Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Now 3.0c - This is a horrible rise in temperature.... Non event again.

Bring on the rain, :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Now 3.0c - This is a horrible rise in temperature.... Non event again.

Bring on the rain, :rolleyes:

not to worry eh, winter is back in 9 months or so :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Should hope so - Although wet snow isnt any good. I want to make another snowman. sad.gif

And so you shall my matecool.gif latest on news 24 look good with the PPN reaching our area from 1500 onwards lasting well into the nightbiggrin.gif

so a possibility this may stall over us hense why GFS is giving 9hrs of PPN seems to agree with the METO

C.S

Posted

No need to panic, it's back to 2.6c :rolleyes:

Posted

not to worry eh, winter is back in 9 months or so :rolleyes:

Time frame will probably play a part in this minor event. The snowfall that does trek into the Northwest will be on a decaying front so i believe the BBC over egged the diagram's west of the pennines. However temperatures will fall away tonight and some snow for many areas looks certainly on the card's. Its now afternoon so your rise in temperature is expected to peek now, then only way is down :yahoo:

Have some faith, and winter in my view is starting to bow out, but what a winter we have had, and we still have chilly weather around :) :)

Posted

Hopefully for you guys the front will take its time, some uncertainties still about how long the system takes to get ejected to the NE, the NAE for examples strengthens the eastern part of the front in the eveing time which helps to weaken the western section quite rapidly, the longer that takes to happen the better the chances of getting snow up there, esp as the eveing goes on there should be increasing amounts of snow reports from the northern parts, as this is a marginal event and daytime temps probably take it just the wrong side outside of heavier bursts or without much height.

Posted

1.9c now - What the heck is going on! :rolleyes:

Posted

1.9c now - What the heck is going on! laugh.gif

The snow is on its way LOL temp here is 1.5c with a DP -1c

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Time frame will probably play a part in this minor event. The snowfall that does trek into the Northwest will be on a decaying front so i believe the BBC over egged the diagram's west of the pennines. However temperatures will fall away tonight and some snow for many areas looks certainly on the card's. Its now afternoon so your rise in temperature is expected to peek now, then only way is down :rolleyes:

Have some faith, and winter in my view is starting to bow out, but what a winter we have had, and we still have chilly weather around :yahoo::)

yeah its been fantastic, i know i will have snow later, but it makes my smile seeing backtrack panicing lol

Posted

Time frame will probably play a part in this minor event. The snowfall that does trek into the Northwest will be on a decaying front so i believe the BBC over egged the diagram's west of the pennines. However temperatures will fall away tonight and some snow for many areas looks certainly on the card's. Its now afternoon so your rise in temperature is expected to peek now, then only way is down :yahoo:

Have some faith, and winter in my view is starting to bow out, but what a winter we have had, and we still have chilly weather around :) :)

Can you pop your location in your avatar so we know where you are posting from?

Cheers. :)

Crikey! 1.8c now!

yeah its been fantastic, i know i will have snow later, but it makes my smile seeing backtrack panicing lol

Gee thanks. :rolleyes:

I'm hopeful of seeing something now.

Posted

Yesterday morning the squirrels were out at Hunts Cross Staion (S.Liverpool)......they bloody weren't this morning.....heheheh

Okay think ive updated my location, im just a stone throw from Wigan really :rolleyes:

Posted

Okay think ive updated my location, im just a stone throw from Wigan really :)

Oh nice one, another person who lives right close to me. Will be interesting this afternoon/tonight for us mate.

No, it is mainly rain across Staffs and rain has now reached Stone, DPs are rising sharply just ahead of the PPN.

Keep in mind though Ian, that the PPN isnt due to reach our area till after nightfall. This will give enough time for air temperatures and dewpoints to fall back down.

Posted

Just thought i would let you know the latest from my mate at Manchester Airport weather station

This afternoon Sleet/Snow spreading from the south lasting into the early hours of Thurs Morning

Accumaltions of 5cm possible anywere,locally upto 8cm possibly,snow clearing from about 0100hrs

to leave clearing skys with temps dipping down to-2c overnight

for Thurs a 60% chance of heavy snow effecting parts of the northwest with accumalations of 5-10cm

in places,he did state Thurs very much in the air as to how far north the PPN will reach tomorrow

Met office not yet sure on Thurs developments ATM,so FI is now less that 24hrs LOL

C.S

Posted

MUCH BETTER!

The PPN is now turning to snow as it's leaving Birmingham! Very good!!! :)

Posted

The Thursday info is surely wrong, the PPN will do well to reach Stafford never mind Man Airport !

Hense why they stated uncertain ATM,things seem to be changing every couple of hours very much down

to now casting from now.

C.S

Posted

Hi,

So what time is the PPN expected to arrive in our neck of the woods? Will it be after 5pm? And if it snows will we get a few hours of snowfall? If we get snowcover how long should it last with a frost predicted overnight it should last at least until tomorrow morning I would assume.

Also in replying to Backtracks post about wet snow being unsuitable for making snowmen - I thought that wet snow was better for making snowballs and snowmen than dry (powdery) snow because it sticks together more easily (dry snow tends to just fall apart easily so it is not as easy to make snowballs etc) so if you get quite a bit of accumulating wet snow you should be ok?

Luke

Posted

Hi,

So what time is the PPN expected to arrive in our neck of the woods? Will it be after 5pm? And if it snows will we get a few hours of snowfall? If we get snowcover how long should it last with a frost predicted overnight it should last at least until tomorrow morning I would assume.

Also in replying to Backtracks post about wet snow being unsuitable for making snowmen - I thought that wet snow was better for making snowballs and snowmen than dry (powdery) snow because it sticks together more easily (dry snow tends to just fall apart easily so it is not as easy to make snowballs etc) so if you get quite a bit of accumulating wet snow you should be ok?

Luke

I mean wet snow falling... I.e when the temps and dewpoints and temperatures are ever so slightly too high, wet snow will usually occur which doesn't stick.

The type of snow that sticks to the ground depends on the temperatures, if it snows with a temperature of -3c or lower, the snow will be VERY powdery, dry and horrible for making snowballs and snowmen. But if it snows at a temperature of say -1c or above, the snow will pick up moisture from the air as it's falling, to make the good old snow thats good for building with. :cc_confused:

Posted

You've got to laugh at the way the front is splitting to avoid where I live. wallbash.gif

I don't like the look of that split either.... it's heading my way! :cc_confused:

Edit: BBC North West weather has just shown mainly rain over south Liverpool.... :(

Edited by LiverBird

Posted

I smell rain guys!

PPN is 40 miles away, and the temperatures are hovering around 3c around the region. Dew points are too high aswell.

I don't like the look of that split either.... it's heading my way! :cc_confused:

No it's not, if you play the radar from 30 mins ago, you will see the band is heading in a North East direction.

Posted

Rain here now, and the front is splitting.

Ian, you are such a kill joy!!! Isnt there a whinge thread somewhere lol?

I think the PPN will reach this area in the North West, but will mainly be light as it crosses the midlands. The main point being will be Dew Points & Current Temps, which are just about borderline at the moment for snow. Looking...Alright.

Posted

PERFECTION! HERE'S THE FOG!

The fog will give the temperatures a smash on the noggin! :cc_confused:

Edited by Backtrack