Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook

Posted

Im suprised not much lightning has been detected yet hope il see some soon for the SE as im gunna track it.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Thanks Ian for the info earlier. ATM we have quite a sheet of cloud here, but radar shows showers approaching. What is the estimated arrival time for the MCS/plume here (S. Norfolk) tomorrow morning?

Posted

Looks as though i am slightly too far west to catch any of the activity. Will have to wait and see but i think it will be more of a kent/london/thames estuary/essex thing sad.gif

Posted

Quick indeed; first bouts of (regular) lightning suddenly now lighting-up the ATDNet system in the SE quadrant of the Brest Peninsula, south of Pontivy....a foretaste for the SE of England, perhaps? We shall see.....

Ian

Can I just say how nice it is to have you posting on NetWeather - it provides us with a significant extra input into our hobby from a genuine professional and is much appreciated

Posted

Once again can I thank Ian Fergusson for his knowledgeable input and resources tonight and wish everyone all the storms they would want! Remember, if it dosen't happen tonight, look to Tuesday!!

Posted

My apologies Ian,

I was trying to emphasize the lack of anything thundery, they was certainly convective showers, but what with the moisture, and the heat (with CAPE) both surface based and mixed-level, along with a negative lifted index, what was the missing ingredients, something stopped the trigger from pulling.

Is it because of the pressure? With HP still more or less in-charge with pressure dropping from the South?

Please forgive me

regards

No need to apologise! The 'missing ingredient(s)' remains rather elusive but subject to considerable study..... in essence, not all CB's are thundery! But let's see what happens once the upper forcing starts to get into the act properly, versus the largely diurnal processes this afternoon / evening. Fingers-crossed for you! Cheers, Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

ian i was just reading your weather blog i live in north watford (I say north west london because im inside the M25)

wt part was that fire? I live near garston.

Edited by Mesodiscussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some intriguing cloud formations in Norwich at the moment but the main shower to the south is moving off to the east, providing just a few spots of rain. A cumulonimbus anvil is visible to the W and SW at present, with the radar still showing the main cells to the south and west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

New cell sprung up around Lichfield (N of Birmingham) on the Radar. Light for now.

Posted

Echoes looking promising to south west of nottingham and we are now getting a shower that has made me have to fetch the washing in. Hopefully things are starting to kick off again looking at the radar for our area.

Posted

Once again can I thank Ian Furgesson for his knowledgeable input and resources tonight and wish everyone all the storms they would want! Remember, if it dosen't happen tonight, look to Tuesday!!

Indeed. Any professional input is valuable and appreciated.

Posted

Am i right in thinking the 'main event' has still to come..lots of thundery looking clouds around here atm..and just noticed some cells firing off in Northern Ireland.

Be amazing to see a night time storm. :)

Posted

Thanks Ian F for your great input (have you got another 3am start tomorrow?? lol). Good luck to all those in the 'risk' zone over the next 24hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There is clearly some high-level instability developing, since there are some sharp showers sprouting up in the Midlands area despite no solar forcing. Could be an interesting night for some if this becomes more prominent as the trough moves closer.

Posted

Some intriguing cloud formations in Norwich at the moment but the main shower to the south is moving off to the east, providing just a few spots of rain. A cumulonimbus anvil is visible to the W and SW at present, with the radar still showing the main cells to the south and west.

I'm watching those radar echos and can see the dark clouds to my SW - possibly one and the same?

Posted

LATEST LIGHTNING is....

That increasingly vigorous cell tracking NNE, previously mentioned by a correspondent here.... north of Banbury, Oxon. It's delivered lightning a few mins ago overhead the village of Priors Hardwick (Oxon, I assume).

Posted

Once again can I thank Ian Furgesson for his knowledgeable input and resources tonight and wish everyone all the storms they would want! Remember, if it dosen't happen tonight, look to Tuesday!!

Ian

Can I just say how nice it is to have you posting on NetWeather - it provides us with a significant extra input into our hobby from a genuine professional and is much appreciated

Amen to that. :)

Variety of cloud types inidicating unstable mid layers, just about everyone one in the book infact. :p

Edited by jshaw

Posted

LATEST LIGHTNING is....

That increasingly vigorous cell tracking NNE, previously mentioned by a correspondent here.... north of Banbury, Oxon. It's delivered lightning a few mins ago overhead the village of Priors Hardwick (Oxon, I assume). Plus second cell now forming just south above Deddington, near Brackley. Northampton in the firing line, perhaps?

Posted

I'm watching those radar echos and can see the dark clouds to my SW - possibly one and the same?

I think it's very likely- it's usually possible to "see" the weather that's going on towards the SW of East Anglia from here.

On another note, as others have said the inputs of Ian Ferguson are much appreciated here.

Posted

Once again can I thank Ian Fergusson for his knowledgeable input and resources tonight and wish everyone all the storms they would want! Remember, if it dosen't happen tonight, look to Tuesday!!

Here here!

I have my fingers and toes crossed for some thunder later tonight/early morning, and shall keep dipping in and out this thread for updates on potential/chances good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I swear i just heard a rumble?

Posted

That tiny red blob has been just east of my postcode zoom for hours now, it must be an anaprop. That developing area of rain to the south must be real though I don't expect much to come of it, should do the gardens some good though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Couple of cells (Light at present) developing in Worcestershire now.

Posted

I think it's very likely- it's usually possible to "see" the weather that's going on towards the SW of East Anglia from here.

On another note, as others have said the inputs of Ian Ferguson are much appreciated here.

TWS - what's your view re arrival time of the MCS or whatever it is tonight/tomorrow morning? Earlier on, the suggestion was around 6 am.

EDIT: looking at NW radar, I think the cell to my SW is dividing into 2.

Edited by chrisbell0033944