Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

My head is pounding , a good sign of storms in my opinion!

I remember the 28th July 2008 which was a scorcher of a day and by the afternoon/evening my head was really pounding. It was mega hot and sticky and everything was so still which let to some 4 hours of thunder and lightning and torrential rain. :unsure:

Posted

Really, migraines and thunderstorms? Always thought that was just a myth.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, was just a tad surprised.

Its quite logical but some people are more prone then others I'd have thought to suffering from it.

Anyway, few isolated cells about in the south at the moment, could be a couple go up in the next hour in W.London where the heating breaks the cap, but the main fun and games is still a while away yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Posted

Good Luck guys :unsure:

Hopefully by tomorrow we can all post some Pics of Lightning and Storms, Have a Moderate Risk over here as well with 10% Tornado Risk. So between the 2 Countries we should get something decent.

Cameras at the ready!

Paul S

Posted

Really, migraines and thunderstorms? Always thought that was just a myth.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, was just a tad surprised.

For those interested - - One study example from last year (straying a tad off-topic on this one occasion, but posted here to save doing so on another area of the forum!) = http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7931945.stm

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

For those interested - - One study example from last year (straying a tad off-topic on this one occasion, but posted here to save doing so on another area of the forum!) = http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7931945.stm

Thanks Ian , interesting read... though not all that suprising

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

First ppn of the day on my postcode radar zoom - small shower around Ipswich. Now about to go round to my local shop - will update you with what I see cloud-wise when I get back.

Edited by chrisbell0033944

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Somewhat more substantial cumulus now, and its rather gloomy to my SW and W. :)

And good luck over on the plains. :hi:

Unfortunately they aren't on the plains..up in the NE, Iowa,Indiana, Illinois area.. Hope they get some decent terrain...

The clouds here earlier have somewhat dissipated but satellite imagery showing cu bubbling up again, if there is any storms

here i think it'll be early evening at the earliest..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

nice small trough trying to form South East of Bristol

Yes Dogs i've been watching that too.Not too far away from Swindon now.

Posted

First ppn of the day on my postcode radar zoom - small shower around Ipswich. Now about to go round to my local shop - will update you with what I see cloud-wise when I get back.

Hi Chris - that's very unlikely to be actual PPN. It's almost certainly the radar picking-up reflectivity from the growing Cu / TCu cells. You'll note a scattering of similar returns elsewhere (including W & N of London).... but it's a start, for sure!!

Posted

Hi Chris - that's very unlikely to be actual PPN. It's almost certainly the radar picking-up reflectivity from the growing Cu / TCu cells. You'll note a scattering of similar returns elsewhere (including W & N of London).... but it's a start, for sure!!

Thats what i thought earlier, it was a really slight blue patch on the radar, went outside for a smoke and it was drizzling :hi:

Posted

Same here, have had weak ppn on the radar near my post code for some time now, I think its just picking up water in the mid level cumulus clouds dotting the area.

Posted

Building up nicely in W, London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Thanks Ian - I'm still a novice so any info is welcome! Would the same apply to more generalised frontal rain - i.e. I have seen pale blue over my location with no rain falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I see the Meto has a warning out for NE Scotland, there are some very intence looking showers up there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Alot of convection getting going to my south at the moment

Posted

Quite a large developing updraft base to my South West now, very dark and well defined. Certainly looks capable of producing sporadic lightning. Keeping my eyes and ears peeled.

Thing is its embedded into a cover of mid level cloud, making it hard to see how tall the updrafts are.

Unfortunately they aren't on the plains..up in the NE, Iowa,Indiana, Illinois area.. Hope they get some decent terrain...

Oops, a chance of hills and trees in the way then? Sorry I didn't know.

Edited by jshaw

Posted

Yes Dogs i've been watching that too.Not too far away from Swindon now.

Hi guys,

It's a weak(ening) feature, seemingly fed also by a bit of surface convergence focus into Somerset.... the SREWS it's passed over have shown zilch, despite radar hinting at that little line of PPN being squeezed from it. The upper forcing will sttart to show it's hand from now onwards into the SW.... we'll see how it all pans-out from now!

Posted

lovely convection taking place here in southyorkshire! very humid and not that hazy with high level convection! seems like it could happen!

Posted

Thanks Ian - I'm still a novice so any info is welcome! Would the same apply to more generalised frontal rain - i.e. I have seen pale blue over my location with no rain falling.

It can indeed do so - a more typical scenario is for the radar to pick-up on genuine PPN falling, for example, from mid-level clouds but then evaporating through a dry, warm boundary layer and never materialising at ground level. There's all manner of similar artefacts to by wary of, including the radar over-reading at it's extreme range; or for that matter some of the useful little clues it can offer, such as 'spiking' from hail production aloft in CB cells. If I spot any intteresting such stuff later today, I'll highlight 'em for you.

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted

lovely convection taking place here in southyorkshire! very humid and not that hazy with high level convection! seems like it could happen!

yes small cumulnimbus towers here now,can just about see them through the haze..

direction South/East Glos

Edited by dogs32