Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Wouldn't call it a volcanic sunset here. Had a cracker (in comparison) a few weeks ago when this thing first kicked off.

It's maybe just been a west coast sunset then? Not too far from the sea here.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

So far looking poor for viewing plus a few cams off air. No increase of tremor and zippo too see at the moment.

Posted

everything is now running to the right of the screen as opposed to the left.is this the wind direction that puts us directly in it's path?

Posted

everything is now running to the right of the screen as opposed to the left.is this the wind direction that puts us directly in it's path?

You really need to log onto netweather extra and look at the wind direction on there. It shows quite well where the ash cloud should go depending on the height of eruption plume and it's density. At the moment it's coming roughly our direction due to the long draw of the winds. Most of the ash is being kept out west before being pulled back in across Spain due to a low pressure round there.

post-2404-12733988152463_thumb.png

Posted

Trying to work out the logic of the airlines. Italian and Spanish air ports closed. If you look where the predicted plume will be it will be over the Alps yet there's a lot of aircraft in the area. Huge expected gap over France. Hopefully there's a hole present round the alps. If there isn't are they just risking it????

Posted

Seismic activity around the South East and South West of the Volcano

2 in a few minutes. The plume is visible on floodwarn cam pages and the voda phone web cam page and is still pretty huge.

Disruption accross the UK looks likely again over the next week.

Posted

Vodafone cam is showing a clear view,Still lots of ash being ejected.

Posted

Trying to work out the logic of the airlines. Italian and Spanish air ports closed. If you look where the predicted plume will be it will be over the Alps yet there's a lot of aircraft in the area. Huge expected gap over France. Hopefully there's a hole present round the alps. If there isn't are they just risking it????

Hi PIT, many thanks for regularly posting the predicted ash cloud charts, please keep it up as I for one find it fascinating. It is a bit like being able to see the wind.

I also can't understand how some planes are flying AND LOOKING AT THE CHARTS WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO MAKE TRAVEL TO SOME PARTS OF eUROPE REALLY DIFFICULT.. Oops sorry, didn't notice I had pressed Caps Lock but I am not rewriting it. I wonder if they go over, round or just through.

A bit worrying.

I am hoping the reason the Thorolfsfelli cams are off at the moment is that they are recalibrating them. Viewing yesterday wasn't worth the effort in the end.

By the way, once you have mistakenly written in Caps instead of lower case is there anyway of highlighting it and changing it back? Probably a silly question but I am 60 and the computer is a new toy to me.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

morning every one im interested as to when the winds will change and start dragging the ash cloud back to the UK.Could this have an affect today to Northern Ireland the reason being my wife will be flying back late this evening to heathrow.

Posted

You really need to log onto netweather extra and look at the wind direction on there. It shows quite well where the ash cloud should go depending on the height of eruption plume and it's density. At the moment it's coming roughly our direction due to the long draw of the winds. Most of the ash is being kept out west before being pulled back in across Spain due to a low pressure round there.

i have been,but i was after other peoples thoughts on it.thanks for the reply :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

AND LOOKING AT THE CHARTS WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO MAKE TRAVEL TO SOME PARTS OF eUROPE REALLY DIFFICULT..

Lol the way Europe is portrayed with a small "e" in your last post made me chuckle, I could just imagine an exasperated bureaucrat from Brussels falling off his chair in disbelief :(

I have recently arrived back from a stay in East Anglia, did not notice any ash, of course the place was bloody freezing, even more so this year than usual.

I did however have a bit of a dry tickley cough by Wednesday, some locals did also, possably ash? who knows lol...

Just catching up with the volcano, that glacier is so stubborne, I had no idea that apparently glaciers do not easily yield to volcanic activity, unless its a really powerful eruption.

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Lol the way Europe is portrayed with a small "e" in your last post made me chuckle, I could just imagine an exasperated bureaucrat from Brussels falling off his chair in disbelief :(

I have recently arrived back from a stay in East Anglia, did not notice any ash, of course the place was bloody freezing, even more so this year than usual.

I did however have a bit of a dry tickley cough by Wednesday, some locals did also, possably ash? who knows lol...

Just catching up with the volcano, that glacier is so stubborne, I had no idea that apparently glaciers do not easily yield to volcanic activity, unless its a really powerful eruption.

Russ

That's very weird, I had a tickly throat on Wednesday too o_0

Posted

Russ

Tell me about it! Hate this part of the world in the spring with these dratted north-easterlies.

Seems that plenty of aircraft are reporting ash:

The Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland continues to erupt to a height of between 15-20,000 feet. The eruptions are fairly constant and continuing. Various aircraft reported ash over the mid Atlantic yesterday evening and also an ash cloud near the Pyrenees around 35000 feet. The dense areas of volcanic ash are expected to move across parts of France and Italy today. Issued at 0646 on Sun 09 May 2010.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

One hopes that safety isn't being comprised by the airlines.

Posted

Russ

I am glad it gave someone a laugh. :lol: I find it so frustrating when I can't just change the Caps back to what it should be.

Perhaps something the windows programme makers could look at.

Anyway, welcome back Rusty, you don't seem to have missed much on the volcano front since you have been away and the weather also down here has been unseasonally cold.

I am gutted I can't get onto the vodaphone cam as two of MILA cams now seem to be down. Ah, spoke too soon just connected to vodaphone.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Last advisory

Looks like they're flying straight through it at times. Only a matter of time before something happens.

post-2404-12734130957943_thumb.png

Posted

Last advisory

Looks like they're flying straight through it at times. Only a matter of time before something happens.

That's not good news, I have friends flying to Turkey tomorrow, I was hoping they would be flying around the cloud, not good news if they are flying through it. And if you refuse to fly there will be no refund.

Posted

I am glad it gave someone a laugh. :) I find it so frustrating when I can't just change the Caps back to what it should be.

Perhaps something the windows programme makers could look at.

You mean, the browser makers... What browser are you using? They will have something, you just need to google it.

If you have Word, try copy/pasting into that then highlight the words you want to change and hit Shift + F3. This will convert everything to lower case. YOu can then copy paste back into the browser.

Another option is to open another browswer window. Then go here: http://www.convertcase.net/ and follow the instructions.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

You mean, the browser makers... What browser are you using? They will have something, you just need to google it.

If you have Word, try copy/pasting into that then highlight the words you want to change and hit Shift + F3. This will convert everything to lower case. YOu can then copy paste back into the browser.

Another option is to open another browswer window. Then go here: http://www.convertcase.net/ and follow the instructions.

Many thanks for that LadyP. I tried that and can do it. Now can my poor brain remember it, going to have to save that somewhere.

By the way I am using Firefox as a browser.

Posted

Many thanks for that LadyP. I tried that and can do it. Now can my poor brain remember it, going to have to save that somewhere.

By the way I am using Firefox as a browser.

During my search I noticed a few Firefox addons for that browser. One is here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/121408

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

EJ is still there, looks like any other day up to now, just ticking over.

Long plume drifting out over the sea toward all the aeroplanes http://www3.hi.is/~ij/aska/ash20100509_1218_145.png

http://www3.hi.is/~ij/aska/ash20100509_1240.png

http://www3.hi.is/~ij/aska/ash20100509_1240_zoom.png

http://www3.hi.is/~ij/aska/contrails20100509_0812_345.png

http://feww.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/iceland2_1430-9may.jpg I think this one makes it seem closer to the UK...PANIC lol :pardon:

http://feww.wordpress.com/2010/05/08/eyjafjallajokull-eruption-%e2%80%93-modis-image-update-may-8/

This is interesting, from the picture in the article, wind blown ash, this of course is because its dry atm so the ash on the ground blows in the wind. Looks like quite a cloud to me, I wonder how far that can go?

Anyway back to the Sunday DIY'ing, fitting new door handle, so the dog that bit me can't open it and attack the dog that didn't bite me :)

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

we have got no fights here till 7 oclock tonight hope we get a window as my dad is coming up ,and i haven't seen him for about 3 years he's flighing tomorrow morning from heathrow to glasgow and then on to stornoway ,so fingers crossed for him flights were booked before all this kicked off

although i'm enjoying the volcano stuff

Posted

Good news, Thorolfsfelli cams both working again Bad news? Still got that dreadful autofocus messing up the focusing. :pardon:

Haha! Just got an email from the airline I am travelling with in June (hopefully!).

They say, Millions of summer flight and holiday offers. :rofl: I think I will pass this time. :)