Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Posted

It's reached the time when it never gets properly dark now (sun barely dips below the horizon). As the days go on the night-time will get progressively lighter.

Posted

will we be looking at a long term shutdown of airspace?

This projection is the best I've seen, and it does look likely that UK and some European airspace will be shut over the weekend, into early part of next week. However, forecast upper winds patterns do not suggest long term closure.

http://transport.nilu.no/browser/fpv?fpp=conccol_VO_1_

EDIT: Beaten to it :D

Edited by Tom D

Posted

Dunno if it is the light, but it looks like a more ashy type of smoke or steam is coming out of that hole in the glacier, part way down the slope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

It's reached the time when it never gets properly dark now (sun barely dips below the horizon). As the days go on the night-time will get progressively lighter.

aye true... wish I had a laptop and then i could watch the plume everywhere hahaha!!!! I rekon seeing lightning in it would be spectacular, but I agree it needs to be dark, I just was hoping I might catch a glimpse anyways! hahaha! laugh.gif

Need that low cloud to bugger off so we can see its full glory! It looks like its intensifying too, its cool how the mid level plume cauliflowers out into these cool microbursts of growth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I like the way the red lined ash plume has broken off and is going for a journey across the world. It really does show that an event on one part of the planet will affect a vast area.

Edit: Is it just me or does the red one look like a dinosaur embryo?

No I see it too! it's a Parasaurolophus :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I love how the ash cloud goes round in circles before having another swipe at us under those animations.

Now it's time those dreaded clouds went elsewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

new earthquake under the volcano smile.gif

Posted

new earthquake under the volcano smile.gif

A couple more now, shallow ones too. That plume on Hvolsvelli cam is what it was like very early this morning. I thought she had suffered with 'burn out' after her efforts last night but she is back to full energy again.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

A couple more now, shallow ones too. That plume on Hvolsvelli cam is what it was like very early this morning. I thought she had suffered with 'burn out' after her efforts last night but she is back to full energy again.

might sound a silly question, but how do you know when the earthquakes, are shallow and when they are deep? I have the chart that tells me what magnitude they are, but dont know... oh wait- I see it!! on the tables chart (not the map one) So whats considered deep, and how does that affect it? Sorry for the novice-land, I dont know anything much about volcanoes smile.gif I just keep looking for earthquakes to start appearing under the Great Witch!! I have this morbid fascination with wanting katla to blow her top!! Maybe because then I'll have a chance of actually having some snow this year!! laugh.gif (yes- Nottingham had only a total of 3inch for the entire winter..)

Posted

might sound a silly question, but how do you know when the earthquakes, are shallow and when they are deep? I have the chart that tells me what magnitude they are, but dont know... oh wait- I see it!! on the tables chart (not the map one) So whats considered deep, and how does that affect it? Sorry for the novice-land, I dont know anything much about volcanoes smile.gif I just keep looking for earthquakes to start appearing under the Great Witch!! I have this morbid fascination with wanting katla to blow her top!! Maybe because then I'll have a chance of actually having some snow this year!! laugh.gif (yes- Nottingham had only a total of 3inch for the entire winter..)

I only call those shallow as some of the quakes have reached a depth of 30+km and according to some that is really deep for this area almost a deep as the total depth of the earths crust in this area. The deeper they are the more likely of fresh magma arriving from untapped sources. At least that is how I understand it. Perhaps someone else can give a more scientific explanation

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

some info here C_S >>> http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/1884

give latest status, tremor reports, earthquake reports and data tables :D

Posted

The cloud seems to have cleared the top on the Thorolfsfelli cam and I can see steaming at a new site to the right of the usual plume.

A couple more earthquakes making a total of 7 for today. Seems slow after the swarm of a few days back. All shallow quakes today though.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Latest vaac showing the ash keeps well from us.

post-2404-12737721490326_thumb.png

Edited by The PIT

Posted

some info here C_S >>> http://en.vedur.is/e...rticles/nr/1884

give latest status, tremor reports, earthquake reports and data tables smile.gif

Nice one MAF! good.gif Ive put it in my Favourites bar. Something new to obsess over biggrin.gif

I only call those shallow as some of the quakes have reached a depth of 30+km and according to some that is really deep for this area almost a deep as the total depth of the earths crust in this area. The deeper they are the more likely of fresh magma arriving from untapped sources. At least that is how I understand it. Perhaps someone else can give a more scientific explanation

aahhh right, that makes sense. Plus I guess the deeper they are, the more of a chance the magma can take different courses to different chambers and fissures up to the different volcanoes. Cool, nice one for that!

Posted

Mila cams don't seem to be working at the moment but the Mulakot page shows that plume really high again. Almost out of the frame!

http://www.mulakot.net/myndavelar.html 3rd picture down

Ah, back up again complete with idiots with wooly hats.

I do wish they would put a 'no go' area in front of those cams. Those idiots have been posing there for 15 minutes now!! And blocking the view.

Inconsiderate.......... mumble, mumble. :D:wallbash:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Wolly hats gone. Perhaps we should have speakers next to them so we can all shout get out of the way you muppets.

Posted

Wolly hats gone. Perhaps we should have speakers next to them so we can all shout get out of the way you muppets.

They sure took their time! Probaly worried the cams might be down so had to stay for ages to be sure we got a good look at their mugs.

Not a lot exciting happening at the moment. If I go away for a few hours that should trigger a massive eruption for you all. :D

Posted

Hi everyone,Totally new here, but counted 5 lightnings in the last 45 minutes. I'm very lucky I guess.

Hi Nightfire, Wecome to the forum, to be up at this time you obviously love volcanos. Very apt name by the way.

I also have seen some lightning but only a couple of flashes as I only just came on for a short while unyil I get sleepy again.

The thermal cam showing warmer spots further down than last night.

http://www.flir.com/.../data/?id=30533

Edited by coldfingers