Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Posted

Remember it's still much safer to fly than jump in your car and pop down to the shops.

Owww, you've seen my driving then?

Iceland Volcano Update

1218 BST on Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Latest information received from the Icelandic Meteorological Office indicates that the explosive activity from the Eyjafjallajökull volcano is continuing, with the ash plume reaching heights of up to around 18,000 ft. The Icelandic Met Office state that there are no signs that the eruption is about to end, with the volcanic eruption remaining dynamic.

Winds are expected to blow from a mainly north or north easterly direction over the next few days, with most of the ash cloud likely to stay over the Atlantic Ocean and close to western parts of the British Isles. As a result NATS continues to advise aircraft about airspace restrictions affecting transatlantic flights, allowing them to cross the Atlantic safely. Recent weather patterns mean that the ash cloud has drifted across some parts of central and southern Europe, leading to disruption.

www.metoffice.gov.uk

I think it is deeply worring and am beginning to wish I wasn't visiting my sister in Spain in a few weeks time.Mind you, it was a smaller airline judging by the reports and probably wouldn't have been flying in Europe a lot.

They fly to a lot of European cities including London, Amsterdam, Rome, Paris, Brussels and Dusseldorf:

http://www.afriqiyah.aero/destinations/route-map.html?task=view

Posted

I really hope it had nothing to do with the ash; there's no indication of it even being a possibility on the BBC News website.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Not a lot to report pretty much as you were. http://en.vedur.is/media/jar/Eyjafjallajokull_status_2010-05-12_IES_IMO.pdf

View clearing so plume now visible on some cams.

The lava flows seems to have stagnated for now sadly.

Ash cloud staying away from us and although effecting med regions regions and eastern Europe initially. The main plume then remains to the southwest. However there is a new plume heading towards Scotland later on which will need watching.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The plume is impressive at the moment!

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-hvolsvelli/

Karyo

Haven't been checking the cams much lately but that looks amazing!

Posted

Vodaphone cam shows the clouds finally clearing too, so I am hoping they stay away for the evening as I am able to stay up late again tonight to watch any volcano show. Not too sure about the lava flow slowing as on the thermal cam the lower area of lava seems to have expanded a bit. however I haven't been able to keep tabs on it for a few days so perhaps that happened another day.

Posted

Seems to getting more active again doesn't it.

Posted

Seems to getting more active again doesn't it.

I for one hope so. Don't mind if I don't get my flight in June now. Not sure how safe they really are.

21:30pm Hvolsvelli cam showing plume now reaching again to the top of the screen.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Plume on the Hvolsvelli cam is now absolutely massive, well out of the screen and fire rising pretty high too at times.

Long line of heat showing on the thermal cam from the lava flow and long line of steam on the normal cam for Thorolfsfelli.

On the Mulakot cam the ash plume has reached the top of the screen too. Wow! The highest I have ever seen it on there. This is some explosive eruption at the moment!

I shouldn't have looked on here when I awoke, now I shall never get back to sleep as it is far too interesting watching it. Best for days if not best ever since the original eruption.

And just to make the morning complete, lightning in the plume too! :help:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Still spewing loads of ash and heat. Looks as though there has been a shift in wind direction. No EQ activity for a while now.

Posted

latest report from Iceland Met Office

Eruption in Eyjafjallajökull

Status Report: 15:00 GMT, 12 May 2010

Icelandic Meteorological Office and Institute of Earth Sciences,

University of Iceland

Compiled by: Steinunn S. Jakobsdóttir, Gunnar Sigurðsson, Sigrún Hreinsdóttir.

Based on: IMO seismic monitoring; IES-IMO GPS monitoring; IMO hydrological data;

IMO weather radar measurements, web cameras, ATDnet – UK Met. Offices

lightning detection system, NOAA satellite images and observations from

aircraft and web-based ash reports from the public.

Eruption plume:

Height (a.s.l.): Mainly ~ 4 - 5 km / 13,000 - 17,000 ft, highest up to ~ 6 km / 20,000ft.

Heading: East-southeast.

Colour: Grey.

Tephra fallout: Ashfall reported in Vík í Mýrdal and Meðalland.

Ash mist in Álftaver.

Lightning: Several lightning were recorded on the ATDnet until noon today.

Noises: No reports.

Meltwater: Low water discharge at Gígjökull.

Conditions at eruption site: Similar activity to yesterday according to instruments and

web cameras. The plume is a little lower today than yesterday.

Seismic tremor: Similar to previuous days.

Earthquakes: Only a few earthquakes have been located since yesterday, all of magnitude less than Ml 2.

GPS deformation: Horizontal displacements towards the center of Eyjafjallajökull volcano and subsidence.

Overall assessment: No major changes are seen in the activity.

The ash plume has slightly decreased since yesterday. Presently there are no indications that the eruption is about to end.

Edited by MAF

Posted

latest report from Iceland Met Office

I reckon that after the overnight activity that todays report will show more lava flow activity as there were definitely higher harmonic tremors and much higher plume heights early this morning.

She is still steaming and definitely at a lower level on the glacier but not so much compared to earlier today.

Worth checking tomorrow for any time-lapse that may be put on You Tube.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

It looks a lot more agressive today than the past few days, really blasting out its ash and dust.

http://transport.nilu.no/browser/fpv?fpp=conccol_VO_1_

From this projection I'd imagine all of Scottish and Irish airspace to be close by Saturday and possibly another UK wide closure by Sunday.

Edited by Tom D

I like the way the red lined ash plume has broken off and is going for a journey across the world. It really does show that an event on one part of the planet will affect a vast area.

Edit: Is it just me or does the red one look like a dinosaur embryo?

VAG_1273727745.png

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Edit: Is it just me or does the red one look like a dinosaur embryo?

It's definitely just you CMD..... :o

Yesterdays updated 'Air Ash Concentration Charts' from Eurocontrol in .pdf format:

www.eurocontrol.int

www.eurocontrol.int

Posted

Zoom in to maximum view on the vodaphone cam and it appears the lowest vent has started steaming slightly. If I am correct it hasn't done this for around a week at least. Looks like the water could possibly begin to flow again if lava or hot water is reaching this far.

Posted

Well the ladies hiding again no sign of the plume due to cloud so not a lot to say.

Posted

Ijit on the Thoro cams - nose pretty much on the webcam lens while talking on the phone. Not a pretty sight & his big heid is completely blocking the view!

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

That plume is way off the top of the Hvol & Mukalot cams. http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-hvolsvelli/ http://www.simnet.is/jonfr500/earthquake/vefmyndeyjafjalmulaen.html

Current height according to radar is 8.2km.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Its so addicting to watch, Ive been watching it on the Hvol cam for like 40 minutes! ohmy.gif

I keep waiting to see lightning laugh.gif I havent seen any yet... This is deffo the highest Ive ever seen the plume!!

Posted

Its so addicting to watch, Ive been watching it on the Hvol cam for like 40 minutes! ohmy.gif

I keep waiting to see lightning laugh.gif I havent seen any yet... This is deffo the highest Ive ever seen the plume!!

You're more likely to see lightning overnight/evening/dawn when the light is low. I'm not sure when sunset/sunrise is in Iceland but it seems to be lighter for a larger part of the day there.

The plume is looking wonderful, looks like a proper eruption now not just a small plume but a massive, fast rising plume.

Posted

I can't believe that I was glued to the Redoubt webcams last spring - that was a snooze fest compared to Eyjafjallajokull! lol

Karyo