Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Posted

Yes the ash looks more troublesome but you only need to worry if you're going across the pond. otherwise bar the odd Tourist or engineer nothing too see.

I posted a few weeks ago regarding my Boss who was due to fly out to Florida the day after the airports initially closed in April.

Well he managed to get out there a week later - not very happy but at least holiday wasn't cancelled.

He is due to fly back on Sunday.............................................................oh dear!......

Poor sod - the last time he went to Florida a few years back he was delayed a week due to a hurricane huh.gif

Posted

Arghh - extreme close up!! http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/ His ears sure look nice & clean.

I posted a few weeks ago regarding my Boss who was due to fly out to Florida the day after the airports initially closed in April.

Well he managed to get out there a week later - not very happy but at least holiday wasn't cancelled.

He is due to fly back on Sunday.............................................................oh dear!......

Poor sod - the last time he went to Florida a few years back he was delayed a week due to a hurricane huh.gif

Maybe he should take the hint and holiday in the UK next time! :pardon:

OOO the IR camera is online... http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/ NOthing very useful at the moment. Maybe they need to tweak it a bit.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

:pardon: As far as I am aware they are still setting it up. That must have been what all the gesturing and mobile talking was. But I am impatient too as I have to go out in a minute.

I see he's back on demand. :)

Posted

Europe is quite lucky that an upper low is cutting off over the UK right now deflecting the plume towards the Atlantic. Obviously this is a big issue for those going to states from Ireland but everywhere else, I'd have thought the planes could just fly over it.

That being said Ireland could well get ash coming in on a fairly frequant basis over the next week.

as far as I know the USA or Candian flights go,or can go around Iceland then onto Green land,I think this is the normal path...??

so shouldnt be a main problem.

many times I have flown to the USA and have always flown over Scotland ,N.Iceland,Greenland then down into Canada

Edited by dogs32

Arghh - extreme close up!! http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/ His ears sure look nice & clean.

Maybe he should take the hint and holiday in the UK next time! :pardon:

OOO the IR camera is online... http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/ NOthing very useful at the moment. Maybe they need to tweak it a bit.

I can't see anything on either of the cameras at the moment or am I not looking at it right? I tried squinting at it as if it was one of the Magic Eye pictures.

Posted

I can't see anything on either of the cameras at the moment or am I not looking at it right? I tried squinting at it as if it was one of the Magic Eye pictures.

Can you see it now? The cloud from the lower part of the image has cleared to show the valley & runoff area, up as far as the steam at the top of the glacier. The top normal image can be used to work out where you are in the lower IR image until you get your eye in.

Posted

Ash plume is still impressive and visible on the vodafone cam

Posted

by next tuesday winds are expected to come from the NNW.does this put mainland uk back in the firing line?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Latest report which indicates we're unlikely too see a lava outbreak any time soon.

http://en.vedur.is/media/jar/Eyjafjallajokull_status_2010-05-06_IES_IMO.pdf

If the winds do go back to the NNW there is a chance of ash coming back over the country.

Posted

Latest report which indicates we're unlikely too see a lava outbreak any time soon.

http://en.vedur.is/media/jar/Eyjafjallajokull_status_2010-05-06_IES_IMO.pdf

If the winds do go back to the NNW there is a chance of ash coming back over the country.

thanks PIT :D

Can you see it now? The cloud from the lower part of the image has cleared to show the valley & runoff area, up as far as the steam at the top of the glacier. The top normal image can be used to work out where you are in the lower IR image until you get your eye in.

:D I'm thinking along the lines of "can you tell what it is yet?"

Let me see...

Posted

Hvol cam showing the top of the plkumje right now: http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

I see I was beaten to it... :D

Hmm, look to the left - it looks like a smaller plume over there. No, trick of the light & cloud I think.

post-5343-12732207286407_thumb.jpg

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

by next tuesday winds are expected to come from the NNW.does this put mainland uk back in the firing line?.

Could be I guess depending on the volcanic activity.

We maybe set for a summer of volcanic discontent.

Maybe a bit early to be glib, perhaps let the dust settle first ?

Edited by stewfox

Posted

You can now see a good hot plume from the eruption site & bits of lava? peeking down slope on the FLIR cam.

http://eldgos.mila.i...fimmvorduhalsi/

Went away for half an hour (Must get some work done) and when I get back what a change on the vodaphone cam, superb picture of the plume now the clouds have cleared a bit.

Problem is now I can't get any of the Mila cams. GRRR

Got the Thorolfsfelli thermal cam at last but not the normal one. On the thermal the lower part of that plume is really showing up white hot.

Haha. Now LP beat me! And added a screenshot.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

FLIR view - white/red is hot, blues are cool.

That FLIR cam is a really useful tool now the clouds have gone.

It appears to be a much wider base to this current plume.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Even I can see that :( Is the small white blob below and to the left of the main plume a lava flow or a big blob spat out by the volcano??

Lava flow

Hooray, just got both picture on the Thorolfsfelli cams. All these wonderful views have been worth waiting for.

Earthquakes seem to have slowed right down, perhaps refueling is finished.

Edited by coldfingers