Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 11

Posted

The FAX's this morning little change from yesterday again. Heavy rain and windy on Sunday, colder air filter's back down south on Sunday night, possibility of an hour or 2 of backedge snow as the LP moves away during the early hours of Monday

Posted

The lack of interest in here is a sure sign that Spring is on its way.

Or some are saving themselves for when winter returns next week!

I will add that I define Spring in this region as sunshine and showers with temps around 15C. Nothing in the model output suggests this for the next 2 weeks.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

Or some are saving themselves for when winter returns next week!

I will add that I define Spring in this region as sunshine and showers with temps around 15C. Nothing in the model output suggests this for the next 2 weeks.

I hadn't realised winter was returning next week. Is it the "Beast From The East" again?

Posted

I hadn't realised winter was returning next week. Is it the "Beast From The East" again?

Maybe you should spend more time looking at the models.

Basically the next 2 weeks looks to be dominated by HP which will bring cold, dry conditions with a few wintry showers in E areas. I would also think frost by night is likely on most nights.

So no it isn't a beast from the E but the models certainly don't suggest spring coming anytime soon. I do wonder what your motives are for making such a statement when nothing in the model output suggests spring?

Posted

In the last few minutes we just had gusts of wind here on the cliffs of just over 50mph. Just a breeze for these parts, but still makes a change from the calm conditions we have had for the past couple of weeks.

Posted

No sign of spring John, even deep in FI on GFS there is no sign of anything mild. I think the pattern for the next few days has been set out, as the LP clears away on Sunday night, HP will build and more settled conditions will occur into next week, with wintry showers a possibility for this region in particular.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

No sign of spring John, even deep in FI on GFS there is no sign of anything mild. I think the pattern for the next few days has been set out, as the LP clears away on Sunday night, HP will build and more settled conditions will occur into next week, with wintry showers a possibility for this region in particular.

Like I was saying yesterday IF the high was 200 miles further north "BINGO" Then I saw this chart below drinks.gif

post-9329-12672076750517_thumb.gif

Posted

What happens to you Snowman when Spring arrives?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

lol ~ Same as me and a good many more folk on here we will be looking at other 'interesting' kinds of weather like thunder storms, it's not only all about snow you know biggrin.gif

Hopefully we will get the kind of summer where we all start to melt !

Posted

I will be on the forum still John, I like warm weather as much as I like cold weather! Im not just going to disappear for the best part of 6 months or so! I like all ranges of weather, whether its Thunderstorms,snow etc!

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

The lack of interest in here is a sure sign that Spring is on its way.

Admit it, you're a troll

Posted

Erm, Sunday evening into Monday might be quite interesting for those not in 3 counties or East Anglia, but lumped into this thread. Something wintery possibly... GFS has really offered only sleet, but the Met Office has been going with it for a couple of days clicking through their forecast maps. Obviously not much kop for you lot in the rest of the "3 Counties & EA region". Which is why most Northants discussion has remained in the Midlands thread.

As far as this thread was concerned it was like the local government act of 1974, putting huge swathes of Yorkshire into Lancashire, Durham and made up counties like Cleveland. Wasn't going to work. And i'm pleased most of the Northants posters stuck in the Midlands thread. Just because a van company called "3 counties" has an outlet in Northampton, doesn't make it part of it.

Posted

The models look very good for next week for another bout of cold weather and possibly more snow, these next few days will be very interesting and you will hear this date again on the model thread: Friday 5th March

Posted

Erm, Sunday evening into Monday might be quite interesting for those not in 3 counties or East Anglia, but lumped into this thread. Something wintery possibly... GFS has really offered only sleet, but the Met Office has been going with it for a couple of days clicking through their forecast maps. Obviously not much kop for you lot in the rest of the "3 Counties & EA region". Which is why most Northants discussion has remained in the Midlands thread.

As far as this thread was concerned it was like the local government act of 1974, putting huge swathes of Yorkshire into Lancashire, Durham and made up counties like Cleveland. Wasn't going to work. And i'm pleased most of the Northants posters stuck in the Midlands thread. Just because a van company called "3 counties" has an outlet in Northampton, doesn't make it part of it.

BBC London forecast is saying a possible covering by monday morning. I dont think it will matter where in the region (or England) you are tommorow, the only factor will be elevation. IMO Most areas will see rain all day and an hour or so of sleet / wet snow as the you enter the NW side of the low which is slipping SE. Chilterns etc may see a covering. PS I love the way you are comparing Net weather forums to the LGA of 1974! And I dont think the decision over the distribution of areas was taken on the basis of a van company in Northants!

Back to the weather and Mon - Weds will be fairly benign but a widespread snow event is possible on Thurs / Fri as this has been showing consistently for a few a few days now. I think Northants will stay mostly dry and sunny though LOL!

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

GFS 06z looks pretty spectacular for our region towards the end of next week! Im going to be very cautious though after other Easterly disappointments this winter!

http://expert.weathe...0600_2_2706.gif

If only... :)

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

If the GFS 06Z, or anything remotely like it, comes off, then the comments about "snow doesn't stick around in southern England in March except if it's dull, roll on Spring" will require a fair amount of humble pie to be eaten. A frost-consolidated >2-inch snow cover is not going to melt in maxima of 0C and dewpoints of -3C no matter how much sunshine there is.

The lack of interest stems from the usual problem at this time of year. Most members of Net-Weather are only interested in two weather types: cold/snow (winter) and hot/sunny (summer), though in summer there is a division between those who want thunderstorms and those who want continuous high pressure. So they "move on", in the sense of flicking a switch from only wanting cold/snow to only wanting warmth- with precious little room for those who enjoy anything in between or alternation between the two. Some people flick the switch at different times, so you get some continually looking for cold and snow through to April and others looking only for warmth from as early as the 10th February, and those who fall in between being ruthlessly lumped together with one group or the other.

What many people seem to define as "spring"- i.e. settled sunny weather with temps in the teens and no more snow or frost for the rest of the season- sometimes doesn't arrive until mid to late May or even June (!), as per 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997 and 2005. It is mainly because we have vast enthusiasm only for certain weather types rather than a wide range. In an environment dominated by hardcore weather enthusiasts, or the general public, we would not see the masses applying this kind of switch flick.

I have a well-established preference for variable springs (of which both major snow events and notable warm sunny spells are an integral part) which means I don't fit very well with most of the rest of the Netweather population.

Posted

Even the NW forecasts are getting in the act for next week!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=7;type=free;ct=5155~Cambridge;sess=#forecast

I totally agree with TWS in his post above, when I first joined the forum it was very quiet! Next week certainly looks very interesting indeed, we will need to see how this play out in the positioning of the HP then the LP. Ideal scenario will be the HP over Iceland(maybe a little further north than that) and LP nearby over the North Sea to generate convection

Posted

Even the NW forecasts are getting in the act for next week!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=7;type=free;ct=5155~Cambridge;sess=#forecast

I totally agree with TWS in his post above, when I first joined the forum it was very quiet! Next week certainly looks very interesting indeed, we will need to see how this play out in the positioning of the HP then the LP. Ideal scenario will be the HP over Iceland(maybe a little further north than that) and LP nearby over the North Sea to generate convection

We have the same symbols on the Poole chart here on the central south coast, difference is Ive seen this gfs promise a thousand times before and time has taught me to take it all with a pinch of salt. Veru unlikely imo but I would love to be proved wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Cant have lying snow in march whistling.gif 1947 saw temps in the south of england of -21 with 40cm of snow in Birmingham.

Met office go along with the idea of major blocking and below average temps.