Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Updated BBC maps suggests heavy showers/downpours across the Midlands tomorrow. TV forecast also said possibly thundery with the lightning symbol. Not to say they will definately be thundery though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Current model suggest E Midlands, NE England, EA and the SE most favoured for heavy, thundery showers and isolated thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon given that these regions look to be under better cold pool near to upper low, with steeper mid-level lapse rates here. Again, some fairly strong DLS along due to fairly strong flow in the mid-levels which may overlap with best instability towards the latter part of afternoon and into evening, so another risk of any stronger cells becoming better organised and perhaps cluster together.

Probably wait for tomorrow morning's model output before sure on tomorrow and the following couple of days - storm potential shifting around quite a bit due to small changes in timing and positioning of upper low.

Indeed, E areas looking best. Certainly cant rule anything out here tough. I have noticed the storms risks have expanded and moved westwards slightly lately. :rofl:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Im going to give up on ever seeing another thunderstorm again lol

Even when i go abroad, It seems that i hit the best hot sunshine weather.

Talking to locals, Im always told that its strange theres no storms about tonight..

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

Friday doesnt hold a widespread risk no more, just the East but instead Saturday brings a widespread risk for Central, Eastern and Southern England and East Wales. Shows that things are still changing lots.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

An exciting weather day ahead!

anystorms would keep going through evening, hopefully light up the dusk sky, good luck to all storm lovers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

I'm back, from portugal. I had a Supercell form overhead and die overhead! strikes every 10 secounds it was great!, anything good here?

Posted

Are those storms too far out in the North Sea for them to affect the east coast today?

www.netweather.tv/convective weather forecast

They might be! We will wait and see :D

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Are those storms too far out in the North Sea for them to affect the east coast today?

Yes, quite a few strikes over central N Sea right in the centre of the low pressure there.

I think we will have to rely on home-grown storms that develop with the heat of day, given steering winds are from the N/NW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Not sure if this could be worth wathcing tonight for us in NE England. There could be some storms out in the North Sea, but I wonder if they could make it inland. GFS shows the PPN moving in overnigh.

I was hoping to see the meteor shower tonight, but I wouldn't mind being compensated with a different light show :D

post-3392-067175300 1281600909_thumb.png

post-3392-059146000 1281600910_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

There's been thunder storms on and off all night in Thônes, French Alps, and now I think something is building again. The forecast looks good until at least Sunday for storms, though the heat has ended now with temperatures stuck in the mid 20s.

Posted

Some heavy rain is aproaching stoke, could this turn thundery? Also that rain by cambridge seems to be getting heavyer in places.

It seems to look better this evening!!"

Edited by Vortex_Liam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Classic Cheshire Gap streamer here in the west midlands....not thundery in nature, (at least not now) with low cloud tops, but should still give plenty of rain over the next hour or two.......off topic, but I looked at the radar and thought if this was only in last winters cold spell....this would have been a snow dumping!

Just had a rather exciting thunderstorm here, started up about 15 minutes ago, lightning pretty close every minute or two, with really loud crackling thunder overhead. Very heavy rain and hail followed, roads now awash with torrents of water.

Surprising and very welcome!

edit: Thunder continuing now to my south east, every minute now, still reasonably close to. The core of the storm passed right overhead and became electrical, check postcode S18. I got very lucky it seems!

Edited by Steve Vincent

Posted

Just had a rather exciting thunderstorm here, started up about 15 minutes ago, lightning pretty close every minute or two, with really loud crackling thunder overhead. Very heavy rain and hail followed, roads now awash with torrents of water.

Surprising and very welcome!

edit: Thunder continuing now to my south east, every minute now, still reasonably close to. The core of the storm passed right overhead and became electrical, check postcode S18. I got very lucky it seems!

Yep, found it looks like it may be something to watch but i think it is just a small cell that has turn thundery! Do you think that rain near it is thundery or if it will explode soon?

Posted

No thundery showers about at the moment apart from that very little one posted above :D. Saturday looks like a very good chance here as long as it doesnt change. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

No thundery showers about at the moment apart from that very little one posted above :D. Saturday looks like a very good chance here as long as it doesnt change. :)

Yep, for me saturday and sunday look good acording to the GFS cape charts

Posted

The cell that passed over Blizzard is aproaching stoke!

Just passed over stoke moveing south east east :D

Edited by Vortex_Liam

Posted

Its dark here too,All the cells are moveing south east and the more southen cells are over b'ham :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

CG lightning in Notts now!!!! :D (note to self- do NOT stick head out of 3rd story skylight when there is lightning-- its not good for the heart)

Posted

Hope we have something over the next few days. 1 storm a year is ridiculous and even that was just a few bolts and thunder crashes. What a boring summer. :(

These next few days have a chance to regain a bit of life and hope in summer!

Posted

Alot of cells over the midlands, Moveing south east hopefully they will reach me and the more southen people on the fourm!