Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Some Geese fly in to have a look

post-2404-1273954875054_thumb.jpg

Posted

:lol: typical eh? put a camera anywhere in the world and some clown will stand there and make some kind of gesture to it :doh:

Posted

More Wallys on the webcam. Does everyone in the world have a mobile phone? Can't they just enjoy the beauty before them without flirting with the camera?

Posted

what makes me laugh is that they dont even seem to have a camera with them. if i was there i would be trying to get as many great shots as possible

Posted

what makes me laugh is that they dont even seem to have a camera with them. if i was there i would be trying to get as many great shots as possible

Even one of the webcam? :doh: If I was there I expect I would have cold fingers. :lol: but I would certainly have the best camera I could beg, borrow or steal!!

Posted

I wish when they start being tits a pyroclastic flow suddenly descends and we can laugh at them legging it.

Posted

I wish when they start being tits a pyroclastic flow suddenly descends and we can laugh at them legging it.

Funnily enough I was just thinking that I would never turn my back to a volcano!

Posted

What time is it possible to see the heat/fire in the volcano plume? Sunset was at 22.40-ish, but it still seems very light. Presumably you need to wait until at least midnight?

Posted

What time is it possible to see the heat/fire in the volcano plume? Sunset was at 22.40-ish, but it still seems very light. Presumably you need to wait until at least midnight?

Depends how much flame and heat is in the plume. As it is hardly getting pitch black at night now it means late watching I am afraid. In half an hour you could start to see some flame if you are lucky and/or watch carefully but from midnight would be a better chance. Getting light again by 3:00am I found last night. Also the cams are very good at changing for low light levels so it does make it harder to see at first. Just wish for no cloud.

Usually it is easier to see it from the Thorolfsfelli cam first as it is darker that side.

Edit. Don't forget Icelandic time is one hour different to BST so the sun hasn't set yet.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Can someone with some knowledge on the subject have a look at this story and tell me if it is credible or is it speculation?

http://www.timesonli...icle7127706.ece

Hmmm! If it is we had better get used to travelling to Europe on overcrowded buses and trains. :unknw: Bring back the ferries and give us longer holidays I say. :D If you are of a nervous disposition don't read the comments underneath. :D

One thing is for sure, she isn't showing any signs of slowing down just yet.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I'd say it was credible speculation, nobody really can predict it will last years but the people saying it are well informed and know more than most, so it is believable. Obviously if the Mail had reported that it would have gone along the lines of EUROPE DOOMED FOR NEXT 50 YEARS AS VOLCANIC ICELAND WIPED OFF MAP. :unknw:

Posted

Hmmm! If it is we had better get used to travelling to Europe on overcrowded buses and trains. :unknw: Bring back the ferries and give us longer holidays I say. :D If you are of a nervous disposition don't read the comments underneath. :D

One thing is for sure, she isn't showing any signs of slowing down just yet.

Although "jimmy jamms" comment might be worth a read! Scary stuff!

Posted

Can someone with some knowledge on the subject have a look at this story and tell me if it is credible or is it speculation?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article7127706.ece

Some of it is speculation some of it is fact. Hekla since 1970 has gone into a ten year cycle however there's no reason why this should continue so it could sleep for years to come again. Katla is also due for an eruption. Grimsvotn is very active so can go any time. Asklja not so active but again has been quiet for a while so can be considered over due.

No one knows when these volcano's will decide to erupt there's a good chance all of them will in the next fifty to hundred years though at one time or another.

Anyway not much too see of the lady this morning it seems rather hazy at the moment.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Im more concerned about the comments jimmy jams made in that Times article!

Speaking of concerns my niece flies to Cyprus on wednesday from Newcastle airport. Now apparently the airspace will be clear over the UK but will this be the case over Europe. I say im concerned because I still believe the airlines are putting money ahead of safety!

Posted

I say im concerned because I still believe the airlines are putting money ahead of safety

your not the only one.

Posted

Although "jimmy jamms" comment might be worth a read! Scary stuff!

"jimmy Jams" comment is the usual 2012 doomsday rubbish. There are a few nuggets of truth in there, the Norwegians have built a 'seed ark' in a tunnel, but where is the science for the magnetic pole reversal? I know it's happened before, I know it's overdue, but being overdue doesn't mean it will happen tomorrow.

The Solar Maximum now looks as though it will be between 2014 and 2015 ( we seem to be in an enduring minimum, with Solar Flux collapsing back to 69), and we can get flares any time, so saying that they'll reach earth in 2012, probably true, will it cause problems? Possibly, but unlikely.

I've yet to see scientific corroboration of the Galactic alignment, I've searched for good scientific data, can't find any, New Age stuff? Tons of it, all uncorroborated

The Earthquake swarm mentioned, that happened a few weeks ago in Baja California ( Mexico), it never got near the San Andreas fault. And earthquake swarms do happen, including one in Yellowstone. Look at them this way, lots of little tremors instead of one big one

Yes it's scarey, yes, it could happen, but all at the same time?? I doubt it

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather