our walk completely dry! Can't take all this excitement followed by nothing - I'm off to lie down in a darkened room for a while....... :lol:

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Yep that sure did die out quickly looking at the radar backtrack, quite impressive really it has to be said, esp compared with three hours ago, now just light precip about and even thats becoming increasingly patchy.

GFS does suggest there will be some showers coming in Friday afternoon as well which may give at least some brief fun?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

If to be believed the HGS 12z night minimum temperatures suggest alot of snow on the ground - either that or it's having one of it's turns again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Sure hope you're right KW.

It's a mixture here of light rain and soft hail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Very light snow here, doubt we'll get much more than that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Whats the chances of me getting snow in the next couple of days?

Posted

Whats the chances of me getting snow in the next couple of days?

chance yeah, but very unlikely in my opinion. I still think spring has sprung here in the Northwest, just the last grit of winter poking really, but nothing for us planned of any major event, but that could change :lol:

Posted

chance yeah, but very unlikely in my opinion. I still think spring has sprung here in the Northwest, just the last grit of winter poking really, but nothing for us planned of any major event, but that could change :whistling:

I guess it depends on where you are, it doesn't appear to have sprung for me yet!

Posted

Being optimistic but BBC has heavy snow day and night for my area on Monday. Let the upgrades downgrades begin diablo.gif

Posted

Just looked outside and its snowing. Doubt it will stick or last but least its something! Looked at the raintoday radar and out of no where PPN just appears over the Bolton area. drinks.gif

Posted

Yet again the wintry action is in the south of the region, we seem to be in a snow shield here in Cumbria, slap bang in the middle of this low pressure and on the direct path of where the low pressure wants to track, hence all the front and trough action seems to be anchored away from us - its very very frustrating... with no winds we are not even getting a showery flow from the Irish Sea. As a consequence we have seen a beautiful sunny clear day with early sharp frost and an early evening frost tonight.

We may see some snow showers on Friday as the low pressure moves away to the east and chances of snow look better for the weekend, its a waiting game at the moment trying to guess where trough/front features develop and track, they seem to changing course at very short timescales.

Southern parts of the region i.e. Cheshire and SE Manchester areas/Pennine ares could catch some snowfall tomorrow evening as suggested by the BBC this evening, doubt the risk will transfer any further into the region,the best action being reserved for west and south yorkshire and humberside regions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Settling on the grass and in patches but would really need to pick up intensity if we were to get a proper covering.

Posted

Wet sleety flakes falling here, there's been a slight pepping up on the radar if you chart it back a couple of hours, but to be honest it's still very light. I'm ready for Spring now anyway, nothing will beat the two inches, short of a foot snowfall in early January!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

its been drizzling (rain) all evening, to be expected though.

If it had been heavier there might have been some snow, but not this time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Again the 18z brings Thurs snow to the south of the region,followed by more snow/showers into the weekend

TBH i have lost total confidence in this model as it has performed very poorly this winter,i find it a good model for

picking up trends but as for PPN it is totally pants

anyway back to the here and now light sleet and thats about it,GFS says i should have moderate snow....nuf said LOL

C.S

Posted

Hi,

I was a bit disappointed that we did not get at least a few cm of snow this evening especially considering that I thought that the precipitation was going to arrive after sunset meaning that temperatures would be lower, meaning I would have expected snow rather than rain. Instead it seemed to break up does anyone know why this happened? And it has felt cold all day here too!

What I would like too see is one more good snow event (with at least a few cm of covering) for my area before this winter is over and done with as in my opinion it will make this winter a real one to remember IMO. Do you think that will be possible over the next week or so? When do you think the best chance may come? I have heared that they could be numerous chances over this weekend and even early next week providing the models don't change to much also is thier a possibility the snow forecast for tomorrow affecting the Liverpool/Merseyside area if the front tracks further north than forecast? Whatever happens please keep me posted guys on the prospects of snow for my area!

Anyway we should I least get a frost tonight I will imagine that will be the next best thing after snow for the cold lovers among us!

Luke

Posted

Again the 18z brings Thurs snow to the south of the region,followed by more snow/showers into the weekend

TBH i have lost total confidence in this model as it has performed very poorly this winter,i find it a good model for

picking up trends but as for PPN it is totally pants

anyway back to the here and now light sleet and thats about it,GFS says i should have moderate snow....nuf said LOL

C.S

It's raining here in south Liverpool - and snowing at the same time. It's not sleet though. It's raining rain with the odd big snow flake in..... really weird..... :whistling:

Posted

It's raining here in south Liverpool - and snowing at the same time. It's not sleet though. It's raining rain with the odd big snow flake in..... really weird..... mellow.gif

Yup-wet snow coming down here-gets more snow like as it gets heavier. Temp +1.5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just been out with the dog.

Snow got very heavy and is starting to stick to the saturated ground.

Already a dusting on the cars and grass! Temp from 1.9c down to 0.9c!

Posted

Oh yes just had some moderate snow (quite big flakes) here not bad not sticking at the moment though as the ground is wet it's defiantly snow though I like the "big flake" snow the best it seems to me that some snow that we have had has been big flakes for all of the snowfall and thier have been falls with mainly small fine flakes too what affects the size of a snowflake is it the dewpoint or the temperature or both?

Luke