Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Posted

Infrared seems to show a lavastream now.

Good isn't it! :unsure: Look at the size of that plume now on the hvolsvelli cam. http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-hvolsvelli/

And Mulakot. http://www.mulakot.net/myndavelar.html

Posted

Absolutely phenomenal pictures from the webcam this evening, the heat signatures very high up into the cloud indicate to me anyway that the current eruption is continuing to increase in strength.

Posted

Wondering what the light is on the clouds on the Hvolsveli cam, looks like it could be light from lava flow reflecting off the low cloud.

Edit 1:47am Very interesting, 10 earthquakes all in a row and all within the space of 30 mins.

Edit 2:00am. Another two earthquakes, the last three have all been 22km deep.

Edit 2:09a, Quakes coming thick and fast now, three more, a total of 15 in one hour.

Off to bed now so will check again if I wake in the night. Lava flow on the thermal cam and flames on the wide one at Thorolfsvelli.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

A total of 28 quakes now since midnight Icelandic time. Less than 3 hours. No chance of this eruption finishing any time soon I think.

Posted

It apears to be much stronger to me, the heat signertures on flir goin a lot further up then any other day

i think lava is gettin closer to d edge?

post-9379-12738968312372_thumb.jpg

post-9379-12738976603285_thumb.jpg

Edited by lfcdude

Posted

Earthquake activity seems to have settled, just 2 in the past 4 hours. Plume still going strong.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/#view=table

Edited by picog

Posted

Just a few minutes ago I noticed a white plume on the slope just left and one quarter of the total heighth above the most left building. Anyone seen that before?-edit- there are more now, so I guess they're just clouds. Forgot to mention it was on Mulakot.

Edited by nightfire800

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Just a few minutes ago I noticed a white plume on the slope just left and one quarter of the total heighth above the most left building. Anyone seen that before?-edit- there are more now, so I guess they're just clouds. Forgot to mention it was on Mulakot.

I imagine the white plume is steam coming off the glacier where the lava is flowing, but I could be wrong.

Posted

I can see the plume is a lot more impressive than yesterday afternoon! Good to hear there were many earthquakes too!

Karyo

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Morning folks after a busy morning time to catch up. Well it seems that flight safety rules have been changed again so is there any point posting vaac pictures???

Amazing nothing was cancelled yesterday. Anyway looking like another plume will come into play possibly later tomorrow depending on the winds of course.

Infra red camera down of course but the plume seems to going well again. Interesting earth quake activity. I wonder if there's a sill injection going on.

post-2404-12739197921636_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

the Infra red camera is working whistling.gif

Not here it wasn't wouldn't load up. Guess it depends on how many are watching.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Aberdeen airport lastest update:

'All of BAA's airports are open. The volcanic ash cloud coming from Iceland continues to cause occasional problems and passengers are therefore advised to check their airline website for the latest travel information.'

we have not had plane all day here on the isles of lewis

According to the Glasgow Aiport website a flight left there for Stornoway at 11.26am so it should be with you by now (or soon).

Are the airlines going to keep increasing the tolerance of their engines until something happens or is it considered safe to fly through some ash now?