Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Posted

http://api.met.no/we..._type=image/gif

The board will not allow me to post the live animated gif above direct from the Norway Meteorology Institute, but it certainly looks as if the UK could have some airport closures.

post-11725-12739223396955_thumb.png

Yes - breaking news now. DfT saying airspace closures Sunday - Tuesday including SE England.

Posted

Shuggee you beat me to it! http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/8684540.stm

The bottom one is going to use up all the black ink very quickly (well you know what I mean). Does this mean that Hekla might erupt?

No I very much doubt it. apparently this helicorder picks up tremors from Eyjafjallajokul so that should be what it is recording unless of course it is strong wind signals which are a possibility. Don't know though if the wind is that strong where it is sited or not.Checking it again it seems to be unusual signals so could pssibly be wind, if not something very unusual is happening I would have thought.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Does ask the question what happened with yesterdays ash cloud.

Helka doesn't give prolonged warnings of an eruption. Apart from that the Helicorder as Coldfingers says isn't monitoring that volcano. I suspect that is wind it's picking up as the other recorders aren't going nuts.

I suspect airlines will keep going until there's a crash.

Posted

Does ask the question what happened with yesterdays ash cloud.

Helka doesn't give prolonged warnings of an eruption. Apart from that the Helicorder as Coldfingers says isn't monitoring that volcano. I suspect that is wind it's picking up as the other recorders aren't going nuts.

I suspect airlines will keep going until there's a crash.

Reading between the lines on the bbc news page I posted the link to it does look like the new gov is going to be keeping an eye on things ash wise. Someone certainly needs to as I don't have any faith in business to be ethical I am afraid.

Posted

No I very much doubt it. apparently this helicorder picks up tremors from Eyjafjallajokul so that should be what it is recording unless of course it is strong wind signals which are a possibility. Don't know though if the wind is that strong where it is sited or not.Checking it again it seems to be unusual signals so could pssibly be wind, if not something very unusual is happening I would have thought.

It is wind - there is a link at the bottom of the helicorder page that show the wind speed in the area of the recorder & the guy who set it up has said it is wind noise.

Posted

It is wind - there is a link at the bottom of the helicorder page that show the wind speed in the area of the recorder & the guy who set it up has said it is wind noise.

Thanks for the confirmation LadyP.

That ash column is looking really huge and strong now, the wind doesn't even seem to be bending it and looking at all the dust being kicked up on the Mulakot cam it is pretty windy there too. Tremors low on the esk chart though so not sure if that means the lava isn't flowing as stongly.

Posted

Thanks for the confirmation LadyP.

That ash column is looking really huge and strong now, the wind doesn't even seem to be bending it and looking at all the dust being kicked up on the Mulakot cam it is pretty windy there too. Tremors low on the esk chart though so not sure if that means the lava isn't flowing as stongly.

Pretty much my favourite cam at the moment showing all the ash around. No light aircraft there today me thinks unless it belongs to KLM or BA.

Posted

Pretty much my favourite cam at the moment showing all the ash around. No light aircraft there today me thinks unless it belongs to KLM or BA.

Oooooh cheeky! :) Wish I could take a parachute when I fly in June. Not flying with BA though so may be OK, even going to miss the strike action.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Ah, so the mention of Hekla in brackets below the heading of the second chart is just to confuse numpties like me? :unknw: :lol:

Posted

http://news.sky.com/...e_Volcanic_Ash_

There u go from 2mor uk airports could shut until tuesday

Sounds like BA aren't very happy they may be forced to stop flights.

Quote. :-

A spokesman for British Airways said meetings are being held with Nats to work out the likely impact of the ash.

He said: "There is a possibility of some disruption of airspace but we can't give any firm details yet.

"The public will understand if there are some disruptions. It is out of our hands.

"I don't want to jump to any conclusions - we don't know if it will even extend this far yet."

Posted

Latest vaac showing the BA avoiding ash cloud prediction.

Sounds like BA aren't very happy they may be forced to stop flights.

Quote. :-

A spokesman for British Airways said meetings are being held with Nats to work out the likely impact of the ash.

He said: "There is a possibility of some disruption of airspace but we can't give any firm details yet.

"The public will understand if there are some disruptions. It is out of our hands.

"I don't want to jump to any conclusions - we don't know if it will even extend this far yet."

Translated this means we will tell nats the correct procedures and safety values. There is no ash up there just some people smoking cigs near our engines when they're parked up.

post-2404-1273930389517_thumb.png

Posted

Something keeps falling down, every so often, in front of that split rock - hot water maybe. The whole runoff fan looks quite warm today and steam is rising from it in places, off and on.

Could be dust being blown about I suppose...?

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

In just under 4 weeks I'm off on an expedition to a remote North Atlantic island which involves flying into Stornoway. Nine months in the planning. Damn ash cloud better disappear by then. :D

Posted

In just under 4 weeks I'm off on an expedition to a remote North Atlantic island which involves flying into Stornoway. Nine months in the planning. Damn ash cloud better disappear by then. :D

Isn't that when there's the FI Northerly???

Don't worry they'll be new guidelines by then.

The new ash clouds from the met office. I prefer the vaacs what do you think. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/volcano/ashconcentration/index.html

Posted

Something keeps falling down, every so often, in front of that split rock - hot water maybe. The whole runoff fan looks quite warm today and steam is rising from it in places, off and on.

Could be dust being blown about I suppose...?

Sure doesn't look like dust. Small white plumes every now and then. Even one rolling down just a minute ago, so I gues there is a bombardment going on.

Posted

Interesting that the tremor rate has dropped to the lowest rate since the eruption began, yet she still seems to have no problem blowing her top.

Posted

Interesting that the tremor rate has dropped to the lowest rate since the eruption began, yet she still seems to have no problem blowing her top.

Tremor looks to be the same as when the eruption began. Still the vent won't be blocked so the magma doesn't have to push it's way through.

Posted

Assessment - 15 May 2010 17:25

The eruption plume is gray and the height is mainly ~ 6 - 7 km / 21,000 - 24,000 ft, occasionally reaching 8 km / 27,000 ft. It is heading southwest and later south.

Ashfall has been reported south of Eyjafjallajökull and ashdrift southeast of Eyjafjallajökull.

An earthquake swarm started beneath Eyjafjallajökull just before midnight. In the period between 23:54 and 02:45, more than thirty earthquakes were located at depth greater than 20 km and magnitude less than Ml 2. A few more earthquakes were detected until morning.

No major changes are seen in the activity, the ash cloud is slightly higher than yesterday. Presently there are no indications that the eruption is about to end.

Details in status report issued collectively by the Icelandic Meteorological Office and the Institute of Earth Sciences at 15:00.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/1884

Posted

Not sure if that is ash falling or dust blowing on the Mulakot cam but visibility is poor at the moment.

Heat in the plume on the thermal cam seems to be increasing but I suppose it could always be thinner cloud allowing the heat through.

Tremor on the charts struggling to rise from a deep trough.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Wow. Those don't look like clouds on the AXIS cam. I'm pretty sure that's one big pile of steam. It's not going any direction. Just hanging around the ashplume.