Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 11

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think if the pro cold and snowy brigade that have now jumped ship had been a little less dismissive of the members who just enjoyed a bit of weather of whatever variety was on offer, and incidentally the extreme brigade were usually backed up by the moderators, we might not have seen such a massive decline in the traffic to this website. Just my humble opinion.

The bit about dismissiveness of the more "all-round" weather fans may well be a factor- some of the more ardent snow lovers might frighten them away during the winter, and then during the spring, there can often be a dismissiveness of those who don't jump ship (though hopefully my rants over the last two weeks may have taken care of that lol!). However I disagree that the mods support the extreme brigade- in reality they are dead against it, and most of the mods are more "all-round" weather fans themselves.

The most likely reason is because a majority of members join for the winter months, and then leave until next winter, because the weather at the moment is to be fair not at all interesting, nothing active is happening.

Lots of truth in that also. There are a lot of snow fans who indeed just come on in winter, and despite my earlier post about not all anticyclonic spells being boring, it's true that there's very little to talk about with regards the current spell other than how much cloud cover there might be if a slight easterly appears in southern England.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Beautiful sunny day here with a hard frost. My husband's car is frozen shut! cold.gif

Speaking for myself, I haven't been posting on here as much as my main interest is snow, but I have been popping in to read the thread and I will continue to do so. With two small children and trying to get a new business started, I just don't have the time to be as obsessive when there's no snow on the horizon... smile.gif

Posted

I look at the models on a daily basis throughout the year. I also post on this forum on a daily basis because for me im interested in all kinds of weather. Below is what I look out for in the models during the year.

Mid Nov- mid March. Mainly look for snowfall in the models.

Mid March - Mid May. Heavy showers, great opportunity for taking photos of cumulonimbus clouds especially during a N,ly.

Mid May - Sep. Heatwaves, Thunderstorms.

The only period in the year that I tend to lose interest in looking at the models is from mid Sep - early Nov. However during this time im looking at the signals to what kind of winter we may have.

So the above might be the extremes of weather I don't disappear from this forum when winter has finished.

I will add that the only disappointing aspect of this winter is some of the posts directed at myself, Nick Sussex, Steve M. This I feel is why Steve M disappeared from the forum and after reading the post directed at him I can hardly blame him. I even thought about leaving but decided why should I allow a wind up merchant to drive me away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Beautiful sunny day here with a hard frost. My husband's car is frozen shut! cold.gif

Speaking for myself, I haven't been posting on here as much as my main interest is snow, but I have been popping in to read the thread and I will continue to do so. With two small children and trying to get a new business started, I just don't have the time to be as obsessive when there's no snow on the horizon... smile.gif

Same here Mrs M ~ Thick frost and quite chilly first thing. Much as I enjoyed the fab winter we have had it is so nice to see blue sky and the sunshine.

I've also been poping on to read the thread and will continue to do so if it's still here, hopefully it won't be long now before we can compare sizzling temperatures and hours of sunshine smile.gif

Ali

I don't post very much as I can learn more from the postings by TEITS, Nick Sussex ect, it is a shame that we do have that people want to have a go at people and I have found my hide posting feature being used more and more.

In terms of around here in Kempston, I think we have really done very well this winter as I can remember the run of mild winters when you were limited to one hours snowfall in March if you were lucky:)

I do hope the regional threads are allowed to stay open through the summer when we start to see thoses showers and thunderstorms, however I suppose it maybe to much work for the moderators.

Anyway I'm off out in the garden to do some clearing up, just up to 0.7.

Chris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

looking like east anglia could see some sleet/snow from this decaying cold front saturday earlydrinks.gif not sure about the rest of the se tho

post-11361-12677927584955_thumb.gif

post-11361-12677927631355_thumb.gif

post-11361-12677927725055_thumb.gif

post-11361-12677927788855_thumb.jpg

post-11361-12677927843855_thumb.jpg

post-11361-12677927889755_thumb.gif

post-11361-12677927994955_thumb.png

post-11361-12677928040155_thumb.png

post-11361-12677928098255_thumb.gif

post-11361-12677928144655_thumb.png

post-11361-12677928194455_thumb.png

post-11361-12677929419155_thumb.gif

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

I will add that the only disappointing aspect of this winter is some of the posts directed at myself, Nick Sussex, Steve M. This I feel is why Steve M disappeared from the forum and after reading the post directed at him I can hardly blame him. I even thought about leaving but decided why should I allow a wind up merchant to drive me away.

I miss Steve Murr's posts a lot, I hope he is persuaded to return to the forum for next winter, Your posts along with several others such as Nick S, NSSC, Kold W have been excellent this winter, and I speak for many people on this forum by saying this. I will continue to read yours and other's posts and I will recommend you and others posts to new forum members as they join. I joined last August with little knowledge of the models etc but Ive learnt a lot of you especially because your posts are easy to understand and are very informative!Thanks again :crazy:

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

I look at the models on a daily basis throughout the year. I also post on this forum on a daily basis because for me im interested in all kinds of weather.

I first came across the NW site in Dec. '09 when I was looking for a reliable forecast, although I have always had a interest in the weather it has mostly been on a 'I want to know what it's going to do' basis. Now, not only have I discovered that there are other people out there over the age of 10 who get as excited about 'snow days' as I do but I have found posts by yourself, Snowman, TWS (to name a few) so fascinating it has made me want to find out more about our weather and 'why it is possibly going to do what is is going to do' if you know what I mean !

As for these obvious wind-up merchants (and every forum has them) who show up on threads with their deliberate attempts to sabotage it, well they just talk nonsence and no one takes them seriously. WUM's just want a reaction so the best thing to do is IGNORE as this takes all the fun out of it for them. I have seen some egregious personal attacks and derogatory comments from people like this in the past which is a real shame as it deters genuine users from posting on forums. It is very disappointing if this is why Steve M has left this forum, but I'm pleased to see you will not be driven away by them and I will look out for your posts in the future.

Like Chirs Mantle (105) has said above I would like to see the regional threads stay open. It would be nice to keep in touch during the summer months when hopefully there will be some exciting heatwaves and thunderstorms for us to report on, this will also make genuine NW members easy to recognise when it comes to winter 10/11.

Ali smile.gif

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

The regional posts have been a great idea, especially giving our area its own little forum. Generalised weather forecasts have always overlooked this no mans land !

I will hang about here a little while longer, hoping for one last bite of the snow cherry. A few days ago, my localised forecast from Netweather was full of snow icons...all now gone...sigh...

Any extremes of weather from now on, storms, high winds etc will find me scuttling back to the site :whistling:

Posted

Its been great to read all the posts and Ihope the regional areas reamain to read about all the potential heatwaves

Yeah Hopefully so! I would like to tell people that although I have a "wintry" name, I like weather of all types, I love "extreme" weather. A perfect summer day for me is it being warm (25-30C) and dry until late afternoon, then a decent thunderstorm to end the day! :whistling:

Posted

Thanks for the kind comments.

I have throughly enjoyed this winter especially following the drama of the model output and sharing our snowfall experiences on this thread. Certainly been another learning curve this winter which shall hopefully prove useful next winter.

I actually hope they keep these regional threads open throughout the rest of the year especially when storms develop during the spring/summer.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

I have tended to lurk in the summer mianly because I prefer wintry weather, and to try to guess when its going to happen.

I particularly look out for Steve M, Nick Sussex, and Snowmans posts, not forgetting TEITS, and maybe a couple of others whose usernames I forget right away.All are informative and helpful to those of us who are struggling to understand the charts, or if we do understand them, strugglin to understand why the weather may turn out in a certain way.

Posted

No snow, forum slow.

The sun is most certainly getting warmer by the day. The beach is getting busier, and the layers of clothing are getting less and less. I hadn't realised how much I had missed the warmth of the sun.

I don't really think we are at that point, it is still cold outside and no where near warm enough for the beach. I suspect some peoples perception of warm and cold have changed slightly due to the cold winter as anything just below average is classed as "warm". There is nothing remotely warm about temperatures below 10.c, pleasant perhaps, but until we actually see temperatures where they should be not below below average we are still in the grip of winter, even though technically speaking we are in spring.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Still nothing properly spring like within the models today. GFS 06z hints a Northerly outbreak in between 7-9 days time. Will be interesting to see how that pans out. Winter still could have one last bite at us before it is properly out. Hopefully something similar to 23rd March 08 if it does pull off

Posted

I actually hope they keep these regional threads open throughout the rest of the year especially when storms develop during the spring/summer.

Seconded!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Its been the best winter I can remember since I was a kid, I think a hot summer is on the way with plenty of

blocking to come. Can people post some pics of the snow from this winter so we can get this thread going again.

These are from winter 2008-09

post-9329-12679804416755_thumb.jpg

post-9329-12679804838955_thumb.jpg

Posted

Its been the best winter I can remember since I was a kid, I think a hot summer is on the way with plenty of

blocking to come. Can people post some pics of the snow from this winter so we can get this thread going again.

These are from winter 2008-09

I've had a great winter too Shotski, but then IMO you can never have too much snow !

Here are a couple of my pictures (I took so many it's hard to choose, first one is from Dec '09 & second from Jan'10)

post-10773-12679887739055_thumb.jpg

post-10773-12679888808355_thumb.jpg

Hope you're right about the hot summer biggrin.gif

Hopefully we'll be needing to look back at our snow pictures to cool ourselves down !

Ali smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I've had a great winter too Shotski, but then IMO you can never have too much snow !

Here are a couple of my pictures (I took so many it's hard to choose, first one is from Dec '09 & second from Jan'10)

post-10773-12679887739055_thumb.jpg

post-10773-12679888808355_thumb.jpg

Hope you're right about the hot summer biggrin.gif

Hopefully we'll be needing to look back at our snow pictures to cool ourselves down !

Ali smile.gif

Nice pics Angel clap.gif

Posted

we have just broken the world record here for the shortest hail storm in history

three hailstones bounced off the car bonnet as we were driving, no more fell, that was it. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Posted

we have just broken the world record here for the shortest hail storm in history

three hailstones bounced off the car bonnet as we were driving, no more fell, that was it. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

lol jennyjane - Way to go !! That's three more than we've had here biggrin.gif

I think they all got used up in Melbourne on Saturday so stocks are probably running low now !

Have a look at this Hail Storm that hit Melbourne in Australia on March 6, 2010 and you will see what I mean.

Posted

lol jennyjane - Way to go !! That's three more than we've had here biggrin.gif

I think they all got used up in Melbourne on Saturday so stocks are probably running low now !

Have a look at this Hail Storm that hit Melbourne in Australia on March 6, 2010 and you will see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Xm52braxFf0

Hello mks, thanks for video link, I knew it had been prett bad there, amazing video of it!

quite chilly here and overcast now but no weather happening.