Hot?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Everywhere south of the mid highlands is orange now.biggrin.gif

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I love Rob, he's the best forecaster since the baltimore guy! Pure speculation at this stage of course but that's not implausible at all, especially the further west you are

Posted

Wait a minute, let me get this right. We have a heavy snow warning lasting 48 hours? That's like 2 days of heavy snow, or one day of heavy snow followed by another day of heavy snow. Or even 24x2 hours of snow. Each way you calculate it, that could equal quite a lot of snow.

Ok SS, take deep breaths, remember what you learned at radar watchers anonymous. crazy.gif

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Wait a minute, let me get this right. We have a heavy snow warning lasting 48 hours? That's like 2 days of heavy snow, or one day of heavy snow followed by another day of heavy snow. Or even 24x2 hours of snow. Each way you calculate it, that could equal quite a lot of snow.

Ok SS, take deep breaths, remember what you learned at radar watchers anonymous. crazy.gif

Hahahaha! Or, snow in one morning, then the evening, followed by the next morning and that evening too! Or 4 days divided by 2 days of snow.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

So SS,

Let me get this right cc_confused.gif

You're expecting some snaw thenwhistling.gif

Big Innes

Posted

just watched the BBC weather and wow you guys

Snow from tonight and still showing on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that was the biggest ramp i've ever seen for Scotland :nonono:

Posted

OK i,am ready for the long haul.

Not back to work untill 1 pm tomorrow. TWO days of snow coming up folks.

March = in like a lion. out like a lamb. As yer granny would say.cold.gifcold.gifhelp.gif

Posted

So SS,

Let me get this right cc_confused.gif

You're expecting some snaw thenwhistling.gif

Big Innes

Hmm, maybe a dustingrolleyes.gif

T just starting to rise a touch. DP dropping. Something approaching? Why does raintoday.com always chuck in a missing/grey update at the crucial moments?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Temperature holding steady at 1.3C, need it to stay that way, though Leuchars is showing 4C/-2C, which doesn't tie in with mine at all! Anyway, I'll have a little shuteye then try and wake up at 12.30am to see where Innes' snaw has gone!rofl.gif

Night

LS

Hmm, maybe a dustingrolleyes.gif

T just starting to rise a touch. DP dropping. Something approaching? Why does raintoday.com always chuck in a missing/grey update at the crucial moments?

You're fine for snow SS. You're going to take an absolute pasting, really no doubt about it. Anywhere away from the cursed east coast will get pasted tomorrow, not sure about Thursday, and I think that might just include me....

Night again!

LS

Posted

:D:cray::cray::D:wallbash::wallbash:its no fair!!! Most of it misses us AGAIN!

Edited by Gilly

Posted

10 miles to go. Whoohoogood.gif

Has anyone reported proper snow yet? No doubt it's coming in as that now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Still too early to say in detail what will happen, where and when over the next 48-60 hours. Nowcasting will win out as usual. Robs forecast was decent but plainly 25-50 miles here and there or a degree farenheit more or less will make a big difference in this typically marginal situation. Inlandness/height will seal the deal for many. Bound to be a coastal effect but that itself can be a very abrupt transition zone as the range in snow depths in Edinburgh over Xmas/New Year demonstrated - and whether "the coast" in this event turns out to be 2 miles inland or 10 miles inland we'll see soon enough.

Even if there is a slightly sleety middle period to this spell, looks like there'll be enough cold undercut to give us a second bite as it clears in a couple of days or so.

Ready for anything at this point...hopefully most of us will get something worthwhile out of it.

Posted

Anyone worried about it been marginal don't be, the GFS has got it way wrong, if it was right I should have a temporary dusting and it should be pouring down with rain. The reality, heavy snow with 2cm+ on all surfaces including roads and the temperature is still dropping, and to add to that there are reports of snow in Wales, where if the GFS is right would not support snow at all. I think you guys will do extremely well with many areas over 20cm.

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Temperature holding steady at 1.3C, need it to stay that way, though Leuchars is showing 4C/-2C, which doesn't tie in with mine at all! Anyway, I'll have a little shuteye then try and wake up at 12.30am to see where Innes' snaw has gone!rofl.gif

Night

LS

Aw naw LS!

Surely ah canny miss oot on this event?

Can ah cc_confused.gifrofl.gif

Good joab that I still have some patches of snaw fae December 17th 2009 thengood.gif

Noo that's a fair achievment so it is drinks.gif

Big Innes

Posted

Radar watching will now be accompanied by regular patrols of the garden halogen.

Less than 5 miles away.crazy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Thanks for the info 10123. Good to know !

Dewpoints still looking good here currently -1c Embra, -1c Glesgae, -1c Dundee, -2c Leuchars.

Minor concern at Robs general tempearture forecast for the next 2-3 days here of 3c to 4c. But I always take those max temps with a pinch of salt , far too often the metoffice temperature forecasts are 1 or 2 c out. And if theres any intensity to the precipitation, I expect more like 2 or 3c and obviously dropping more with any height.

Anyway, eyes down for the next 4 to 8 hours and hopefully it gets off to a good start without too many letdowns.

Anyone worried about it been marginal don't be, the GFS has got it way wrong, if it was right I should have a temporary dusting and it should be pouring down with rain. The reality, heavy snow with 2cm+ on all surfaces including roads and the temperature is still dropping, and to add to that there are reports of snow in Wales, where if the GFS is right would not support snow at all. I think you guys will do extremely well with many areas over 20cm.

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
:cold: someone has built a snowman in front of the camera at Crocketford!! :lol:

Posted

:cold: someone has built a snowman in front of the camera at Crocketford!! :lol:

Haha! Either a giant snowman or those pesky aliens.

EDIT: Camera has updated now... snowman dissapeared... :D

Edited by Mr Stewie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
:cold: that's the milder air pushing in that has melted it! :lol: