Cold?
IGNORED

In The News

jethro

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Posted

New materials could slash energy costs for CO2 capture

Study IDs ‘zeolite’ minerals that are one-third more efficient for carbon capture

HOUSTON — (May 30, 2012) — A detailed analysis of more than 4 million absorbent minerals has determined that new materials could help electricity producers slash as much as 30 percent of the “parasitic energy†costs associated with removing carbon dioxide from power plant emissions.

The research by scientists at Rice University, the University of California, Berkeley, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) and the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) was published online this week in the journal Nature Materials.

http://news.rice.edu...or-co2-capture/

Edited by Weather Ship

Posted

Seems Scotland wasn't the only place breaking May warmth records

http://thinkprogress...-stunning-766f/

The record books for Greenland’s climate were re-written [last] Tuesday, when the mercury hit 24.8°C (76.6°F) at Narsarsuaq, Greenland, on the southern coast. According to weather records researcher Maximiliano Herrera, this is the hottest temperature on record in Greenland for May, and is just 0.7°C (1.3°F) below the hottest temperature ever measured in Greenland. The previous May record was 22.4°C (72.3°F) at Kangerlussuaq (called Sondre Stormfjord in Danish) on May 31, 1991. The 25.2°C at Narsarsuaq on June 22, 1957 is the only June temperature measured in Greenland warmer than yesterday’s 24.8°C reading. Wunderground’s extremes page shows that the all-time warmest temperature record for Greenland is 25.5°C (77.9°F) set on July 26, 1990.

Posted

Air Pollution Linked to Chronic Heart Disease

High pollution increases risk of repeated heart attacks by over 40 percent, says TAU researcher

Air pollution, a serious danger to the environment, is also a major health risk, associated with respiratory infections, lung cancer and heart disease. Now a Tel Aviv University researcher has concluded that not only does air pollution impact cardiac events such as heart attack and stroke, but it also causes repeated episodes over the long term.

http://www.aftau.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16735

Posted

There have been two or three papers on this.

Cornell researchers warn that Arctic ice melt is setting stage for severe winters

ITHACA, N.Y. – The dramatic melt-off of Arctic sea ice due to climate change is hitting closer to home than millions of Americans might think.

That's because melting Arctic sea ice can trigger a domino effect leading to increased odds of severe winter weather outbreaks in the Northern Hemisphere's middle latitudes – think the "Snowmageddon" storm that hamstrung Washington, D.C., during February 2010.

Cornell's Charles H. Greene, professor of earth and atmospheric sciences, and Bruce C. Monger, senior research associate in the same department, detail this phenomenon in a paper published in the June issue of the journal Oceanography.

"Everyone thinks of Arctic climate change as this remote phenomenon that has little effect on our everyday lives," Greene said. "But what goes on in the Arctic remotely forces our weather patterns here."

A warmer Earth increases the melting of sea ice during summer, exposing darker ocean water to incoming sunlight. This causes increased absorption of solar radiation and excess summertime heating of the ocean – further accelerating the ice melt. The excess heat is released to the atmosphere, especially during the autumn, decreasing the temperature and atmospheric pressure gradients between the Arctic and middle latitudes.

A diminished latitudinal pressure gradient is associated with a weakening of the winds associated with the polar vortex and jet stream. Since the polar vortex normally retains the cold Arctic air masses up above the Arctic Circle, its weakening allows the cold air to invade lower latitudes.

The recent observations present a new twist to the Arctic Oscillation – a natural pattern of climate variability in the Northern Hemisphere. Before humans began warming the planet, the Arctic's climate system naturally oscillated between conditions favorable and those unfavorable for invasions of cold Arctic air.

"What's happening now is that we are changing the climate system, especially in the Arctic, and that's increasing the odds for the negative AO conditions that favor cold air invasions and severe winter weather outbreaks," Greene said. "It's something to think about given our recent history."

This past winter, an extended cold snap descended on central and Eastern Europe in mid-January, with temperatures approaching minus 22 degrees Fahrenheit and snowdrifts reaching rooftops. And there were the record snowstorms fresh in the memories of residents from several eastern U.S. cities, such as Washington, New York and Philadelphia, as well as many other parts of the Eastern Seaboard during the previous two years.

Greene and Monger did note that their paper is being published just after one of the warmest winters in the eastern U.S. on record.

"It's a great demonstration of the complexities of our climate system and how they influence our regional weather patterns," Greene said.

In any particular region, many factors can have an influence, including the El Nino/La Nina cycle. This winter, La Nina in the Pacific shifted undulations in the jet stream so that while many parts of the Northern Hemisphere were hit by the severe winter weather patterns expected during a bout of negative AO conditions, much of the eastern United States basked in the warm tropical air that swung north with the jet stream.

"It turns out that while the eastern U.S. missed out on the cold and snow this winter, and experienced record-breaking warmth during March, many other parts of the Northern Hemisphere were not so fortunate," Greene said.

Europe and Alaska experienced record-breaking winter storms, and the global average temperature during March 2012 was cooler than any other March since 1999.

"A lot of times people say, 'Wait a second, which is it going to be – more snow or more warming?' Well, it depends on a lot of factors, and I guess this was a really good winter demonstrating that," Greene said. "What we can expect, however, is the Arctic wildcard stacking the deck in favor of more severe winter outbreaks in the future."

###

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-06/cu-cr060612.php

Posted

I find this truly disturbing and I'd imagine (or better hope) that anyone with an interest in science and the environment would find what's going on in Canada equally vile.

back in 2008, soon after Stephen Harper won his second minority, his Conservatives issued a new "protocol" to all scientists working for the federal government — so that's people in departments like Health Canada, Environment Canada, and the Department for Fisheries and Oceans. The protocol says that those scientists are no longer allowed to talk to the media without permission from Harper's public relations officials first. If a scientist wants to discuss their work, Conservative PR people decide whether or not they're allowed to. And if the interview is approved, Conservative PR people decide what the scientists are — and are not — allowed to say...

...So, for instance: the head of molecular genetics at the Department for Fisheries and Oceans did some research into why salmon populations in Western Canada are going down. She found that it might be because of a cancer-related virus in the water — one that might have gotten there from nearby industrial fisheries. Her findings were published in Science, one of the most reputable peer-reviewed scientific journals in the world. Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell helped to get it started. But when Science sent out a press release about the article and, as usual, supplied the scientist's name as a contact, reporters discovered that she wasn't actually allowed to talk to them about it. Harper's government didn't want her to; her findings didn't fit with the Conservatives' pro-industry stance. So they were enforcing their new rule and refusing to let her discuss her work in public. (Later, when the BBC wanted to talk her about the protocol; the government wouldn't let her talk about that either.)

Have a read of the article. If this can happen in somewhere like Canada, there's no reason to believe it could happen elsewhere.

http://www.littlered...on-science.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I find this truly disturbing and I'd imagine (or better hope) that anyone with an interest in science and the environment would find what's going on in Canada equally vile.

Have a read of the article. If this can happen in somewhere like Canada, there's no reason to believe it could happen elsewhere.

http://www.littlered...on-science.html

Agreed BFTV...If the 'conservatives' can't 'win' on scientific grounds, they simply silence the scientists. Here, they have the scientists running around trying to comply with spurious FOI requests...

Posted

Just in case nobody has heard about this yet http://arcticready.com/kids

A screen shot from the page

oWD0Y.png

Posted

Carbon dioxide levels reach a new milestone

UP, UP and away. Parts of the planet have seen levels of carbon dioxide rise above 400 parts per million for the first time. Although it's largely symbolic, the milestone is a stark reminder of humanity's powerful influence on the atmosphere.

"During the month of April, the mean was over 400 ppm for the first time, throughout the Arctic," says Pieter Tans of the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Earth System Research Laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. CO2 levels reach an annual peak around April as the gas is released by respiration, and then fall over the summer as plants suck it up. As a result, the 2012 average will be a little lower, at about 393 ppm.

Nevertheless, Tans says global levels will top 400 ppm in a few years.

The Arctic is not the only place seeing record levels. The Japan Meteorological Agency has reported levels above 400 ppm for both March and April at a monitoring station in Ofunato, according to local media.

Despite its psychological significance, there's nothing to suggest 400 ppm is a major threshold in the climate system, according to Tans. In fact, we don't know what a safe level of CO2 would be.

The campaign group 350.org wants levels reduced to 350 ppm, but Tans says that is arbitrary. The safe level could be 380 ppm, or 320 ppm - we just don't know. As a result, any growth in CO2 increases the risk of catastrophic climate change.

"We're playing a very dangerous game," Tans says.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21428681.800-carbon-dioxide-levels-reach-a-new-milestone.html

Posted

Just in case, for the more gullible amongst you, arcticready is a spoof site.

Activism is turning ugly on both sides of the argument. Science RIP.

Posted

Just in case, for the more gullible amongst you, arcticready is a spoof site.

Activism is turning ugly on both sides of the argument. Science RIP.

I know loafer, 'twas just amusing!

There are a few similar ones like it, and seeing as it's targeting a business for its practises, rather than attacking anything to do with science, I don't think we need to pronounce science dead just yet!

Having studied petroleum geology and apparently being qualified to work in the industry (which many of my class mates will be doing from now on), I find it quite funny!

http://arcticready.com/social/gallery

Posted

You clearly have a different sense of humour to me, and view of what is acceptable practise.

Posted

I think everybody has differing senses of humour and opinions on what is acceptable or not. That's life.

I can't really feel bad when someone sets up s spoof site about a company that spends tens if not hundreds of millions on lobbying and advertising to get their own way. Perhaps that's just me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Apologies but this isn't news or even vaguely related to news but I can hardly open a thread called "Help me".

Are there any kind people here who have access to papers from Environmental Geochemistry + Health?

I'm trying to find a paper published in 1990 in Volume 12, issue 4, pages 291-300. It's called "Heavy metals in soils in North Somerset, England with special reference to contamination from base metals mining in the Mendip's" - Authors B E Davies + R C Ballinger.

Can any of you help?

Posted

Hi J. I found the article as I assume you already have. It annoys me what they charge for a single archived article. One way you possibly could get it, I have in the past, as you know the exact details of the article, is from the British Library via your local library. Then you no doubt already know that. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Edited by Weather Ship

Posted

Thanks WS.

Yes, I've found the abstract but it doesn't give enough info to be useful; like you, I object to the ridiculous cost they charge and the conditions they attach to the copy you've paid for. I understand the need to protect people's work but when it's 22 years old, it just seems like they're making money just because they can.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow, atlantic storms, hot sun and thunderstorms

Thanks WS.

Yes, I've found the abstract but it doesn't give enough info to be useful; like you, I object to the ridiculous cost they charge and the conditions they attach to the copy you've paid for. I understand the need to protect people's work but when it's 22 years old, it just seems like they're making money just because they can.

I quite agree its not good, I don't see how it is protecting the work in any way either its already published and would have to be referenced in any future publications if quoted or used in any way. It might be worth getting in touch with Bristol Uni or Exeter as they may have those journals in their library for reference. Whilst I was a post grad at UEA most of the journals including Environmental Geochemistry were on the shelves and archived versions could be retrieved easily so Bristol may have a similar set up. Depending on what it is you are trying to find out the Environment Agency or even the planning auithority may be useful as well. Many of the planning applications I get involved with for work now require some form of contamination assessment, sometimes intrusive ground investigations and chemical testing, these should be public register information and retreivable from the regulators, unfortunately I can't help directly as none of my projects have been in N Somerset.

M

Posted

I had the same problem with an article from 1950 in an American journal. There fee for the article was actually quite small but if I wanted to use it the fee was $200 per page!!. Although in practice nobody is going to sue you over it.

Your suggestions regarding universty libraries is certainly one route, and there are some on here with access, but I must admit I've found the British Library much easier. Assuming the service is still available as I haven't used it for a couple of years. You have to have the exact ref. as obviously they aren't going to do a search for you.

Posted

Thanks Moomin.

I'll give the local council a go before tackling the edifice of the local library.

Posted
Virginia’s legislature commissioned a $50,000 study to determine the impacts of climate change on the state’s shores. To greenlight the project, they omitted words like “climate change†and “sea level rise†from the study’s description itself. According to the House of Delegates sponsor of the study, these are “liberal code words,â€...

...Instead of using climate change, sea level rise, and global warming, the study uses terms like “coastal resiliency†and “recurrent flooding.â€

http://thinkprogress...astal-flooding/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow, atlantic storms, hot sun and thunderstorms

I had the same problem with an article from 1950 in an American journal. There fee for the article was actually quite small but if I wanted to use it the fee was $200 per page!!. Although in practice nobody is going to sue you over it.

Your suggestions regarding universty libraries is certainly one route, and there are some on here with access, but I must admit I've found the British Library much easier. Assuming the service is still available as I haven't used it for a couple of years. You have to have the exact ref. as obviously they aren't going to do a search for you.

That's an outrageous fee, I really can't see how anyone can justify that sort of thing. It is counter productive as well as it surely stiffles research, yes I know the Unis have access but what is wrong with people outside of research establishments wanting to do their own research or just reading out of interest? Do you know what the School of Mines library like now they've moved to Falmouth, it wasn't bad when I was at CSM in Pool but geared towards mining and geology as you'd expect, now they've branched out into renewables and more environment type work their library may be less specific, and bigger on new premises.

M

Posted

Afraid not Moomin. I was actually going to pop down there last year but I'm not sure outside access is allowed. As you know we have the Cornwall Studies Centre in Redruth which is a brilliant resource although they don't have access to outside journals. Understandable with the current financial restrictions.

Posted

On a lighter note considering the dire situation in Syria.

Israeli irrigation expert wins World Food Prize

Daniel Hillel, who developied irrigation methods that help some of the world's driest countries, was named the winner of this year's $250,000 prize during a ceremony in Washington.

3134406121.jpg

WASHINGTON - An Israeli scientist who has reached across political and ethnic boundaries to help dozens of countries in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and South America improve agriculture with new irrigation methods will receive the World Food Prize, the prize's foundation announced on Tuesday.

Daniel Hillel, who is credited with developing drip irrigation methods that conserve water while allowing food to be grown in some of the world's driest climates, was named the winner of this year's $250,000 prize during a ceremony in Washington. He will officially receive the prize in October during the annual World Food Prize Symposium in Iowa.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/israeli-irrigation-expert-wins-world-food-prize-1.436021

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2012/5

2nd hottest May in the series (hottest in the n.Hemisphere)

Not bad for the global cooldown I keep being told we are in the middle of?

With a moderate Nino' now forecast how will the rest of the year pan out?